Re: [Distillers] Re: Newbe and new equipment

  • dean
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 30, 2004
      Yeh, small quantities shouldnt, Kinda like a weak alcohol mix is ok in
      most containers while a strong alcohol say 96% would destroy or leach
      from some containers.

      Dean.

      pthoma_nz wrote:

      >--- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, dean <deanlil@p...> wrote:
      >

      >>This is from memory and I'm sure I will be corrected if I'm wrong
      >>

      >but,
      >

      >>any still that will produce over 80% will do the job for fuel so
      >>

      >any of
      >

      >>the reflux designs will be of use to you be careful many older
      >>

      >cars and
      >

      >>some of the newer cars will not like ethanol certain rubbers in
      >>

      >the fuel
      >

      >>line will deteriorate very quickly clogging up carby's/injectors
      >>

      >here is
      >

      >>a link to a guide on modifying your car
      >>http://terrasol.home.igc.org/alky/alky-contents.htm . if your
      >>

      >adding
      >
      >I read a couple of months back that the petrol companies in Oz have
      >approval to add up to 10% eth to their petrol without notifying the
      >public. I'm guessing it would be low in water, and due to high
      >petrol demand now. You could be driving on booze as we speak...
      >(type).. I guess this amount won't hurt the parts in the engine..

      >Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Sven Pfitt
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 1, 2004
        Aren't you confusing Methanol with Ethanol as to causing problems for
        automobiles?

        Several states use blended fuels. Colorado is one of them that
        has "Oxygneated" fuel (Fancy term for 5% ethanol blend).

        I believe that methanol was tried as an additive in place of ethanol,
        and it was the alcohol that caused deteriation of the seals, etc.

        Sven

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, dean <deanlil@p...> wrote:
        > This is from memory and I'm sure I will be corrected if I'm wrong
        but,
        > any still that will produce over 80% will do the job for fuel so
        any of
        > the reflux designs will be of use to you be careful many older cars
        and
        > some of the newer cars will not like ethanol certain rubbers in the
        fuel
        > line will deteriorate very quickly clogging up carby's/injectors
        here is
        > a link to a guide on modifying your car
        > http://terrasol.home.igc.org/alky/alky-contents.htm . if your
        adding
        > ethanol to fuel it must have very little water in it but if you
        running
        > purely on ethanol this isn't a problem as water and ethanol are
        miscible
        > in other words they like each other very much and mix.
        > Try Tony's site for as much distilling info as you can handle
        > http://homedistiller.org/ another option is type it into Google
        there's
        > plenty of sites covering just what your looking for.
        >
        > Dean.
        ...snip...
      • lcfd42
        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 1, 2004
          Hello all,
          I would like to interject a comment in regards to this subject. If
          you are using ethanol for fuel, ou will need to make sure all seals
          and o-rings in the system are made of silicone.
          I would suggest playing with an old carbureted engine until you can
          get the idea of how the fuel reacts to the engine operation. It does
          burn cooler, and requires a hotter plug to fire as well as a higher
          compression ratio for efficiency. You will find without changing the
          compression ratio you will find it takes quite a bit of fuel to
          operate, that is why high comp. is so important for a coomparable
          energy return.
          I like using ethanol for race fuel since it burns much cooler, and
          provides much greater adjustability than does gasoline, Yet has a
          high Octane rating.
          If interested in a blend, I would not worry much if you don't go
          over 8 to 12% ethanol.
          Just a thought,
          RobDawg
          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Sven Pfitt" <the_gimp98@h...>
          wrote:
          > Aren't you confusing Methanol with Ethanol as to causing problems
          for
          > automobiles?
          >
          > Several states use blended fuels. Colorado is one of them that
          > has "Oxygneated" fuel (Fancy term for 5% ethanol blend).
          >
          > I believe that methanol was tried as an additive in place of
          ethanol,
          > and it was the alcohol that caused deteriation of the seals, etc.
          >
          > Sven
          >
          > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, dean <deanlil@p...> wrote:
          > > This is from memory and I'm sure I will be corrected if I'm
          wrong
          > but,
          > > any still that will produce over 80% will do the job for fuel so
          > any of
          > > the reflux designs will be of use to you be careful many older
          cars
          > and
          > > some of the newer cars will not like ethanol certain rubbers in
          the
          > fuel
          > > line will deteriorate very quickly clogging up carby's/injectors
          > here is
          > > a link to a guide on modifying your car
          > > http://terrasol.home.igc.org/alky/alky-contents.htm . if your
          > adding
          > > ethanol to fuel it must have very little water in it but if you
          > running
          > > purely on ethanol this isn't a problem as water and ethanol are
          > miscible
          > > in other words they like each other very much and mix.
          > > Try Tony's site for as much distilling info as you can handle
          > > http://homedistiller.org/ another option is type it into Google
          > there's
          > > plenty of sites covering just what your looking for.
          > >
          > > Dean.
          > ...snip...
        • popwahtosh
          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 1, 2004
            E-mail this guy.....robertwarren@... He'll tell you all you
            want to know about the subject.

            Pop said that!

            wrote:
            > Aren't you confusing Methanol with Ethanol as to causing problems
            for
            > automobiles?
            >
            > Several states use blended fuels. Colorado is one of them that
            > has "Oxygneated" fuel (Fancy term for 5% ethanol blend).
            >
            > I believe that methanol was tried as an additive in place of
            ethanol,
            > and it was the alcohol that caused deteriation of the seals, etc.
            >
            > Sven
            >
            > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, dean <deanlil@p...> wrote:
            > > This is from memory and I'm sure I will be corrected if I'm
            wrong
            > but,
            > > any still that will produce over 80% will do the job for fuel so
            > any of
            > > the reflux designs will be of use to you be careful many older
            cars
            > and
            > > some of the newer cars will not like ethanol certain rubbers in
            the
            > fuel
            > > line will deteriorate very quickly clogging up carby's/injectors
            > here is
            > > a link to a guide on modifying your car
            > > http://terrasol.home.igc.org/alky/alky-contents.htm . if your
            > adding
            > > ethanol to fuel it must have very little water in it but if you
            > running
            > > purely on ethanol this isn't a problem as water and ethanol are
            > miscible
            > > in other words they like each other very much and mix.
            > > Try Tony's site for as much distilling info as you can handle
            > > http://homedistiller.org/ another option is type it into Google
            > there's
            > > plenty of sites covering just what your looking for.
            > >
            > > Dean.
            > ...snip...
          • popwahtosh
            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 1, 2004
              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "popwahtosh" <popwahtosh@y...>
              wrote:
              > E-mail this guy...-robertwarren@m...He'll tell you all you
              > want to know about the subject.
              >
              > Pop said that!
              >

              > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Sven Pfitt" <the_gimp98@h...>
              > wrote:
              > > Aren't you confusing Methanol with Ethanol as to causing
              problems
              > for
              > > automobiles?
              > >
              > > Several states use blended fuels. Colorado is one of them that
              > > has "Oxygneated" fuel (Fancy term for 5% ethanol blend).
              > >
              > > I believe that methanol was tried as an additive in place of
              > ethanol,
              > > and it was the alcohol that caused deteriation of the seals,
              etc.

              > > Sven
              > >
              > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, dean <deanlil@p...> wrote:
              > > > This is from memory and I'm sure I will be corrected if I'm
              > wrong
              > > but,
              > > > any still that will produce over 80% will do the job for fuel
              so
              > > any of
              > > > the reflux designs will be of use to you be careful many older
              > cars
              > > and
              > > > some of the newer cars will not like ethanol certain rubbers
              in
              > the
              > > fuel
              > > > line will deteriorate very quickly clogging up
              carby's/injectors
              > > here is
              > > > a link to a guide on modifying your car
              > > > http://terrasol.home.igc.org/alky/alky-contents.htm . if your
              > > adding
              > > > ethanol to fuel it must have very little water in it but if
              you
              > > running
              > > > purely on ethanol this isn't a problem as water and ethanol
              are
              > > miscible
              > > > in other words they like each other very much and mix.
              > > > Try Tony's site for as much distilling info as you can handle
              > > > http://homedistiller.org/ another option is type it into
              Google
              > > there's
              > > > plenty of sites covering just what your looking for.
              > > >
              > > > Dean.
              > > ...snip...
            • Murphy-Marsh, Leigh
              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 1, 2004
                Strange as it may sound, I'd like my petroleum powered car to run on petrol, which I'm pretty sure it was originally designed for and I'm paying for at the pump, rather than all the other crap they stick in it to make higher profits. Ethanol or not!

                Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2004 12:46:11 -0000
                From: "Sven Pfitt" <the_gimp98@...>
                Subject: Re: Newbe and new equipment

                Aren't you confusing Methanol with Ethanol as to causing problems for
                automobiles?

                Several states use blended fuels. Colorado is one of them that
                has "Oxygneated" fuel (Fancy term for 5% ethanol blend).

                I believe that methanol was tried as an additive in place of ethanol,
                and it was the alcohol that caused deteriation of the seals, etc.

                Sven

                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, dean <deanlil@p...> wrote:
                > This is from memory and I'm sure I will be corrected if I'm wrong
                but,
                > any still that will produce over 80% will do the job for fuel so
                any of
                > the reflux designs will be of use to you be careful many older cars
                and
                > some of the newer cars will not like ethanol certain rubbers in the
                fuel
                > line will deteriorate very quickly clogging up carby's/injectors
                here is
                > a link to a guide on modifying your car
                > http://terrasol.home.igc.org/alky/alky-contents.htm . if your
                adding
                > ethanol to fuel it must have very little water in it but if you
                running
                > purely on ethanol this isn't a problem as water and ethanol are
                miscible
                > in other words they like each other very much and mix.
                > Try Tony's site for as much distilling info as you can handle
                > http://homedistiller.org/ another option is type it into Google
                there's
                > plenty of sites covering just what your looking for.
                >
                > Dean.
                ...snip...
              • Peggy
                Message 7 of 15 , Oct 1, 2004
                  Hi Pop,

                  Or a person could visit Robert's web site at
                  http://www.alcohol4fuel.com/id36.html. Robert is one of the BioFuels
                  Energy Corporation founders. You can also contact George if you are
                  interested in a larger scale fuel ethanol production facility
                  (oertg@...). We are making stills (plus the adjunctive hardware)
                  for production ranges of 70,000 to 1.5 million gallons a year.
                  Unfortunately we are not involved in backyard stills, which is exactly
                  what Robert has been promoting for over twenty-five years. And yes,
                  Robert has excellent information both personally and through his web
                  site which has over a thousand pages linked. Because his web site is
                  specific to making your own fuel, he gives simple explanations and even
                  has a neat little video clip attached. The Journey to Forever web site
                  is also very good. Robert offers plans to build your still in a manner
                  that passes TTB (BFAT) scrutiny for legally making your own fuel. For
                  larger production quantities, we offer enhancements above and beyond the
                  distilling process including a generator run by the biomass. (Well,
                  sorry for the reiteration. I must sound repetitive at times. I just
                  get so excited about the possibilities.) Now we are working on another
                  potential forest slash project. This makes three in the queue-all of
                  which are community economic development focused.

                  I told my husband that I wanted to buy a fuel ethanol vehicle at this
                  time. Instead he seems to be selecting a biodiesel alternative. Well,
                  now, we will have to expand our focus to biodiesel production which is
                  also a part of BioFuels Energy Corp-just not something that I know much
                  about. Thanks to you people, I'm learning.

                  Best wishes,
                  Peggy

                  > Aren't you confusing Methanol with Ethanol as to causing problems
                  for
                  > automobiles?
                  >
                  > Several states use blended fuels. Colorado is one of them that
                  > has "Oxygneated" fuel (Fancy term for 5% ethanol blend).
                  >
                  > I believe that methanol was tried as an additive in place of
                  ethanol,
                  > and it was the alcohol that caused deteriation of the seals, etc.
                  >
                  > Sven
                  >
                  > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, dean <deanlil@p...> wrote:
                  > > This is from memory and I'm sure I will be corrected if I'm
                  wrong
                  > but,
                  > > any still that will produce over 80% will do the job for fuel so
                  > any of
                  > > the reflux designs will be of use to you be careful many older
                  cars
                  > and
                  > > some of the newer cars will not like ethanol certain rubbers in
                  the
                  > fuel
                  > > line will deteriorate very quickly clogging up carby's/injectors
                  > here is
                  > > a link to a guide on modifying your car
                  > > http://terrasol.home.igc.org/alky/alky-contents.htm . if your
                  > adding
                  > > ethanol to fuel it must have very little water in it but if you
                  > running
                  > > purely on ethanol this isn't a problem as water and ethanol are
                  > miscible
                  > > in other words they like each other very much and mix.
                  > > Try Tony's site for as much distilling info as you can handle
                  > > http://homedistiller.org/ another option is type it into Google
                  > there's
                  > > plenty of sites covering just what your looking for.
                  > >
                  > > Dean.
                  > ...snip...

                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                • popwahtosh
                  Message 8 of 15 , Oct 1, 2004
                    Thanks for the info, Peggy.I had lost Robert's URL. I too am
                    beginning to get interested in alco fuel, but not on such a grand
                    scale. I'll have to really do my homework before I tackle a diesel
                    conversion. My dealer told me that a complete out-of frame overhaul
                    of the engine in my Dodge truck could cost upwards to ten grand.
                    That's scary since the engine has only 30,000 miles on It.

                    I'm sure that if your husband is as passionate about this new
                    concept as you are, you will be very succesful in your endeaver.
                    (although it's not all that new. Just to our generation.)

                    PS I understand that many cars that were built in the last 10 years
                    are alco. ready.

                    Don't know if that applies to diesel. You would know better than I.

                    Lot of luck

                    Pop

                  • whynda
                    Message 9 of 15 , Oct 2, 2004
                      wrote:
                      > Thanks for the info, Peggy.I had lost Robert's URL. I too am
                      > beginning to get interested in alco fuel, but not on such a grand
                      > scale. I'll have to really do my homework before I tackle a diesel
                      > conversion. My dealer told me that a complete out-of frame overhaul
                      > of the engine in my Dodge truck could cost upwards to ten grand.
                      > That's scary since the engine has only 30,000 miles on It.
                      >
                      > hi Pop,
                      Why are you considering taking the engine out of your truck at only
                      30,000 miles? To run on Bio-diesel requires no modifcation of your
                      engine other than to maybe have a fuel heater to stop the bio-diesel
                      from solidifying in winter. Alternatively you run a mix of bio and
                      mineral diesel to stop it solidifying. Most diesel engines made in the
                      last ten years are able to run quite safely on bio-diesel as there is
                      no detrimental effect to seals or gaskets in these engines. You can
                      use either Methanol or Ethanol to make bio-diesel but Methanol does
                      make a better end product. Your engine will last longer as bio-diesel
                      is more slippery and thus you have less wear and it has a more
                      agreeable smell. My Peugeot loves it.
                    • dean
                      Message 10 of 15 , Oct 2, 2004
                        Do you have a list of ingredients and instructions to make bio deisel.
                        My father is interested in running his 4WD on it.

                        Dean.

                        whynda wrote:

                        >--- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "popwahtosh" <popwahtosh@y...>
                        >wrote:
                        >

                        >>Thanks for the info, Peggy.I had lost Robert's URL. I too am
                        >>beginning to get interested in alco fuel, but not on such a grand
                        >>scale. I'll have to really do my homework before I tackle a diesel
                        >>conversion. My dealer told me that a complete out-of frame overhaul
                        >>of the engine in my Dodge truck could cost upwards to ten grand.
                        >>That's scary since the engine has only 30,000 miles on It.
                        >>
                        >>hi Pop,
                        >>

                        > Why are you considering taking the engine out of your truck at only
                        >30,000 miles? To run on Bio-diesel requires no modifcation of your
                        >engine other than to maybe have a fuel heater to stop the bio-diesel
                        >from solidifying in winter. Alternatively you run a mix of bio and
                        >mineral diesel to stop it solidifying. Most diesel engines made in the
                        >last ten years are able to run quite safely on bio-diesel as there is
                        >no detrimental effect to seals or gaskets in these engines. You can
                        >use either Methanol or Ethanol to make bio-diesel but Methanol does
                        >make a better end product. Your engine will last longer as bio-diesel
                        >is more slippery and thus you have less wear and it has a more
                        >agreeable smell. My Peugeot loves it.

                        >Yahoo! Groups Links

                      • Peggy
                        Message 11 of 15 , Oct 2, 2004
                          Hello Dean,

                          Contact biofuel@... They consolidated biodiesel and fuel ethanol
                          into one group. However, 98% of the people are biodiesel people. Just
                          like the distiller's group, they have seasoned producers, numerous
                          reference sites, and newbes. The web site Journey to Forever also has
                          all the information you could need to make your biodiesel. Many home
                          catalogs are now offering small biodiesel production units for not too
                          much money. Finding your consistent good source of oil will be the
                          trick.

                          By the way, if anyone is interested in producing a larger quantity of
                          biodiesel for sale to others, we have a small manufacturing plant that
                          makes fuel ethanol stills and biodiesel production units. Our smallest
                          stils produce 70,000 gallons a year and the largest handles 1.5 million
                          gallons per year. We are not set up for beverage quality ethanol and
                          recommend total biomass production for the fuel ethanol (any cellulosic
                          waste). Hopefully, I can get a web site up soon as a better reference.

                          Best wishes,
                          Peggy
                          rpk@... Email

                          whynda wrote:

                          >--- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "popwahtosh" <popwahtosh@y...>
                          >wrote:
                          >

                          >>Thanks for the info, Peggy.I had lost Robert's URL. I too am
                          >>beginning to get interested in alco fuel, but not on such a grand
                          >>scale. I'll have to really do my homework before I tackle a diesel
                          >>conversion. My dealer told me that a complete out-of frame overhaul
                          >>of the engine in my Dodge truck could cost upwards to ten grand.
                          >>That's scary since the engine has only 30,000 miles on It.
                          >>
                          >>hi Pop,
                          >>

                          > Why are you considering taking the engine out of your truck at only
                          >30,000 miles? To run on Bio-diesel requires no modifcation of your
                          >engine other than to maybe have a fuel heater to stop the bio-diesel
                          >from solidifying in winter. Alternatively you run a mix of bio and
                          >mineral diesel to stop it solidifying. Most diesel engines made in the
                          >last ten years are able to run quite safely on bio-diesel as there is
                          >no detrimental effect to seals or gaskets in these engines. You can
                          >use either Methanol or Ethanol to make bio-diesel but Methanol does
                          >make a better end product. Your engine will last longer as bio-diesel
                          >is more slippery and thus you have less wear and it has a more
                          >agreeable smell. My Peugeot loves it.

                          >Yahoo! Groups Links

                          Yahoo! Groups Links
                        • popwahtosh
                          Message 12 of 15 , Oct 2, 2004
                            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "whynda" <hstuiber@s...> wrote:
                            > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "popwahtosh" <popwahtosh@y...>
                            > wrote:
                            > > Thanks for the info, Peggy.I had lost Robert's URL. I too am
                            > > beginning to get interested in alco fuel, but not on such a
                            grand
                            > > scale. I'll have to really do my homework before I tackle a
                            diesel
                            > > conversion. My dealer told me that a complete out-of frame
                            overhaul
                            > > of the engine in my Dodge truck could cost upwards to ten
                            grand.
                            > > That's scary since the engine has only 30,000 miles on It.
                            > >
                            > > hi Pop,
                            > Why are you considering taking the engine out of your truck at
                            only
                            > 30,000 miles? To run on Bio-diesel requires no modifcation of your
                            > engine other than to maybe have a fuel heater to stop the bio-
                            diesel
                            > from solidifying in winter. Alternatively you run a mix of bio and
                            > mineral diesel to stop it solidifying. Most diesel engines made in
                            the
                            > last ten years are able to run quite safely on bio-diesel as there
                            is
                            > no detrimental effect to seals or gaskets in these engines. You
                            can
                            > use either Methanol or Ethanol to make bio-diesel but Methanol
                            does
                            > make a better end product. Your engine will last longer as bio-
                            diesel
                            > is more slippery and thus you have less wear and it has a more
                            > agreeable smell. My Peugeot loves it.

                            I guess I should have been a little clearer. A person that is
                            supposed to be an expert on this subject told me tht since the
                            diesel engine has a much closer tolerance than gas engines, it is
                            more likely to be damaged if you dont have enough experince to screw
                            around with hiofuels conversions. He said it...not me. Of course, If
                            you ask a lot of questions, you get a lot of answers, and the odds
                            are, many of them are going to me wrong. You just have to hope you
                            have enouge common sense to determine who is just pounding sand up
                            your dress or who is credible.

                            Pop said that!