PVC pipe

  • T. Durkin
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 31, 2004
      Regarding PVC pipe:
      Vinyl chloride, the building block ingredient of PVC, was discovered to be carcinogenic in the 1970's after a significant number of workers exposed to it developed a rare liver cancer called angiosarcoma. Soon after the discovery, the EPA began regulating vinyl chloride air emissions and levels in drinking water.

      While PVC pipes manufactured after 1977 are safer, many public water systems continue to use pipes manufactured prior to the implementation of the new process. These older pipes could still leach vinyl chloride into the water they carry. In 1998, for example, the Kansas Department of Health and Environment (KDHE) discovered that almost 10 percent of rural drinking water supplies tested positive for levels of vinyl chloride above EPA standards of two parts per billion.

      Another component of PVC pipes of concern are organotins. These metallic compounds, used to stabilize PVC plastic and guard against heat degradation, are found in about 30 percent of PVC products. Animal studies conducted worldwide throughout the 1990s have identified potential health problems associated with organotins, including birth defects, damage to the nervous system, and inflammation of the pancreas, resulting in bans or restrictions in use in some countries. In humans, organotins are known to cause memory loss and insomnia. In 1996, Canadian researchers discovered that organotins can seep from PVC pipes into drinking water.

      Although new PVC pipes meets standards that show that the PVC content does not chemically react with water, there is little research with regard to how it may chemically react with other liquids. In my humble opinion, consistently using PVC pipe in any process involving alcohol, which can act as a weak solvent, could accelerate leaching of vinyl chloride into the finished product.

      >From: dean <deanlil@...>
      .........Subject: Poly Vinyl Chloride or PVC or Vinyl