Re: Easy 'shine recipe I am having great success with...

  • flaming_pinto
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 1, 2004
      you should be seeing 12-13% abv by the end of the ferment. I don't
      have a particular brand of yeast I use, I try different ones based on
      what my brew shop has on hand.

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Rana Pipiens <ranawater@y...>
      wrote:
      > F Pinto, thanks for the recipe. Which lager yeasts have you used.
      What %abv do you expect from your mash before processing? Rana

      > flaming_pinto <flaming_pinto@y...> wrote:
      > I just wanted to let you guys know about a recipe for 'shine that
      is
      > working very well for me. This recipe makes the smoothest 'shine I
      > have been lucky enough to run through my still.
      >
      > 2 1LBS packages of corn meal (I know, it is a mess to work with)
      > 5 LBS table sugar
      > 1.5 LBS 6-row barley - well cracked
      > your favorite lager yeast
      >
      > Bring 4 gallons water to a boil, remove from heat and add in the
      corn
      > meal, stirring to prevent lumps.
      > Let sit for until cooled to 160F. The corn meal will thicken to a
      > very thick porrige.
      > At 160F, stir in barley. The starch from the corn meal will
      convert
      > almost instantly and the wort will thin to a soupy mix.
      > Let sit for 30 minutes at least, stirring occationally.
      > Bring 1 gallon of water to a boil.
      > Stir sugar into boiling water.
      > Pour barley/corn meal mixture into fermentor.
      > Add sugar-water to fermentor.
      > When the temp has dropped to correct temperature, still in your
      yeast.
      > Let sit two weeks (or until bubbling stops)
      >
      > Strain wort into your pot. I use a wire-mesh strainer. The corn
      > meal is so thick and guey at this point it will catch in the
      strainer
      > and the wort will slowly drain out. Rinse corn meal/grains well
      with
      > hot water to get all the wort.
      >
      > most people don't like dealing with corn meal but it will give your
      > brew the authentic flavor of corn without going threw the trouble
      of
      > boiling for two-three hours and then mashing for another hour.
      Just
      > make sure to use an appropriate strainer before distilling.
      >
      > /flaming_pinto

      > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      Service.