Re: Newbe and new equipment

  • popwahtosh
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 1, 2004
      E-mail this guy.....robertwarren@... He'll tell you all you
      want to know about the subject.

      Pop said that!

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Sven Pfitt" <the_gimp98@h...>
      wrote:
      > Aren't you confusing Methanol with Ethanol as to causing problems
      for
      > automobiles?
      >
      > Several states use blended fuels. Colorado is one of them that
      > has "Oxygneated" fuel (Fancy term for 5% ethanol blend).
      >
      > I believe that methanol was tried as an additive in place of
      ethanol,
      > and it was the alcohol that caused deteriation of the seals, etc.
      >
      > Sven
      >
      > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, dean <deanlil@p...> wrote:
      > > This is from memory and I'm sure I will be corrected if I'm
      wrong
      > but,
      > > any still that will produce over 80% will do the job for fuel so
      > any of
      > > the reflux designs will be of use to you be careful many older
      cars
      > and
      > > some of the newer cars will not like ethanol certain rubbers in
      the
      > fuel
      > > line will deteriorate very quickly clogging up carby's/injectors
      > here is
      > > a link to a guide on modifying your car
      > > http://terrasol.home.igc.org/alky/alky-contents.htm . if your
      > adding
      > > ethanol to fuel it must have very little water in it but if you
      > running
      > > purely on ethanol this isn't a problem as water and ethanol are
      > miscible
      > > in other words they like each other very much and mix.
      > > Try Tony's site for as much distilling info as you can handle
      > > http://homedistiller.org/ another option is type it into Google
      > there's
      > > plenty of sites covering just what your looking for.
      > >
      > > Dean.
      > ...snip...
    • popwahtosh
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 1, 2004
        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "popwahtosh" <popwahtosh@y...>
        wrote:
        > E-mail this guy...-robertwarren@m...He'll tell you all you
        > want to know about the subject.
        >
        > Pop said that!
        >

        > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Sven Pfitt" <the_gimp98@h...>
        > wrote:
        > > Aren't you confusing Methanol with Ethanol as to causing
        problems
        > for
        > > automobiles?
        > >
        > > Several states use blended fuels. Colorado is one of them that
        > > has "Oxygneated" fuel (Fancy term for 5% ethanol blend).
        > >
        > > I believe that methanol was tried as an additive in place of
        > ethanol,
        > > and it was the alcohol that caused deteriation of the seals,
        etc.

        > > Sven
        > >
        > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, dean <deanlil@p...> wrote:
        > > > This is from memory and I'm sure I will be corrected if I'm
        > wrong
        > > but,
        > > > any still that will produce over 80% will do the job for fuel
        so
        > > any of
        > > > the reflux designs will be of use to you be careful many older
        > cars
        > > and
        > > > some of the newer cars will not like ethanol certain rubbers
        in
        > the
        > > fuel
        > > > line will deteriorate very quickly clogging up
        carby's/injectors
        > > here is
        > > > a link to a guide on modifying your car
        > > > http://terrasol.home.igc.org/alky/alky-contents.htm . if your
        > > adding
        > > > ethanol to fuel it must have very little water in it but if
        you
        > > running
        > > > purely on ethanol this isn't a problem as water and ethanol
        are
        > > miscible
        > > > in other words they like each other very much and mix.
        > > > Try Tony's site for as much distilling info as you can handle
        > > > http://homedistiller.org/ another option is type it into
        Google
        > > there's
        > > > plenty of sites covering just what your looking for.
        > > >
        > > > Dean.
        > > ...snip...
      • Murphy-Marsh, Leigh
        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 1, 2004
          Strange as it may sound, I'd like my petroleum powered car to run on petrol, which I'm pretty sure it was originally designed for and I'm paying for at the pump, rather than all the other crap they stick in it to make higher profits. Ethanol or not!

          Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2004 12:46:11 -0000
          From: "Sven Pfitt" <the_gimp98@...>
          Subject: Re: Newbe and new equipment

          Aren't you confusing Methanol with Ethanol as to causing problems for
          automobiles?

          Several states use blended fuels. Colorado is one of them that
          has "Oxygneated" fuel (Fancy term for 5% ethanol blend).

          I believe that methanol was tried as an additive in place of ethanol,
          and it was the alcohol that caused deteriation of the seals, etc.

          Sven

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, dean <deanlil@p...> wrote:
          > This is from memory and I'm sure I will be corrected if I'm wrong
          but,
          > any still that will produce over 80% will do the job for fuel so
          any of
          > the reflux designs will be of use to you be careful many older cars
          and
          > some of the newer cars will not like ethanol certain rubbers in the
          fuel
          > line will deteriorate very quickly clogging up carby's/injectors
          here is
          > a link to a guide on modifying your car
          > http://terrasol.home.igc.org/alky/alky-contents.htm . if your
          adding
          > ethanol to fuel it must have very little water in it but if you
          running
          > purely on ethanol this isn't a problem as water and ethanol are
          miscible
          > in other words they like each other very much and mix.
          > Try Tony's site for as much distilling info as you can handle
          > http://homedistiller.org/ another option is type it into Google
          there's
          > plenty of sites covering just what your looking for.
          >
          > Dean.
          ...snip...
        • Peggy
          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 1, 2004
            Hi Pop,

            Or a person could visit Robert's web site at
            http://www.alcohol4fuel.com/id36.html. Robert is one of the BioFuels
            Energy Corporation founders. You can also contact George if you are
            interested in a larger scale fuel ethanol production facility
            (oertg@...). We are making stills (plus the adjunctive hardware)
            for production ranges of 70,000 to 1.5 million gallons a year.
            Unfortunately we are not involved in backyard stills, which is exactly
            what Robert has been promoting for over twenty-five years. And yes,
            Robert has excellent information both personally and through his web
            site which has over a thousand pages linked. Because his web site is
            specific to making your own fuel, he gives simple explanations and even
            has a neat little video clip attached. The Journey to Forever web site
            is also very good. Robert offers plans to build your still in a manner
            that passes TTB (BFAT) scrutiny for legally making your own fuel. For
            larger production quantities, we offer enhancements above and beyond the
            distilling process including a generator run by the biomass. (Well,
            sorry for the reiteration. I must sound repetitive at times. I just
            get so excited about the possibilities.) Now we are working on another
            potential forest slash project. This makes three in the queue-all of
            which are community economic development focused.

            I told my husband that I wanted to buy a fuel ethanol vehicle at this
            time. Instead he seems to be selecting a biodiesel alternative. Well,
            now, we will have to expand our focus to biodiesel production which is
            also a part of BioFuels Energy Corp-just not something that I know much
            about. Thanks to you people, I'm learning.

            Best wishes,
            Peggy

            > Aren't you confusing Methanol with Ethanol as to causing problems
            for
            > automobiles?
            >
            > Several states use blended fuels. Colorado is one of them that
            > has "Oxygneated" fuel (Fancy term for 5% ethanol blend).
            >
            > I believe that methanol was tried as an additive in place of
            ethanol,
            > and it was the alcohol that caused deteriation of the seals, etc.
            >
            > Sven
            >
            > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, dean <deanlil@p...> wrote:
            > > This is from memory and I'm sure I will be corrected if I'm
            wrong
            > but,
            > > any still that will produce over 80% will do the job for fuel so
            > any of
            > > the reflux designs will be of use to you be careful many older
            cars
            > and
            > > some of the newer cars will not like ethanol certain rubbers in
            the
            > fuel
            > > line will deteriorate very quickly clogging up carby's/injectors
            > here is
            > > a link to a guide on modifying your car
            > > http://terrasol.home.igc.org/alky/alky-contents.htm . if your
            > adding
            > > ethanol to fuel it must have very little water in it but if you
            > running
            > > purely on ethanol this isn't a problem as water and ethanol are
            > miscible
            > > in other words they like each other very much and mix.
            > > Try Tony's site for as much distilling info as you can handle
            > > http://homedistiller.org/ another option is type it into Google
            > there's
            > > plenty of sites covering just what your looking for.
            > >
            > > Dean.
            > ...snip...

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • popwahtosh
            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 1, 2004
              Thanks for the info, Peggy.I had lost Robert's URL. I too am
              beginning to get interested in alco fuel, but not on such a grand
              scale. I'll have to really do my homework before I tackle a diesel
              conversion. My dealer told me that a complete out-of frame overhaul
              of the engine in my Dodge truck could cost upwards to ten grand.
              That's scary since the engine has only 30,000 miles on It.

              I'm sure that if your husband is as passionate about this new
              concept as you are, you will be very succesful in your endeaver.
              (although it's not all that new. Just to our generation.)

              PS I understand that many cars that were built in the last 10 years
              are alco. ready.

              Don't know if that applies to diesel. You would know better than I.

              Lot of luck

              Pop

            • whynda
              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 2, 2004
                wrote:
                > Thanks for the info, Peggy.I had lost Robert's URL. I too am
                > beginning to get interested in alco fuel, but not on such a grand
                > scale. I'll have to really do my homework before I tackle a diesel
                > conversion. My dealer told me that a complete out-of frame overhaul
                > of the engine in my Dodge truck could cost upwards to ten grand.
                > That's scary since the engine has only 30,000 miles on It.
                >
                > hi Pop,
                Why are you considering taking the engine out of your truck at only
                30,000 miles? To run on Bio-diesel requires no modifcation of your
                engine other than to maybe have a fuel heater to stop the bio-diesel
                from solidifying in winter. Alternatively you run a mix of bio and
                mineral diesel to stop it solidifying. Most diesel engines made in the
                last ten years are able to run quite safely on bio-diesel as there is
                no detrimental effect to seals or gaskets in these engines. You can
                use either Methanol or Ethanol to make bio-diesel but Methanol does
                make a better end product. Your engine will last longer as bio-diesel
                is more slippery and thus you have less wear and it has a more
                agreeable smell. My Peugeot loves it.
              • dean
                Message 7 of 15 , Oct 2, 2004
                  Do you have a list of ingredients and instructions to make bio deisel.
                  My father is interested in running his 4WD on it.

                  Dean.

                  whynda wrote:

                  >--- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "popwahtosh" <popwahtosh@y...>
                  >wrote:
                  >

                  >>Thanks for the info, Peggy.I had lost Robert's URL. I too am
                  >>beginning to get interested in alco fuel, but not on such a grand
                  >>scale. I'll have to really do my homework before I tackle a diesel
                  >>conversion. My dealer told me that a complete out-of frame overhaul
                  >>of the engine in my Dodge truck could cost upwards to ten grand.
                  >>That's scary since the engine has only 30,000 miles on It.
                  >>
                  >>hi Pop,
                  >>

                  > Why are you considering taking the engine out of your truck at only
                  >30,000 miles? To run on Bio-diesel requires no modifcation of your
                  >engine other than to maybe have a fuel heater to stop the bio-diesel
                  >from solidifying in winter. Alternatively you run a mix of bio and
                  >mineral diesel to stop it solidifying. Most diesel engines made in the
                  >last ten years are able to run quite safely on bio-diesel as there is
                  >no detrimental effect to seals or gaskets in these engines. You can
                  >use either Methanol or Ethanol to make bio-diesel but Methanol does
                  >make a better end product. Your engine will last longer as bio-diesel
                  >is more slippery and thus you have less wear and it has a more
                  >agreeable smell. My Peugeot loves it.

                  >Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Peggy
                  Message 8 of 15 , Oct 2, 2004
                    Hello Dean,

                    Contact biofuel@... They consolidated biodiesel and fuel ethanol
                    into one group. However, 98% of the people are biodiesel people. Just
                    like the distiller's group, they have seasoned producers, numerous
                    reference sites, and newbes. The web site Journey to Forever also has
                    all the information you could need to make your biodiesel. Many home
                    catalogs are now offering small biodiesel production units for not too
                    much money. Finding your consistent good source of oil will be the
                    trick.

                    By the way, if anyone is interested in producing a larger quantity of
                    biodiesel for sale to others, we have a small manufacturing plant that
                    makes fuel ethanol stills and biodiesel production units. Our smallest
                    stils produce 70,000 gallons a year and the largest handles 1.5 million
                    gallons per year. We are not set up for beverage quality ethanol and
                    recommend total biomass production for the fuel ethanol (any cellulosic
                    waste). Hopefully, I can get a web site up soon as a better reference.

                    Best wishes,
                    Peggy
                    rpk@... Email

                    whynda wrote:

                    >--- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "popwahtosh" <popwahtosh@y...>
                    >wrote:
                    >

                    >>Thanks for the info, Peggy.I had lost Robert's URL. I too am
                    >>beginning to get interested in alco fuel, but not on such a grand
                    >>scale. I'll have to really do my homework before I tackle a diesel
                    >>conversion. My dealer told me that a complete out-of frame overhaul
                    >>of the engine in my Dodge truck could cost upwards to ten grand.
                    >>That's scary since the engine has only 30,000 miles on It.
                    >>
                    >>hi Pop,
                    >>

                    > Why are you considering taking the engine out of your truck at only
                    >30,000 miles? To run on Bio-diesel requires no modifcation of your
                    >engine other than to maybe have a fuel heater to stop the bio-diesel
                    >from solidifying in winter. Alternatively you run a mix of bio and
                    >mineral diesel to stop it solidifying. Most diesel engines made in the
                    >last ten years are able to run quite safely on bio-diesel as there is
                    >no detrimental effect to seals or gaskets in these engines. You can
                    >use either Methanol or Ethanol to make bio-diesel but Methanol does
                    >make a better end product. Your engine will last longer as bio-diesel
                    >is more slippery and thus you have less wear and it has a more
                    >agreeable smell. My Peugeot loves it.

                    >Yahoo! Groups Links

                    Yahoo! Groups Links
                  • popwahtosh
                    Message 9 of 15 , Oct 2, 2004
                      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "whynda" <hstuiber@s...> wrote:
                      > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "popwahtosh" <popwahtosh@y...>
                      > wrote:
                      > > Thanks for the info, Peggy.I had lost Robert's URL. I too am
                      > > beginning to get interested in alco fuel, but not on such a
                      grand
                      > > scale. I'll have to really do my homework before I tackle a
                      diesel
                      > > conversion. My dealer told me that a complete out-of frame
                      overhaul
                      > > of the engine in my Dodge truck could cost upwards to ten
                      grand.
                      > > That's scary since the engine has only 30,000 miles on It.
                      > >
                      > > hi Pop,
                      > Why are you considering taking the engine out of your truck at
                      only
                      > 30,000 miles? To run on Bio-diesel requires no modifcation of your
                      > engine other than to maybe have a fuel heater to stop the bio-
                      diesel
                      > from solidifying in winter. Alternatively you run a mix of bio and
                      > mineral diesel to stop it solidifying. Most diesel engines made in
                      the
                      > last ten years are able to run quite safely on bio-diesel as there
                      is
                      > no detrimental effect to seals or gaskets in these engines. You
                      can
                      > use either Methanol or Ethanol to make bio-diesel but Methanol
                      does
                      > make a better end product. Your engine will last longer as bio-
                      diesel
                      > is more slippery and thus you have less wear and it has a more
                      > agreeable smell. My Peugeot loves it.

                      I guess I should have been a little clearer. A person that is
                      supposed to be an expert on this subject told me tht since the
                      diesel engine has a much closer tolerance than gas engines, it is
                      more likely to be damaged if you dont have enough experince to screw
                      around with hiofuels conversions. He said it...not me. Of course, If
                      you ask a lot of questions, you get a lot of answers, and the odds
                      are, many of them are going to me wrong. You just have to hope you
                      have enouge common sense to determine who is just pounding sand up
                      your dress or who is credible.

                      Pop said that!