Re: [Distillers] Fruit wash.

  • dean
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 3, 2004
      Hi Spencer, Two words. Apple Cider.
      I typed it into a Google search and Quite a few recipes popped up Didn't
      read any of them but From memory you squash the apples to get the juice
      and ferment. I seem to remember cinimon was used somewhere in the recipe
      too. Now I don't think apple Cider was distilled but why not experiment
      I would think with a pot still and some fermented apple juice and
      cinimon you could make a nice little drop.
      I have no experience in this just my imagination running wild.

      Dean.

      Spencer Ostrom wrote:

      >Any recipe suggestions for an apple wash to run through my plumbers nightmare?
      >
      >We have unlimmited quantities of apples, pears, apricots, peaches etc.
      >
      >The desired end product is a fruit brandy on the dry side, ie not diluted alcohol flavored by a fruit infusion and sweetened.
      >
      >Should I be trying to achieve this goal by distillation of a fruit wash or should I be thinking of using a fruit distillate to fortify a fruit wine?
      >
      >I have read the State of Missouri fruit brandy study on the homedistiller.org site but would very much welcome any suggestions anybody might have.
      >
      >Thanks,

      >Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Scott Petrinec
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 3, 2004
        Yes...make apple cider and ferment it. Put about a gallon of the fermented cider aside in a cool place and let it clear(like wine). You don't have to use much sugar(unless you want a high%abv wash). The lower the abv in your wash, the better the flavor in the distilled product (the only downside is that you get less of a yeild). I fermented mine to 9%, and I only used 4lbs sugar. I ran mine through a pot yesterday, and will run it through a second time today. After that I will cut it down to 40%(80proof) by using the fermented cider that I put in my basement to clear.
        For pears, do the same thing.But cut it down to 80 proof with cleared pear juice instead of fermented pear juice.
        A pear and apple mix is real good too.
        for peaches and apricots, I use a different recipe.

        Spencer Ostrom wrote:

        >Any recipe suggestions for an apple wash to run through my plumbers nightmare?
        >
        >We have unlimmited quantities of apples, pears, apricots, peaches etc.
        >
        >The desired end product is a fruit brandy on the dry side, ie not diluted alcohol flavored by a fruit infusion and sweetened.
        >
        >Should I be trying to achieve this goal by distillation of a fruit wash or should I be thinking of using a fruit distillate to fortify a fruit wine?
        >
        >I have read the State of Missouri fruit brandy study on the homedistiller.org site but would very much welcome any suggestions anybody might have.
        >
        >Thanks,

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      • dean
        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 3, 2004
          Hi Scott, sounds like you know your stuff. If you don't mind Im
          collecting little bits and pieces of info e.g. Materials, making
          cuts,Aging techniques, recipes anything that i think will help later
          really and id like to add your recipe for future reference. So you put
          a gallon aside to clear, to cut with later ? is that correct. What size
          is your distilling wash. Can you give us your recipe including the
          amounts of each ingredient. When I get my still up and running and get
          used to it I'll remove my scrubbers and reflux condenser to give it a go.

          thanks.

          Dean.

          Scott Petrinec wrote:

          >Yes...make apple cider and ferment it. Put about a gallon of the fermented cider aside in a cool place and let it clear(like wine). You don't have to use much sugar(unless you want a high%abv wash). The lower the abv in your wash, the better the flavor in the distilled product (the only downside is that you get less of a yeild). I fermented mine to 9%, and I only used 4lbs sugar. I ran mine through a pot yesterday, and will run it through a second time today. After that I will cut it down to 40%(80proof) by using the fermented cider that I put in my basement to clear.
          > For pears, do the same thing.But cut it down to 80 proof with cleared pear juice instead of fermented pear juice.
          > A pear and apple mix is real good too.
          >for peaches and apricots, I use a different recipe.
          >
          >dean <deanlil@...> wrote:
          >Hi Spencer, Two words. Apple Cider.
          >I typed it into a Google search and Quite a few recipes popped up Didn't
          >read any of them but From memory you squash the apples to get the juice
          >and ferment. I seem to remember cinimon was used somewhere in the recipe
          >too. Now I don't think apple Cider was distilled but why not experiment
          >I would think with a pot still and some fermented apple juice and
          >cinimon you could make a nice little drop.
          >I have no experience in this just my imagination running wild.
          >
          >Dean.
          >
          >Spencer Ostrom wrote:
          >

          >>Any recipe suggestions for an apple wash to run through my plumbers nightmare?
          >>
          >>We have unlimmited quantities of apples, pears, apricots, peaches etc.
          >>
          >>The desired end product is a fruit brandy on the dry side, ie not diluted alcohol flavored by a fruit infusion and sweetened.
          >>
          >>Should I be trying to achieve this goal by distillation of a fruit wash or should I be thinking of using a fruit distillate to fortify a fruit wine?
          >>
          >>I have read the State of Missouri fruit brandy study on the homedistiller.org site but would very much welcome any suggestions anybody might have.
          >>
          >>Thanks,

          >>FAQ and other information at http://homedistiller.org
          >>Yahoo! Groups Links

          >FAQ and other information at http://homedistiller.org
          >

          >Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

          >Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Spencer Ostrom
          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 3, 2004
            I should have added that my boiler is a 58 litre stainless kg topped with a 2" valved reflux column packed with copper 1lb copper mesh (yet to arrive).

            I suspect that in order to retain much flavor in the finished product I will be returning very little condensate back to the column from the condensor compared with the volume of product drawn off.

            I have not run our creation yet and will start as reccomended with a water load the first time and then perhaps a sugar wash to get a feel for the operation.

            I do have a brewing history 14 years ago as brewmaster in a 20 hectolitre ale microbrewery so I have some knowledge. ( if a little bit of knowledge is dangerous is more knowledge more dangerouser?)

            Comments?

            Thanks.

          • Scott Petrinec
            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 3, 2004
              There are 2 different ways that I have done apple.
              1st-
              20lbs of apples(cored)with skins
              5lbs Sugar
              1/2cup lemon juice
              one 6oz can tomato paste
              15-25grams ec1118 yeast
              Put the apples in a 7 gallon bucket.
              Disolve 5 lbs sugar, tomato paste and lemon juice in 2-3 gallons boiling water.
              Pour the boiling mixture into the bucket with the apples. Let sit until it cools down to about 80degrees F.(do not add cold water to cool it,Letting it cool naturally will soften and draw juices from apples)
              Get a LARGE nylon straining bag or two(from a winemaking supplier)and strain the contents of the bucket through the bag(s) keeping as much pulp as possible in the straining bag(s). Tie the straining bag closed and place it in the bucket with the rest of the juice, top the bucket to 5 gallons with water, and add yeast(pre-started). Cover and let ferment for about a week or so...but make sure to press or squeeze the bag gently a couple times a day. After a week or so, take the nylon bag out of the wash squeeze the juices out into the bucket and discard all the pulp. Top the bucket to 5 gallons with water.
              Stir the wash vigorously a couple of times for a day or two.
              Cover and let ferment until airlock stops bubbling(about another week). At this time, put a gallons worth of the wash into a seperate gallon jug and set it aside in a cool dark place.
              Run the rest through a potstill twice.
              1st run, ... collect everything till the distilate is comming out at about 25%abv.
              2nd run,...discard the first 200ml(foreshots...apple tends to produce more methanol than other fruits). Keep collecting until the distilate is coming out at about 50%abv. (then collect the tails to throw in with your next run).
              Age it in or with uncharred white American oak until the gallon that you set aside is as clear as wine.(3 months) Mix the two together until it is between 35-40%abv. Age again on white American oak for about a year. filter, and get drunk. I'll give you another recipe in a day or two.....my fingers hurt.lol If there is anything that you think I should do differently, let me know, I like corrective critisizm on my recipes.

              ~Scott

                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 3, 2004
                  That's right, a pot still with a short column is
                  supposed to give more flavour than a reflux still with
                  no packing inside the column.

                  In France distilled apple cider is called Calvados.

                  Maxime Belair
                  ---------------------------------
[...]

                  Terms of Service.

                  Distillers list archives :
                  http://archive.nnytech.net/

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

                  Terms of Service.

                  Lèche-vitrine ou lèche-écran ?
                  magasinage.yahoo.ca
                • GWN
                  Message 8 of 16 , Sep 3, 2004
                    Greetings,

                    I use these 2 sites for all my inspiration:

                    http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/request.asp

                    http://www.winekitz.com/kitzcorner/Recipes/

                    http://www.eckraus.com/home-wine-making-recipes.asp

                    Actually, I guess thats 3...

                    GWN

                    --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Spencer Ostrom
                    <spencerostrom@y...> wrote:
                    > Any recipe suggestions for an apple wash to run through my
                    plumbers nightmare?

                    > We have unlimmited quantities of apples, pears, apricots, peaches
                    etc.

                    > The desired end product is a fruit brandy on the dry side, ie not
                    diluted alcohol flavored by a fruit infusion and sweetened.

                    > Should I be trying to achieve this goal by distillation of a fruit
                    wash or should I be thinking of using a fruit distillate to fortify
                    a fruit wine?

                    > I have read the State of Missouri fruit brandy study on the
                    homedistiller.org site but would very much welcome any suggestions
                    anybody might have.

                    > Thanks,

                  • dean
                    Message 9 of 16 , Sep 3, 2004
                      Thanks for the Great recipe Scott I hope I get a chance to use it one
                      day As other have recomended I would suggest that a pot still would Be
                      better for this application.

                      again thanks.
                      Dean.

                    • dean
                      Message 10 of 16 , Sep 3, 2004
                        Hi Guys, Has any one tried adapting a reflux still by removing a
                        percentage of the packing and not using a reflux condenser to get the
                        same effect as 2 to 3 runs through a pot still. Im sure it could be done
                        and would be interested to know if anyone has tried it and their
                        experiences.

                        Thanks.

                        Dean.

                        Maxime Belair wrote:

                        >That's right, a pot still with a short column is
                        >supposed to give more flavour than a reflux still with
                        >no packing inside the column.
                        >
                        >In France distilled apple cider is called Calvados.
                        >
                        >Maxime Belair
                        >---------------------------------
                        >If you want to run fruit, I would suggest building a
                        >simple Liebig codensor and potstill head for your keg.
                        >
                        >Spencer Ostrom <spencerostrom@...> wrote:I
                        >should have added that my boiler is a 58 litre
                        >stainless kg topped with a 2" valved reflux column
                        >packed with copper 1lb copper mesh (yet to arrive).
                        >
                        >I suspect that in order to retain much flavor in the
                        >finished product I will be returning very little
                        >condensate back to the column from the condensor
                        >compared with the volume of product drawn off.
                        >
                        >I have not run our creation yet and will start as
                        >reccomended with a water load the first time and then
                        >perhaps a sugar wash to get a feel for the operation.
                        >
                        >I do have a brewing history 14 years ago as
                        >brewmaster in a 20 hectolitre ale microbrewery so I
                        >have some knowledge. ( if a little bit of knowledge is
                        >dangerous is more knowledge more dangerouser?)
                        >

                        >Comments?
                        >
                        >Thanks.

                        >FAQ and other information at http://homedistiller.org
                        >

                        >Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                        >Terms of Service.

                        > Distillers list archives :
                        >http://archive.nnytech.net/
                        >

                        >Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

                        >Terms of Service.

                      • pthoma_nz
                        Message 11 of 16 , Sep 3, 2004
                          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, dean <deanlil@p...> wrote:
                          > Hi Guys, Has any one tried adapting a reflux still by removing a
                          > percentage of the packing and not using a reflux condenser to get
                          the
                          > same effect as 2 to 3 runs through a pot still. Im sure it could
                          be done
                          > and would be interested to know if anyone has tried it and their
                          > experiences.
                          >
                          > Thanks.
                          >
                          > Dean.

                          I use a NS offset attached straight to the boiler for my gin head.
                          Works fine.... I did have a small column attached but it made no
                          sense, I use a 600 watt element for boil and it only just hits the
                          78-80 mark. The stuff that goes in is mains vodka so I get to keep
                          everything that comes out...

                          peet
                        • Scott Petrinec
                          Message 12 of 16 , Sep 4, 2004
                            Even without the packing, and the reflux turned way down...you will still get quite a bit of reflux in the tower. If you insulate the tower alot it may help a bit. Give it a try and let us know how it goes.

                            dean <deanlil@...> wrote:Hi Guys, Has any one tried adapting a reflux still by removing a

                            Maxime Belair wrote:

                            >That's right, a pot still with a short column is
                            >supposed to give more flavour than a reflux still with
                            >no packing inside the column.
                            >
                            >In France distilled apple cider is called Calvados.
                            >
                            >Maxime Belair
                            >---------------------------------
                            >If you want to run fruit, I would suggest building a
                            >simple Liebig codensor and potstill head for your keg.
                            >
                            >Spencer Ostrom <spencerostrom@...> wrote:I
                            >should have added that my boiler is a 58 litre
                            >stainless kg topped with a 2" valved reflux column
                            >packed with copper 1lb copper mesh (yet to arrive).
                            >
                            >I suspect that in order to retain much flavor in the
                            >finished product I will be returning very little
                            >condensate back to the column from the condensor
                            >compared with the volume of product drawn off.
                            >
                            >I have not run our creation yet and will start as
                            >reccomended with a water load the first time and then
                            >perhaps a sugar wash to get a feel for the operation.
                            >
                            >I do have a brewing history 14 years ago as
                            >brewmaster in a 20 hectolitre ale microbrewery so I
                            >have some knowledge. ( if a little bit of knowledge is
                            >dangerous is more knowledge more dangerouser?)
                            >

                            >Comments?
                            >
                            >Thanks.

                            >FAQ and other information at http://homedistiller.org
                            >

                            >Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                            >Terms of Service.

                            > Distillers list archives :
                            >http://archive.nnytech.net/
                            >

                            >Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

                            >Terms of Service.

                            Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                          • Levi Langershank
                            Message 13 of 16 , Sep 4, 2004
                              My 'stripping' still is a reflux column with off-set water jacket style
                              condenser.....100% copper construction......I use it with no packing at all
                              and easily get 60% while running relatively fast....80-85% if I run it v e
                              r y slowly:>)

                              >From: dean <deanlil@...>
                              >Hi Guys, Has any one tried adapting a reflux still by removing a
                              >percentage of the packing and not using a reflux condenser to get the
                              >same effect as 2 to 3 runs through a pot still. Im sure it could be done
                              >and would be interested to know if anyone has tried it and their
                              >experiences.
                              >
                              >Thanks.
                              >
                              >Dean.

                            • dean
                              Message 14 of 16 , Sep 4, 2004
                                Hi Levi,
                                so you can adjust a Reflux still to get the same strength alcohol out as
                                the second run of a pot still. Is there any benefits to doing 2 runs in
                                a pot still over 1 run in a reflux still? surely a single run in an
                                appropriately adjusted reflux still is a more convenient option if the
                                results are the same.

                                just thinking out loud but does anyone have a comment.

                                Dean.

                                Levi Langershank wrote:

                                >My 'stripping' still is a reflux column with off-set water jacket style
                                >condenser.....100% copper construction......I use it with no packing at all
                                >and easily get 60% while running relatively fast....80-85% if I run it v e
                                >r y slowly:>)
                                >

                                >>From: dean <deanlil@...>
                                >>Hi Guys, Has any one tried adapting a reflux still by removing a
                                >>percentage of the packing and not using a reflux condenser to get the
                                >>same effect as 2 to 3 runs through a pot still. Im sure it could be done
                                >>and would be interested to know if anyone has tried it and their
                                >>experiences.
                                >>
                                >>Thanks.
                                >>
                                >>Dean.

                                >Yahoo! Groups Links

                              • Levi Langershank
                                Message 15 of 16 , Sep 4, 2004
                                  ...all I can tell you is I have no problem getting 60+% in my reflux still
                                  with zero packing...the column is 2" diameter and 48" long...I do only
                                  sugar-turbo washs and produce only 95-96% neutral spirit.....my best advice
                                  is to experiment and see what your results are...good luck...:>)