Re: Newbe and new equipment

  • Sven Pfitt
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 1, 2004
      Aren't you confusing Methanol with Ethanol as to causing problems for
      automobiles?

      Several states use blended fuels. Colorado is one of them that
      has "Oxygneated" fuel (Fancy term for 5% ethanol blend).

      I believe that methanol was tried as an additive in place of ethanol,
      and it was the alcohol that caused deteriation of the seals, etc.

      Sven

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, dean <deanlil@p...> wrote:
      > This is from memory and I'm sure I will be corrected if I'm wrong
      but,
      > any still that will produce over 80% will do the job for fuel so
      any of
      > the reflux designs will be of use to you be careful many older cars
      and
      > some of the newer cars will not like ethanol certain rubbers in the
      fuel
      > line will deteriorate very quickly clogging up carby's/injectors
      here is
      > a link to a guide on modifying your car
      > http://terrasol.home.igc.org/alky/alky-contents.htm . if your
      adding
      > ethanol to fuel it must have very little water in it but if you
      running
      > purely on ethanol this isn't a problem as water and ethanol are
      miscible
      > in other words they like each other very much and mix.
      > Try Tony's site for as much distilling info as you can handle
      > http://homedistiller.org/ another option is type it into Google
      there's
      > plenty of sites covering just what your looking for.
      >
      > Dean.
      ...snip...
    • lcfd42
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 1, 2004
        Hello all,
        I would like to interject a comment in regards to this subject. If
        you are using ethanol for fuel, ou will need to make sure all seals
        and o-rings in the system are made of silicone.
        I would suggest playing with an old carbureted engine until you can
        get the idea of how the fuel reacts to the engine operation. It does
        burn cooler, and requires a hotter plug to fire as well as a higher
        compression ratio for efficiency. You will find without changing the
        compression ratio you will find it takes quite a bit of fuel to
        operate, that is why high comp. is so important for a coomparable
        energy return.
        I like using ethanol for race fuel since it burns much cooler, and
        provides much greater adjustability than does gasoline, Yet has a
        high Octane rating.
        If interested in a blend, I would not worry much if you don't go
        over 8 to 12% ethanol.
        Just a thought,
        RobDawg
        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Sven Pfitt" <the_gimp98@h...>
        wrote:
        > Aren't you confusing Methanol with Ethanol as to causing problems
        for
        > automobiles?
        >
        > Several states use blended fuels. Colorado is one of them that
        > has "Oxygneated" fuel (Fancy term for 5% ethanol blend).
        >
        > I believe that methanol was tried as an additive in place of
        ethanol,
        > and it was the alcohol that caused deteriation of the seals, etc.
        >
        > Sven
        >
        > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, dean <deanlil@p...> wrote:
        > > This is from memory and I'm sure I will be corrected if I'm
        wrong
        > but,
        > > any still that will produce over 80% will do the job for fuel so
        > any of
        > > the reflux designs will be of use to you be careful many older
        cars
        > and
        > > some of the newer cars will not like ethanol certain rubbers in
        the
        > fuel
        > > line will deteriorate very quickly clogging up carby's/injectors
        > here is
        > > a link to a guide on modifying your car
        > > http://terrasol.home.igc.org/alky/alky-contents.htm . if your
        > adding
        > > ethanol to fuel it must have very little water in it but if you
        > running
        > > purely on ethanol this isn't a problem as water and ethanol are
        > miscible
        > > in other words they like each other very much and mix.
        > > Try Tony's site for as much distilling info as you can handle
        > > http://homedistiller.org/ another option is type it into Google
        > there's
        > > plenty of sites covering just what your looking for.
        > >
        > > Dean.
        > ...snip...
      • popwahtosh
        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 1, 2004
          E-mail this guy.....robertwarren@... He'll tell you all you
          want to know about the subject.

          Pop said that!

          wrote:
          > Aren't you confusing Methanol with Ethanol as to causing problems
          for
          > automobiles?
          >
          > Several states use blended fuels. Colorado is one of them that
          > has "Oxygneated" fuel (Fancy term for 5% ethanol blend).
          >
          > I believe that methanol was tried as an additive in place of
          ethanol,
          > and it was the alcohol that caused deteriation of the seals, etc.
          >
          > Sven
          >
          > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, dean <deanlil@p...> wrote:
          > > This is from memory and I'm sure I will be corrected if I'm
          wrong
          > but,
          > > any still that will produce over 80% will do the job for fuel so
          > any of
          > > the reflux designs will be of use to you be careful many older
          cars
          > and
          > > some of the newer cars will not like ethanol certain rubbers in
          the
          > fuel
          > > line will deteriorate very quickly clogging up carby's/injectors
          > here is
          > > a link to a guide on modifying your car
          > > http://terrasol.home.igc.org/alky/alky-contents.htm . if your
          > adding
          > > ethanol to fuel it must have very little water in it but if you
          > running
          > > purely on ethanol this isn't a problem as water and ethanol are
          > miscible
          > > in other words they like each other very much and mix.
          > > Try Tony's site for as much distilling info as you can handle
          > > http://homedistiller.org/ another option is type it into Google
          > there's
          > > plenty of sites covering just what your looking for.
          > >
          > > Dean.
          > ...snip...
        • popwahtosh
          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 1, 2004
            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "popwahtosh" <popwahtosh@y...>
            wrote:
            > E-mail this guy...-robertwarren@m...He'll tell you all you
            > want to know about the subject.
            >
            > Pop said that!
            >

            > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Sven Pfitt" <the_gimp98@h...>
            > wrote:
            > > Aren't you confusing Methanol with Ethanol as to causing
            problems
            > for
            > > automobiles?
            > >
            > > Several states use blended fuels. Colorado is one of them that
            > > has "Oxygneated" fuel (Fancy term for 5% ethanol blend).
            > >
            > > I believe that methanol was tried as an additive in place of
            > ethanol,
            > > and it was the alcohol that caused deteriation of the seals,
            etc.

            > > Sven
            > >
            > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, dean <deanlil@p...> wrote:
            > > > This is from memory and I'm sure I will be corrected if I'm
            > wrong
            > > but,
            > > > any still that will produce over 80% will do the job for fuel
            so
            > > any of
            > > > the reflux designs will be of use to you be careful many older
            > cars
            > > and
            > > > some of the newer cars will not like ethanol certain rubbers
            in
            > the
            > > fuel
            > > > line will deteriorate very quickly clogging up
            carby's/injectors
            > > here is
            > > > a link to a guide on modifying your car
            > > > http://terrasol.home.igc.org/alky/alky-contents.htm . if your
            > > adding
            > > > ethanol to fuel it must have very little water in it but if
            you
            > > running
            > > > purely on ethanol this isn't a problem as water and ethanol
            are
            > > miscible
            > > > in other words they like each other very much and mix.
            > > > Try Tony's site for as much distilling info as you can handle
            > > > http://homedistiller.org/ another option is type it into
            Google
            > > there's
            > > > plenty of sites covering just what your looking for.
            > > >
            > > > Dean.
            > > ...snip...
          • Murphy-Marsh, Leigh
            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 1, 2004
              Strange as it may sound, I'd like my petroleum powered car to run on petrol, which I'm pretty sure it was originally designed for and I'm paying for at the pump, rather than all the other crap they stick in it to make higher profits. Ethanol or not!

              Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2004 12:46:11 -0000
              From: "Sven Pfitt" <the_gimp98@...>
              Subject: Re: Newbe and new equipment

              Aren't you confusing Methanol with Ethanol as to causing problems for
              automobiles?

              Several states use blended fuels. Colorado is one of them that
              has "Oxygneated" fuel (Fancy term for 5% ethanol blend).

              I believe that methanol was tried as an additive in place of ethanol,
              and it was the alcohol that caused deteriation of the seals, etc.

              Sven

              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, dean <deanlil@p...> wrote:
              > This is from memory and I'm sure I will be corrected if I'm wrong
              but,
              > any still that will produce over 80% will do the job for fuel so
              any of
              > the reflux designs will be of use to you be careful many older cars
              and
              > some of the newer cars will not like ethanol certain rubbers in the
              fuel
              > line will deteriorate very quickly clogging up carby's/injectors
              here is
              > a link to a guide on modifying your car
              > http://terrasol.home.igc.org/alky/alky-contents.htm . if your
              adding
              > ethanol to fuel it must have very little water in it but if you
              running
              > purely on ethanol this isn't a problem as water and ethanol are
              miscible
              > in other words they like each other very much and mix.
              > Try Tony's site for as much distilling info as you can handle
              > http://homedistiller.org/ another option is type it into Google
              there's
              > plenty of sites covering just what your looking for.
              >
              > Dean.
              ...snip...
            • Peggy
              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 1, 2004
                Hi Pop,

                Or a person could visit Robert's web site at
                http://www.alcohol4fuel.com/id36.html. Robert is one of the BioFuels
                Energy Corporation founders. You can also contact George if you are
                interested in a larger scale fuel ethanol production facility
                (oertg@...). We are making stills (plus the adjunctive hardware)
                for production ranges of 70,000 to 1.5 million gallons a year.
                Unfortunately we are not involved in backyard stills, which is exactly
                what Robert has been promoting for over twenty-five years. And yes,
                Robert has excellent information both personally and through his web
                site which has over a thousand pages linked. Because his web site is
                specific to making your own fuel, he gives simple explanations and even
                has a neat little video clip attached. The Journey to Forever web site
                is also very good. Robert offers plans to build your still in a manner
                that passes TTB (BFAT) scrutiny for legally making your own fuel. For
                larger production quantities, we offer enhancements above and beyond the
                distilling process including a generator run by the biomass. (Well,
                sorry for the reiteration. I must sound repetitive at times. I just
                get so excited about the possibilities.) Now we are working on another
                potential forest slash project. This makes three in the queue-all of
                which are community economic development focused.

                I told my husband that I wanted to buy a fuel ethanol vehicle at this
                time. Instead he seems to be selecting a biodiesel alternative. Well,
                now, we will have to expand our focus to biodiesel production which is
                also a part of BioFuels Energy Corp-just not something that I know much
                about. Thanks to you people, I'm learning.

                Best wishes,
                Peggy

                > Aren't you confusing Methanol with Ethanol as to causing problems
                for
                > automobiles?
                >
                > Several states use blended fuels. Colorado is one of them that
                > has "Oxygneated" fuel (Fancy term for 5% ethanol blend).
                >
                > I believe that methanol was tried as an additive in place of
                ethanol,
                > and it was the alcohol that caused deteriation of the seals, etc.
                >
                > Sven
                >
                > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, dean <deanlil@p...> wrote:
                > > This is from memory and I'm sure I will be corrected if I'm
                wrong
                > but,
                > > any still that will produce over 80% will do the job for fuel so
                > any of
                > > the reflux designs will be of use to you be careful many older
                cars
                > and
                > > some of the newer cars will not like ethanol certain rubbers in
                the
                > fuel
                > > line will deteriorate very quickly clogging up carby's/injectors
                > here is
                > > a link to a guide on modifying your car
                > > http://terrasol.home.igc.org/alky/alky-contents.htm . if your
                > adding
                > > ethanol to fuel it must have very little water in it but if you
                > running
                > > purely on ethanol this isn't a problem as water and ethanol are
                > miscible
                > > in other words they like each other very much and mix.
                > > Try Tony's site for as much distilling info as you can handle
                > > http://homedistiller.org/ another option is type it into Google
                > there's
                > > plenty of sites covering just what your looking for.
                > >
                > > Dean.
                > ...snip...

                Yahoo! Groups Links
              • popwahtosh
                Message 7 of 15 , Oct 1, 2004
                  Thanks for the info, Peggy.I had lost Robert's URL. I too am
                  beginning to get interested in alco fuel, but not on such a grand
                  scale. I'll have to really do my homework before I tackle a diesel
                  conversion. My dealer told me that a complete out-of frame overhaul
                  of the engine in my Dodge truck could cost upwards to ten grand.
                  That's scary since the engine has only 30,000 miles on It.

                  I'm sure that if your husband is as passionate about this new
                  concept as you are, you will be very succesful in your endeaver.
                  (although it's not all that new. Just to our generation.)

                  PS I understand that many cars that were built in the last 10 years
                  are alco. ready.

                  Don't know if that applies to diesel. You would know better than I.

                  Lot of luck

                  Pop

                • whynda
                  Message 8 of 15 , Oct 2, 2004
                    wrote:
                    > Thanks for the info, Peggy.I had lost Robert's URL. I too am
                    > beginning to get interested in alco fuel, but not on such a grand
                    > scale. I'll have to really do my homework before I tackle a diesel
                    > conversion. My dealer told me that a complete out-of frame overhaul
                    > of the engine in my Dodge truck could cost upwards to ten grand.
                    > That's scary since the engine has only 30,000 miles on It.
                    >
                    > hi Pop,
                    Why are you considering taking the engine out of your truck at only
                    30,000 miles? To run on Bio-diesel requires no modifcation of your
                    engine other than to maybe have a fuel heater to stop the bio-diesel
                    from solidifying in winter. Alternatively you run a mix of bio and
                    mineral diesel to stop it solidifying. Most diesel engines made in the
                    last ten years are able to run quite safely on bio-diesel as there is
                    no detrimental effect to seals or gaskets in these engines. You can
                    use either Methanol or Ethanol to make bio-diesel but Methanol does
                    make a better end product. Your engine will last longer as bio-diesel
                    is more slippery and thus you have less wear and it has a more
                    agreeable smell. My Peugeot loves it.
                  • dean
                    Message 9 of 15 , Oct 2, 2004
                      Do you have a list of ingredients and instructions to make bio deisel.
                      My father is interested in running his 4WD on it.

                      Dean.

                      whynda wrote:

                      >--- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "popwahtosh" <popwahtosh@y...>
                      >wrote:
                      >

                      >>Thanks for the info, Peggy.I had lost Robert's URL. I too am
                      >>beginning to get interested in alco fuel, but not on such a grand
                      >>scale. I'll have to really do my homework before I tackle a diesel
                      >>conversion. My dealer told me that a complete out-of frame overhaul
                      >>of the engine in my Dodge truck could cost upwards to ten grand.
                      >>That's scary since the engine has only 30,000 miles on It.
                      >>
                      >>hi Pop,
                      >>

                      > Why are you considering taking the engine out of your truck at only
                      >30,000 miles? To run on Bio-diesel requires no modifcation of your
                      >engine other than to maybe have a fuel heater to stop the bio-diesel
                      >from solidifying in winter. Alternatively you run a mix of bio and
                      >mineral diesel to stop it solidifying. Most diesel engines made in the
                      >last ten years are able to run quite safely on bio-diesel as there is
                      >no detrimental effect to seals or gaskets in these engines. You can
                      >use either Methanol or Ethanol to make bio-diesel but Methanol does
                      >make a better end product. Your engine will last longer as bio-diesel
                      >is more slippery and thus you have less wear and it has a more
                      >agreeable smell. My Peugeot loves it.

                      >Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Peggy
                      Message 10 of 15 , Oct 2, 2004
                        Hello Dean,

                        Contact biofuel@... They consolidated biodiesel and fuel ethanol
                        into one group. However, 98% of the people are biodiesel people. Just
                        like the distiller's group, they have seasoned producers, numerous
                        reference sites, and newbes. The web site Journey to Forever also has
                        all the information you could need to make your biodiesel. Many home
                        catalogs are now offering small biodiesel production units for not too
                        much money. Finding your consistent good source of oil will be the
                        trick.

                        By the way, if anyone is interested in producing a larger quantity of
                        biodiesel for sale to others, we have a small manufacturing plant that
                        makes fuel ethanol stills and biodiesel production units. Our smallest
                        stils produce 70,000 gallons a year and the largest handles 1.5 million
                        gallons per year. We are not set up for beverage quality ethanol and
                        recommend total biomass production for the fuel ethanol (any cellulosic
                        waste). Hopefully, I can get a web site up soon as a better reference.

                        Best wishes,
                        Peggy
                        rpk@... Email

                        whynda wrote:

                        >--- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "popwahtosh" <popwahtosh@y...>
                        >wrote:
                        >

                        >>Thanks for the info, Peggy.I had lost Robert's URL. I too am
                        >>beginning to get interested in alco fuel, but not on such a grand
                        >>scale. I'll have to really do my homework before I tackle a diesel
                        >>conversion. My dealer told me that a complete out-of frame overhaul
                        >>of the engine in my Dodge truck could cost upwards to ten grand.
                        >>That's scary since the engine has only 30,000 miles on It.
                        >>
                        >>hi Pop,
                        >>

                        > Why are you considering taking the engine out of your truck at only
                        >30,000 miles? To run on Bio-diesel requires no modifcation of your
                        >engine other than to maybe have a fuel heater to stop the bio-diesel
                        >from solidifying in winter. Alternatively you run a mix of bio and
                        >mineral diesel to stop it solidifying. Most diesel engines made in the
                        >last ten years are able to run quite safely on bio-diesel as there is
                        >no detrimental effect to seals or gaskets in these engines. You can
                        >use either Methanol or Ethanol to make bio-diesel but Methanol does
                        >make a better end product. Your engine will last longer as bio-diesel
                        >is more slippery and thus you have less wear and it has a more
                        >agreeable smell. My Peugeot loves it.

                        >Yahoo! Groups Links

                        Yahoo! Groups Links
                      • popwahtosh
                        Message 11 of 15 , Oct 2, 2004
                          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "whynda" <hstuiber@s...> wrote:
                          > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "popwahtosh" <popwahtosh@y...>
                          > wrote:
                          > > Thanks for the info, Peggy.I had lost Robert's URL. I too am
                          > > beginning to get interested in alco fuel, but not on such a
                          grand
                          > > scale. I'll have to really do my homework before I tackle a
                          diesel
                          > > conversion. My dealer told me that a complete out-of frame
                          overhaul
                          > > of the engine in my Dodge truck could cost upwards to ten
                          grand.
                          > > That's scary since the engine has only 30,000 miles on It.
                          > >
                          > > hi Pop,
                          > Why are you considering taking the engine out of your truck at
                          only
                          > 30,000 miles? To run on Bio-diesel requires no modifcation of your
                          > engine other than to maybe have a fuel heater to stop the bio-
                          diesel
                          > from solidifying in winter. Alternatively you run a mix of bio and
                          > mineral diesel to stop it solidifying. Most diesel engines made in
                          the
                          > last ten years are able to run quite safely on bio-diesel as there
                          is
                          > no detrimental effect to seals or gaskets in these engines. You
                          can
                          > use either Methanol or Ethanol to make bio-diesel but Methanol
                          does
                          > make a better end product. Your engine will last longer as bio-
                          diesel
                          > is more slippery and thus you have less wear and it has a more
                          > agreeable smell. My Peugeot loves it.

                          I guess I should have been a little clearer. A person that is
                          supposed to be an expert on this subject told me tht since the
                          diesel engine has a much closer tolerance than gas engines, it is
                          more likely to be damaged if you dont have enough experince to screw
                          around with hiofuels conversions. He said it...not me. Of course, If
                          you ask a lot of questions, you get a lot of answers, and the odds
                          are, many of them are going to me wrong. You just have to hope you
                          have enouge common sense to determine who is just pounding sand up
                          your dress or who is credible.

                          Pop said that!