Re: [Distillers] Re: Why the Gov't Enforces Stills

  • Carter Cathey
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 2, 2004
      Also, like Tobaco, they get the "sin" taxes vote. As if cancer and sorosis
      aren't bad enough, you have to pay a premium for the right to choose your
      own horible and painful death. Nobody fights too hard against new tax
      proposals for smokes and booze. It just wouldn't look right to be the
      congressman fighting for big tobacco regardless of whether the taxes are
      representative, fairly applied, or just.

      .
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 2, 2004
        In a message dated 8/31/04 5:12:58 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
        rmacdoug@... writes:
        Still ... seems to me that much of the fun and mystique of this hobby
        would be lost if it was perfectly legal.

        when immigrants first moved to America the immigrants thought it was their
        God given right to worship their religion and make whiskey. serious rebellions
        have come over taxation of moonshine. durin the 1800's moonshine was untaxed
        for round 60 years. bottom line is alcohol in any form is a major part of the
        governments revenue. the reason why we can't distill at home is because of the
        prohibition years when agelong heritage of an honorable drink became nothin
        more than a poison that mafia rings made money off of. hell America was founded
        and built on moonshine. what we need now is more people like ya'll ta keep an
        honorable tradition alive and reeducate why and how it was done with pride. and
        of course the tax free way.