Re: Lecithin emulsifier

  • mwmccaw
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 1, 2004
      Lecithin functions in the same way as soap. It is a molecule with a
      water loving end and a fat loving end, so the fat loving ends will
      stick into globules of fat, exposing their water-loving ends,
      stabilizing the globule and making it compatible with water.
      Using it or any other emulsion stabilizer, you will still get the
      best results if you can get the fat particles as small as possible -
      ie the blender, handblender, or homogenizer.
      Cheers,
      MM

      > Lecithin is a naturally occuring group of phospholipids.
      > For Viscosity Modification the level used is 0.2-0.6% of total
      > product weight.
      > Apparently 1 tablespoon of lecithin granules weighs about 7.5
      grams,
      > so 1 tbsp/litre of alcohol appears to be a suitable level.
      > It would be useful addition for Advocaat, Chocolate and Bailey's
      > Irish Cream liqueurs.
      >
      > http://www.americanlecithin.com/toc.htm
      > http://www.matlani.com/lecithin_p_grade.htm
      >
      > wal
    • Héctor A. Landaeta C.
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 2, 2004
        On 1/10/04 8:38 AM, "mwmccaw" <mwmccaw@...> wrote:

        > Lecithin functions in the same way as soap. It is a molecule with a
        > water loving end and a fat loving end, so the fat loving ends will
        > stick into globules of fat, exposing their water-loving ends,
        > stabilizing the globule and making it compatible with water.
        > Using it or any other emulsion stabilizer, you will still get the
        > best results if you can get the fat particles as small as possible -
        > ie the blender, handblender, or homogenizer.

        Guys I¹m deeply moved by your preoccupation about this problem of mine.
        Thanks, sincerely.
        I think it was a mix of every reply to my original message, Mike M¹s,
        Harry¹s, Walter¹s and all the others than got me on the right track to beat
        this one.
        Looks like 3 ml per liter (0.3 % V/V) of Soy Lecithin is a winner Walter.
        The sodium caseinate is proving very hard to find and it seems it won¹t be
        necessary to get to that complexity. Thorough mixing (homogenizing) is
        definitively the key Mike. And there should be a sequential order to the
        ingredient mixing Harry.
        I¹ll post the results tomorrow with both recipes (white and dark with milk).
        Thanks again.
        --
        Héctor Landaeta
        Colonia Tovar - Venezuela.

      • Spencer Ostrom
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 2, 2004
          "H�ctor A. Landaeta C." <coloniera@...> wrote:
          > Lecithin functions in the same way as soap. It is a molecule with a
          > water loving end and a fat loving end, so the fat loving ends will
          >I think it was a mix of every reply to my original message, Mike M�s,
          Harry�s, Walter�s and all the others than got me on the right track to beat
          this one.

          It is for posts like this that I delight in reading this discussion group.

          I was disappointed to read of the acrimony generated by the inclusion of a copyright symbol on an originally produced drawing.

          Everybody relax, if the intellectual property discussed here is of such commercial value that there are fights over ownership of of ideas then I want part of the action if it is worth so much money. If it is worth so much and is to be kept confidential then keep it out of the public domain.

          I believe the originator of the drawing is entitled to include an indication of copyright not necessarily of the ideas illustrated but of the drawing itself.

          I have learned so much just reading from this group it's not funny. Let's all try to get along and share our knowledge and expertise. I have no doubt we will all be richer for cooperating and sharing.

          Best regards,

          Spencer