Thoughts on Ray Toms Moonshine Still... my next choice?

  • Mike Purcell
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 1, 2004
      Hey Guys;

      I have read this digest for years now and have used many many of the
      reciepes etc from here now I need a little more help.

      A few years ago I bought Ray Toms "Moonshine still'

      http://www.moonshine.co.nz/spirit6.html

      It has served me well, it seems to make a product with about 84% at the end,
      which seems fine but alot of extra work is needed to strip away smell etc. I
      am just wondering what recommendations someone would have for my next still.
      I am fairly handy so could make it myself but I bought Ray's mostly because
      of the lack of effort on my part and of course price. He assured me it would
      come to Canada with little fuss, which of course it did. It runs well on
      220V and I have not made alot with it but have been happy since then.
      Recently one of my buddies who has borrowed mine and put alot of use onit
      has decided he wants mine and wants it bad, so this is a good time to get a
      new one and maybe to move up the technolgy ladder a few rungs.

      So a url to a nice and proven tower design or someone with a fairly good set
      of plans would be greatly appreciated.

      Thanks for all your help, and if possible please cc me any mail to the group
      just in case I miss somthing in the digest

      --
      Mike Purcell
      <mailto:MPurcell@...> MPurcell@...

    • abbababbaccc
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 1, 2004
        You should specify a bit more what type of still you want. Here's few
        questions:
        Do you make neutral ethanol or flavored drinks (whiskey, rum,
        brandies)?
        Do you want to sit by the still and take samples to decide the
        perfect cut, or do you just want to flip the switch and let pure
        ethanol run to the collection vessel?
        What's your typical mash size?
        Do you want to carbon filter or have pure stuff out of your still?
        How long should one run take?
        Do you want water or air cooled?

        Answer those and we can specify a rig for you to build.

        If you want to buy the still pda-1 from http://www.amphora-
        society.com/ is the best design currently available.

        Greetz, Riku