Re: Newbe and new equipment

  • lcfd42
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 1, 2004
      Hello all,
      I would like to interject a comment in regards to this subject. If
      you are using ethanol for fuel, ou will need to make sure all seals
      and o-rings in the system are made of silicone.
      I would suggest playing with an old carbureted engine until you can
      get the idea of how the fuel reacts to the engine operation. It does
      burn cooler, and requires a hotter plug to fire as well as a higher
      compression ratio for efficiency. You will find without changing the
      compression ratio you will find it takes quite a bit of fuel to
      operate, that is why high comp. is so important for a coomparable
      energy return.
      I like using ethanol for race fuel since it burns much cooler, and
      provides much greater adjustability than does gasoline, Yet has a
      high Octane rating.
      If interested in a blend, I would not worry much if you don't go
      over 8 to 12% ethanol.
      Just a thought,
      RobDawg
      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Sven Pfitt" <the_gimp98@h...>
      wrote:
      > Aren't you confusing Methanol with Ethanol as to causing problems
      for
      > automobiles?
      >
      > Several states use blended fuels. Colorado is one of them that
      > has "Oxygneated" fuel (Fancy term for 5% ethanol blend).
      >
      > I believe that methanol was tried as an additive in place of
      ethanol,
      > and it was the alcohol that caused deteriation of the seals, etc.
      >
      > Sven
      >
      > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, dean <deanlil@p...> wrote:
      > > This is from memory and I'm sure I will be corrected if I'm
      wrong
      > but,
      > > any still that will produce over 80% will do the job for fuel so
      > any of
      > > the reflux designs will be of use to you be careful many older
      cars
      > and
      > > some of the newer cars will not like ethanol certain rubbers in
      the
      > fuel
      > > line will deteriorate very quickly clogging up carby's/injectors
      > here is
      > > a link to a guide on modifying your car
      > > http://terrasol.home.igc.org/alky/alky-contents.htm . if your
      > adding
      > > ethanol to fuel it must have very little water in it but if you
      > running
      > > purely on ethanol this isn't a problem as water and ethanol are
      > miscible
      > > in other words they like each other very much and mix.
      > > Try Tony's site for as much distilling info as you can handle
      > > http://homedistiller.org/ another option is type it into Google
      > there's
      > > plenty of sites covering just what your looking for.
      > >
      > > Dean.
      > ...snip...
    • popwahtosh
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 1, 2004
        E-mail this guy.....robertwarren@... He'll tell you all you
        want to know about the subject.

        Pop said that!

        wrote:
        > Aren't you confusing Methanol with Ethanol as to causing problems
        for
        > automobiles?
        >
        > Several states use blended fuels. Colorado is one of them that
        > has "Oxygneated" fuel (Fancy term for 5% ethanol blend).
        >
        > I believe that methanol was tried as an additive in place of
        ethanol,
        > and it was the alcohol that caused deteriation of the seals, etc.
        >
        > Sven
        >
        > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, dean <deanlil@p...> wrote:
        > > This is from memory and I'm sure I will be corrected if I'm
        wrong
        > but,
        > > any still that will produce over 80% will do the job for fuel so
        > any of
        > > the reflux designs will be of use to you be careful many older
        cars
        > and
        > > some of the newer cars will not like ethanol certain rubbers in
        the
        > fuel
        > > line will deteriorate very quickly clogging up carby's/injectors
        > here is
        > > a link to a guide on modifying your car
        > > http://terrasol.home.igc.org/alky/alky-contents.htm . if your
        > adding
        > > ethanol to fuel it must have very little water in it but if you
        > running
        > > purely on ethanol this isn't a problem as water and ethanol are
        > miscible
        > > in other words they like each other very much and mix.
        > > Try Tony's site for as much distilling info as you can handle
        > > http://homedistiller.org/ another option is type it into Google
        > there's
        > > plenty of sites covering just what your looking for.
        > >
        > > Dean.
        > ...snip...
      • popwahtosh
        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 1, 2004
          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "popwahtosh" <popwahtosh@y...>
          wrote:
          > E-mail this guy...-robertwarren@m...He'll tell you all you
          > want to know about the subject.
          >
          > Pop said that!
          >

          > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Sven Pfitt" <the_gimp98@h...>
          > wrote:
          > > Aren't you confusing Methanol with Ethanol as to causing
          problems
          > for
          > > automobiles?
          > >
          > > Several states use blended fuels. Colorado is one of them that
          > > has "Oxygneated" fuel (Fancy term for 5% ethanol blend).
          > >
          > > I believe that methanol was tried as an additive in place of
          > ethanol,
          > > and it was the alcohol that caused deteriation of the seals,
          etc.

          > > Sven
          > >
          > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, dean <deanlil@p...> wrote:
          > > > This is from memory and I'm sure I will be corrected if I'm
          > wrong
          > > but,
          > > > any still that will produce over 80% will do the job for fuel
          so
          > > any of
          > > > the reflux designs will be of use to you be careful many older
          > cars
          > > and
          > > > some of the newer cars will not like ethanol certain rubbers
          in
          > the
          > > fuel
          > > > line will deteriorate very quickly clogging up
          carby's/injectors
          > > here is
          > > > a link to a guide on modifying your car
          > > > http://terrasol.home.igc.org/alky/alky-contents.htm . if your
          > > adding
          > > > ethanol to fuel it must have very little water in it but if
          you
          > > running
          > > > purely on ethanol this isn't a problem as water and ethanol
          are
          > > miscible
          > > > in other words they like each other very much and mix.
          > > > Try Tony's site for as much distilling info as you can handle
          > > > http://homedistiller.org/ another option is type it into
          Google
          > > there's
          > > > plenty of sites covering just what your looking for.
          > > >
          > > > Dean.
          > > ...snip...
        • Murphy-Marsh, Leigh
          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 1, 2004
            Strange as it may sound, I'd like my petroleum powered car to run on petrol, which I'm pretty sure it was originally designed for and I'm paying for at the pump, rather than all the other crap they stick in it to make higher profits. Ethanol or not!

            Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2004 12:46:11 -0000
            From: "Sven Pfitt" <the_gimp98@...>
            Subject: Re: Newbe and new equipment

            Aren't you confusing Methanol with Ethanol as to causing problems for
            automobiles?

            Several states use blended fuels. Colorado is one of them that
            has "Oxygneated" fuel (Fancy term for 5% ethanol blend).

            I believe that methanol was tried as an additive in place of ethanol,
            and it was the alcohol that caused deteriation of the seals, etc.

            Sven

            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, dean <deanlil@p...> wrote:
            > This is from memory and I'm sure I will be corrected if I'm wrong
            but,
            > any still that will produce over 80% will do the job for fuel so
            any of
            > the reflux designs will be of use to you be careful many older cars
            and
            > some of the newer cars will not like ethanol certain rubbers in the
            fuel
            > line will deteriorate very quickly clogging up carby's/injectors
            here is
            > a link to a guide on modifying your car
            > http://terrasol.home.igc.org/alky/alky-contents.htm . if your
            adding
            > ethanol to fuel it must have very little water in it but if you
            running
            > purely on ethanol this isn't a problem as water and ethanol are
            miscible
            > in other words they like each other very much and mix.
            > Try Tony's site for as much distilling info as you can handle
            > http://homedistiller.org/ another option is type it into Google
            there's
            > plenty of sites covering just what your looking for.
            >
            > Dean.
            ...snip...
          • Peggy
            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 1, 2004
              Hi Pop,

              Or a person could visit Robert's web site at
              http://www.alcohol4fuel.com/id36.html. Robert is one of the BioFuels
              Energy Corporation founders. You can also contact George if you are
              interested in a larger scale fuel ethanol production facility
              (oertg@...). We are making stills (plus the adjunctive hardware)
              for production ranges of 70,000 to 1.5 million gallons a year.
              Unfortunately we are not involved in backyard stills, which is exactly
              what Robert has been promoting for over twenty-five years. And yes,
              Robert has excellent information both personally and through his web
              site which has over a thousand pages linked. Because his web site is
              specific to making your own fuel, he gives simple explanations and even
              has a neat little video clip attached. The Journey to Forever web site
              is also very good. Robert offers plans to build your still in a manner
              that passes TTB (BFAT) scrutiny for legally making your own fuel. For
              larger production quantities, we offer enhancements above and beyond the
              distilling process including a generator run by the biomass. (Well,
              sorry for the reiteration. I must sound repetitive at times. I just
              get so excited about the possibilities.) Now we are working on another
              potential forest slash project. This makes three in the queue-all of
              which are community economic development focused.

              I told my husband that I wanted to buy a fuel ethanol vehicle at this
              time. Instead he seems to be selecting a biodiesel alternative. Well,
              now, we will have to expand our focus to biodiesel production which is
              also a part of BioFuels Energy Corp-just not something that I know much
              about. Thanks to you people, I'm learning.

              Best wishes,
              Peggy

              > Aren't you confusing Methanol with Ethanol as to causing problems
              for
              > automobiles?
              >
              > Several states use blended fuels. Colorado is one of them that
              > has "Oxygneated" fuel (Fancy term for 5% ethanol blend).
              >
              > I believe that methanol was tried as an additive in place of
              ethanol,
              > and it was the alcohol that caused deteriation of the seals, etc.
              >
              > Sven
              >
              > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, dean <deanlil@p...> wrote:
              > > This is from memory and I'm sure I will be corrected if I'm
              wrong
              > but,
              > > any still that will produce over 80% will do the job for fuel so
              > any of
              > > the reflux designs will be of use to you be careful many older
              cars
              > and
              > > some of the newer cars will not like ethanol certain rubbers in
              the
              > fuel
              > > line will deteriorate very quickly clogging up carby's/injectors
              > here is
              > > a link to a guide on modifying your car
              > > http://terrasol.home.igc.org/alky/alky-contents.htm . if your
              > adding
              > > ethanol to fuel it must have very little water in it but if you
              > running
              > > purely on ethanol this isn't a problem as water and ethanol are
              > miscible
              > > in other words they like each other very much and mix.
              > > Try Tony's site for as much distilling info as you can handle
              > > http://homedistiller.org/ another option is type it into Google
              > there's
              > > plenty of sites covering just what your looking for.
              > >
              > > Dean.
              > ...snip...

              Yahoo! Groups Links
            • popwahtosh
              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 1, 2004
                Thanks for the info, Peggy.I had lost Robert's URL. I too am
                beginning to get interested in alco fuel, but not on such a grand
                scale. I'll have to really do my homework before I tackle a diesel
                conversion. My dealer told me that a complete out-of frame overhaul
                of the engine in my Dodge truck could cost upwards to ten grand.
                That's scary since the engine has only 30,000 miles on It.

                I'm sure that if your husband is as passionate about this new
                concept as you are, you will be very succesful in your endeaver.
                (although it's not all that new. Just to our generation.)

                PS I understand that many cars that were built in the last 10 years
                are alco. ready.

                Don't know if that applies to diesel. You would know better than I.

                Lot of luck

                Pop

              • whynda
                Message 7 of 15 , Oct 2, 2004
                  wrote:
                  > Thanks for the info, Peggy.I had lost Robert's URL. I too am
                  > beginning to get interested in alco fuel, but not on such a grand
                  > scale. I'll have to really do my homework before I tackle a diesel
                  > conversion. My dealer told me that a complete out-of frame overhaul
                  > of the engine in my Dodge truck could cost upwards to ten grand.
                  > That's scary since the engine has only 30,000 miles on It.
                  >
                  > hi Pop,
                  Why are you considering taking the engine out of your truck at only
                  30,000 miles? To run on Bio-diesel requires no modifcation of your
                  engine other than to maybe have a fuel heater to stop the bio-diesel
                  from solidifying in winter. Alternatively you run a mix of bio and
                  mineral diesel to stop it solidifying. Most diesel engines made in the
                  last ten years are able to run quite safely on bio-diesel as there is
                  no detrimental effect to seals or gaskets in these engines. You can
                  use either Methanol or Ethanol to make bio-diesel but Methanol does
                  make a better end product. Your engine will last longer as bio-diesel
                  is more slippery and thus you have less wear and it has a more
                  agreeable smell. My Peugeot loves it.
                • dean
                  Message 8 of 15 , Oct 2, 2004
                    Do you have a list of ingredients and instructions to make bio deisel.
                    My father is interested in running his 4WD on it.

                    Dean.

                    whynda wrote:

                    >--- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "popwahtosh" <popwahtosh@y...>
                    >wrote:
                    >

                    >>Thanks for the info, Peggy.I had lost Robert's URL. I too am
                    >>beginning to get interested in alco fuel, but not on such a grand
                    >>scale. I'll have to really do my homework before I tackle a diesel
                    >>conversion. My dealer told me that a complete out-of frame overhaul
                    >>of the engine in my Dodge truck could cost upwards to ten grand.
                    >>That's scary since the engine has only 30,000 miles on It.
                    >>
                    >>hi Pop,
                    >>

                    > Why are you considering taking the engine out of your truck at only
                    >30,000 miles? To run on Bio-diesel requires no modifcation of your
                    >engine other than to maybe have a fuel heater to stop the bio-diesel
                    >from solidifying in winter. Alternatively you run a mix of bio and
                    >mineral diesel to stop it solidifying. Most diesel engines made in the
                    >last ten years are able to run quite safely on bio-diesel as there is
                    >no detrimental effect to seals or gaskets in these engines. You can
                    >use either Methanol or Ethanol to make bio-diesel but Methanol does
                    >make a better end product. Your engine will last longer as bio-diesel
                    >is more slippery and thus you have less wear and it has a more
                    >agreeable smell. My Peugeot loves it.

                    >Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Peggy
                    Message 9 of 15 , Oct 2, 2004
                      Hello Dean,

                      Contact biofuel@... They consolidated biodiesel and fuel ethanol
                      into one group. However, 98% of the people are biodiesel people. Just
                      like the distiller's group, they have seasoned producers, numerous
                      reference sites, and newbes. The web site Journey to Forever also has
                      all the information you could need to make your biodiesel. Many home
                      catalogs are now offering small biodiesel production units for not too
                      much money. Finding your consistent good source of oil will be the
                      trick.

                      By the way, if anyone is interested in producing a larger quantity of
                      biodiesel for sale to others, we have a small manufacturing plant that
                      makes fuel ethanol stills and biodiesel production units. Our smallest
                      stils produce 70,000 gallons a year and the largest handles 1.5 million
                      gallons per year. We are not set up for beverage quality ethanol and
                      recommend total biomass production for the fuel ethanol (any cellulosic
                      waste). Hopefully, I can get a web site up soon as a better reference.

                      Best wishes,
                      Peggy
                      rpk@... Email

                      whynda wrote:

                      >--- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "popwahtosh" <popwahtosh@y...>
                      >wrote:
                      >

                      >>Thanks for the info, Peggy.I had lost Robert's URL. I too am
                      >>beginning to get interested in alco fuel, but not on such a grand
                      >>scale. I'll have to really do my homework before I tackle a diesel
                      >>conversion. My dealer told me that a complete out-of frame overhaul
                      >>of the engine in my Dodge truck could cost upwards to ten grand.
                      >>That's scary since the engine has only 30,000 miles on It.
                      >>
                      >>hi Pop,
                      >>

                      > Why are you considering taking the engine out of your truck at only
                      >30,000 miles? To run on Bio-diesel requires no modifcation of your
                      >engine other than to maybe have a fuel heater to stop the bio-diesel
                      >from solidifying in winter. Alternatively you run a mix of bio and
                      >mineral diesel to stop it solidifying. Most diesel engines made in the
                      >last ten years are able to run quite safely on bio-diesel as there is
                      >no detrimental effect to seals or gaskets in these engines. You can
                      >use either Methanol or Ethanol to make bio-diesel but Methanol does
                      >make a better end product. Your engine will last longer as bio-diesel
                      >is more slippery and thus you have less wear and it has a more
                      >agreeable smell. My Peugeot loves it.

                      >Yahoo! Groups Links

                      Yahoo! Groups Links
                    • popwahtosh
                      Message 10 of 15 , Oct 2, 2004
                        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "whynda" <hstuiber@s...> wrote:
                        > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "popwahtosh" <popwahtosh@y...>
                        > wrote:
                        > > Thanks for the info, Peggy.I had lost Robert's URL. I too am
                        > > beginning to get interested in alco fuel, but not on such a
                        grand
                        > > scale. I'll have to really do my homework before I tackle a
                        diesel
                        > > conversion. My dealer told me that a complete out-of frame
                        overhaul
                        > > of the engine in my Dodge truck could cost upwards to ten
                        grand.
                        > > That's scary since the engine has only 30,000 miles on It.
                        > >
                        > > hi Pop,
                        > Why are you considering taking the engine out of your truck at
                        only
                        > 30,000 miles? To run on Bio-diesel requires no modifcation of your
                        > engine other than to maybe have a fuel heater to stop the bio-
                        diesel
                        > from solidifying in winter. Alternatively you run a mix of bio and
                        > mineral diesel to stop it solidifying. Most diesel engines made in
                        the
                        > last ten years are able to run quite safely on bio-diesel as there
                        is
                        > no detrimental effect to seals or gaskets in these engines. You
                        can
                        > use either Methanol or Ethanol to make bio-diesel but Methanol
                        does
                        > make a better end product. Your engine will last longer as bio-
                        diesel
                        > is more slippery and thus you have less wear and it has a more
                        > agreeable smell. My Peugeot loves it.

                        I guess I should have been a little clearer. A person that is
                        supposed to be an expert on this subject told me tht since the
                        diesel engine has a much closer tolerance than gas engines, it is
                        more likely to be damaged if you dont have enough experince to screw
                        around with hiofuels conversions. He said it...not me. Of course, If
                        you ask a lot of questions, you get a lot of answers, and the odds
                        are, many of them are going to me wrong. You just have to hope you
                        have enouge common sense to determine who is just pounding sand up
                        your dress or who is credible.

                        Pop said that!