Re: Got a good gin recipe?

  • pthoma_nz
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 30, 2004
      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Maxime Belair
      <maxime_belair@y...> wrote:
      > Hi Peet,
      >
      > It is not clear to me how you
      > distilled your gin and from what. It seems like you
      > added the spices to the wash before distillation.

      I did pretty much what you did... the final result was better than I
      thought it was going to be, I needed to blend all product together
      heads,main,tails to get better flavours. I also diluted back to 40%
      but its too much juniper , I will do as you suggest and add more 40%
      vodka. The flavours are also not particularly balanced... I can see
      this will take a while...

      ta
      peet
    • pthoma_nz
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 31, 2004
        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "pthoma_nz" <pthoma_nz@y...>
        wrote:
        > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Maxime Belair
        > <maxime_belair@y...> wrote:
        > > Hi Peet,
        > >
        > > It is not clear to me how you
        > > distilled your gin and from what. It seems like you
        > > added the spices to the wash before distillation.
        > >

        > I did pretty much what you did... the final result was better than
        > thought it was going to be, I needed to blend all product together
        > heads,main,tails to get better flavours. I also diluted back to
        40%
        > but its too much juniper , I will do as you suggest and add more
        40%
        > vodka. The flavours are also not particularly balanced... I can
        see
        > this will take a while...
        >
        > ta
        > peet

        What do ya know!!! I diluted it and it just started getting
        better... the bitterness from junipers disappeared and it took on a
        sweet cinnamon flavour... I probally overcut it in the end and its
        lost a edgyness but it is now a fairly passable gin... thanx Maxime,
        I can't wait to finish this 5 litres so I can do another batch...
      • maxime_belair
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 31, 2004
          I'm happy to hear that this also works for you. All the recipes from homedistillers.org
          talk about using 25-35gr of spices/liter of 40% gin. This is way too strong! In fact
          this is a gin essence which you need to blend 30ml essence/720ml 40% neutral
          alcohol. This way, it really comes close to commercial gins depending on the spice
          blend you use.

          Maxime Belair

          ======