Re: Poly Vinyl Chloride or PVC or Vinyl

  • dean
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 3, 2004
      Hi Guys, I phoned Blackwoods (an Industrial Supplier in OZ) to see if
      they could recommend a 1/2 inch clear flexible tube thats resistant to
      alcohol and they came up with PH12TMP2 100 or TMP2 a Nylex product so I
      ordered a meter, that night I looked on the Nylex web sight to check the
      suitability of the tube only to find that it was a PVC product. after
      searching the same sight I found a PDF chemical resistance table Showing
      two PVC groups. Group one which includes TMP2 has good resistance to
      Ethyl Alcohol. the only problem is it a braided hose I was hoping for
      clear. I was going to buy Glass tube to be safe but I can only buy 2m
      Lengths so I think ill use the hose for now and find some one who can
      cut glass tube then replace it later.
      Out of Interest to see what will happen the standard vinyl hose in 37%
      alcohol experiment is still going decided to leave it in a bit longer.

      Dean.
      dean wrote:

      > I just put a small piece of Vinyl tubing into the strongest alcohol I
      > have that is Bourbon @ 37% (at least until I finish my still) to see
      > the effect.
      > ill post the results. If there is any effect at all I certainly wont
      > be using it in My still. If anyone has any opinions, experience ETC.
      > please don't let me use it if I shouldn't.
      >
      > Thanks
      > Dean

    • abbababbaccc
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 3, 2004
        From my latest experiment I can tell you that braided PVC hose (clear
        type used for air tools) and hot 95% ethanol is not a good
        combination. I had such hose in my ARC right off the still(relatively
        hot ethanol coming out) and while the product that came out looked
        and smelled fine it went blueish and hazy when diluted. I've had this
        happen once before and at that time I was also using PVC hose with
        LM. After replacing the PVC hose with copper pipe all was well. Let
        us know if that nylex works, and try diluting the stuff to 40% to see
        if it changes colour.

        Greetz, Riku

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, dean <deanlil@p...> wrote:
        > Hi Guys, I phoned Blackwoods (an Industrial Supplier in OZ) to see
        if
        > they could recommend a 1/2 inch clear flexible tube thats resistant
        > alcohol and they came up with PH12TMP2 100 or TMP2 a Nylex product
        so I
        > ordered a meter, that night I looked on the Nylex web sight to
        check the
        > suitability of the tube only to find that it was a PVC product.
        after
        > searching the same sight I found a PDF chemical resistance table
        Showing
        > two PVC groups. Group one which includes TMP2 has good resistance
        > Ethyl Alcohol. the only problem is it a braided hose I was hoping
        for
        > clear. I was going to buy Glass tube to be safe but I can only buy
        2m
        > Lengths so I think ill use the hose for now and find some one who
        can
        > cut glass tube then replace it later.
        > Out of Interest to see what will happen the standard vinyl hose in
        37%
        > alcohol experiment is still going decided to leave it in a bit
        longer.

        > Dean.
        > dean wrote:
        >
        > > I just put a small piece of Vinyl tubing into the strongest
        alcohol I
        > > have that is Bourbon @ 37% (at least until I finish my still) to
        see
        > > the effect.
        > > ill post the results. If there is any effect at all I certainly
        wont
        > > be using it in My still. If anyone has any opinions, experience
        ETC.
        > > please don't let me use it if I shouldn't.
        > >
        > > Thanks
        > > Dean

      • dean
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 3, 2004
          I'm planning on using mine for a sight glass on the side of the boiler
          so the alcohol strength at the most will be say 40% at the top and
          Blackwoods said it will be fine but as soon as i can ill be changing to
          Glass better safe than sorry.