Re: Poly Vinyl Chloride or PVC or Vinyl

  • abbababbaccc
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 3, 2004
      From my latest experiment I can tell you that braided PVC hose (clear
      type used for air tools) and hot 95% ethanol is not a good
      combination. I had such hose in my ARC right off the still(relatively
      hot ethanol coming out) and while the product that came out looked
      and smelled fine it went blueish and hazy when diluted. I've had this
      happen once before and at that time I was also using PVC hose with
      LM. After replacing the PVC hose with copper pipe all was well. Let
      us know if that nylex works, and try diluting the stuff to 40% to see
      if it changes colour.

      Greetz, Riku

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, dean <deanlil@p...> wrote:
      > Hi Guys, I phoned Blackwoods (an Industrial Supplier in OZ) to see
      if
      > they could recommend a 1/2 inch clear flexible tube thats resistant
      > alcohol and they came up with PH12TMP2 100 or TMP2 a Nylex product
      so I
      > ordered a meter, that night I looked on the Nylex web sight to
      check the
      > suitability of the tube only to find that it was a PVC product.
      after
      > searching the same sight I found a PDF chemical resistance table
      Showing
      > two PVC groups. Group one which includes TMP2 has good resistance
      > Ethyl Alcohol. the only problem is it a braided hose I was hoping
      for
      > clear. I was going to buy Glass tube to be safe but I can only buy
      2m
      > Lengths so I think ill use the hose for now and find some one who
      can
      > cut glass tube then replace it later.
      > Out of Interest to see what will happen the standard vinyl hose in
      37%
      > alcohol experiment is still going decided to leave it in a bit
      longer.

      > Dean.
      > dean wrote:
      >
      > > I just put a small piece of Vinyl tubing into the strongest
      alcohol I
      > > have that is Bourbon @ 37% (at least until I finish my still) to
      see
      > > the effect.
      > > ill post the results. If there is any effect at all I certainly
      wont
      > > be using it in My still. If anyone has any opinions, experience
      ETC.
      > > please don't let me use it if I shouldn't.
      > >
      > > Thanks
      > > Dean

    • dean
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 3, 2004
        I'm planning on using mine for a sight glass on the side of the boiler
        so the alcohol strength at the most will be say 40% at the top and
        Blackwoods said it will be fine but as soon as i can ill be changing to
        Glass better safe than sorry.