Re: Why the Gov't Enforces Stills

  • whynda
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 1, 2004
      If you sell it, then sales tax is applicable (the Government likes
      sales tax), but just for the priveledge of making it the government
      charges Excise (they also like excise). Excise is payable regardless
      of whether you have sold the product or not. As in all forms of
      Government there are obvious taxes and less obvious taxes, direct and
      indirect. Alcohol like Tobaco is an easy thing to tax because so many
      people are users and the majority of people are honest and pay the tax
      .

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Levi Langershank" <unit_77@h...>
      wrote:
      > It only becomes a tax issue if you sell it.....I would say that the
      large
      > majority of members here have no interest in making money off their
      > product....:>)

    • David
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 1, 2004
        In that respect, I think the fed. govt. sucks...Dave (Write me in the pen)

        At 10:53 AM 9/1/04 -0000, you wrote:
        >If you sell it, then sales tax is applicable (the Government likes
        >sales tax), but just for the priveledge of making it the government
        >charges Excise (they also like excise). Excise is payable regardless
        >of whether you have sold the product or not. As in all forms of
        >Government there are obvious taxes and less obvious taxes, direct and
        >indirect. Alcohol like Tobaco is an easy thing to tax because so many
        >people are users and the majority of people are honest and pay the tax
        >.
        >

        >--- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Levi Langershank" <unit_77@h...>
        >wrote:
        >> It only becomes a tax issue if you sell it.....I would say that the
        >large
        >> majority of members here have no interest in making money off their
        >> product....:>)

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Carter Cathey
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 2, 2004
          Also, like Tobaco, they get the "sin" taxes vote. As if cancer and sorosis
          aren't bad enough, you have to pay a premium for the right to choose your
          own horible and painful death. Nobody fights too hard against new tax
          proposals for smokes and booze. It just wouldn't look right to be the
          congressman fighting for big tobacco regardless of whether the taxes are
          representative, fairly applied, or just.

          .

        • confederaterebel@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 2, 2004
            In a message dated 8/31/04 5:12:58 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
            rmacdoug@... writes:
            Still ... seems to me that much of the fun and mystique of this hobby
            would be lost if it was perfectly legal.

            when immigrants first moved to America the immigrants thought it was their
            God given right to worship their religion and make whiskey. serious rebellions
            have come over taxation of moonshine. durin the 1800's moonshine was untaxed
            for round 60 years. bottom line is alcohol in any form is a major part of the
            governments revenue. the reason why we can't distill at home is because of the
            prohibition years when agelong heritage of an honorable drink became nothin
            more than a poison that mafia rings made money off of. hell America was founded
            and built on moonshine. what we need now is more people like ya'll ta keep an
            honorable tradition alive and reeducate why and how it was done with pride. and
            of course the tax free way.