re-using spent wash

  • Rik
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 4, 2004
      What are the reasons (I know there's got to be some)
      for not re-using a spent sugar wash for the next batch--adding
      sugar, nurients, and yeast, and fermenting?

      Rik
    • Levi Langershank
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 4, 2004
        Why would you want to?...besides the sugar,nutrients and yeast,all you need
        is water...and some oxygen to get the yeast going...:>)

        >From: Rik <nisse@...>
        >To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [Distillers] re-using spent wash
        >Date: Sat, 04 Sep 2004 14:34:38 -0700
        >
        >What are the reasons (I know there's got to be some)
        >for not re-using a spent sugar wash for the next batch--adding
        >sugar, nurients, and yeast, and fermenting?
        >
        >Rik

      • Rik
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 4, 2004
          At 04:41 AM 9/5/2004 +0000, Levi Langershank wrote:
          >Why would you want to?...besides the sugar,nutrients and yeast,all you need
          >is water...and some oxygen to get the yeast going...:>)

          Because it would save me having to throw it away. It's also
          full of dead yeast--a nutrient, probably some unused yeast
          nutrient, and possibly some sugar--if the fermentation was
          incomplete.

          Rik

          > >What are the reasons (I know there's got to be some)
          > >for not re-using a spent sugar wash for the next batch--adding
          > >sugar, nurients, and yeast, and fermenting?
          > >
          > >Rik
        • Levi Langershank
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 4, 2004
            ...its full of cooked yeast...not sure if you want cooked yeast in your
            wash....give it a try and tell us how it turns out...good luck...:>)