Got a good gin recipe?

  • pthoma_nz
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 30 5:07 AM
      I've read the gin recipe posts.... but ....

      Just fitted a NS head directly to my boiler. I've installed my 600
      watt element and water at a trickle is providing temps of 82C. As
      opposed to reflux column the rate that spirit is coming out is about
      a drop a second i.e. 300 ml / hour. The body of wash was 6 litres @
      40% following the standard gin recipe guides.

      So far i'm not too impressed.. my essences blends are far nicer...
      whats wrong?

      I'm only half way through stilling, I intend mixing the entire
      stilled product down to 40%, hopefully it will inprove...

      peet
    • K&J
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 30 11:52 AM
        there is some good information contained in Tony's site on "Gin Heads"
        worth reading.

        Cheers
        Ken Mc

        I've read the gin recipe posts.... but ....

        Just fitted a NS head directly to my boiler. I've installed my 600
        watt element and water at a trickle is providing temps of 82C. As
        opposed to reflux column the rate that spirit is coming out is about
        a drop a second i.e. 300 ml / hour. The body of wash was 6 litres @
        40% following the standard gin recipe guides.

        So far i'm not too impressed.. my essences blends are far nicer...
        whats wrong?

        I'm only half way through stilling, I intend mixing the entire
        stilled product down to 40%, hopefully it will inprove...

        peet

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        To visit your group on the web, go to:

      • Maxime Belair
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 30 5:13 PM
          Hi Peet,

          It is not clear to me how you
          distilled your gin and from what. It seems like you
          added the spices to the wash before distillation.

          Here's my method, I only made it once but it is close
          to what you can buy

          Distill some neutral alcohol, soak the spices in 50%
          alcohol for 24hr, and redistill with the herbs. Then I
          add 30ml of this distillate cut to 40% to 720ml of
          vodka to make a 750ml bottle.

          I used 20gr juniper berries + 10 gr. coriander and
          some others spices... just to give you an idea.

          Next time I'll change my spice quantities to make a
          more balanced flavour.

          Maxime Belair
          =====
          Just fitted a NS head directly to my boiler. I've
          installed my 600
          watt element and water at a trickle is providing temps
          of 82C. As
          opposed to reflux column the rate that spirit is
          coming out is about
          a drop a second i.e. 300 ml / hour. The body of wash
          was 6 litres @
          40% following the standard gin recipe guides.

          So far i'm not too impressed.. my essences blends are
          far nicer...
          whats wrong?

          I'm only half way through stilling, I intend mixing
          the entire
          stilled product down to 40%, hopefully it will
          inprove...

          peet

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          To visit your group on the web, go to:

          Terms of Service.

          Distillers list archives :
          http://archive.nnytech.net/

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

          Terms of Service.

          Lèche-vitrine ou lèche-écran ?
          magasinage.yahoo.ca
        • pthoma_nz
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 30 6:39 PM
            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Maxime Belair
            <maxime_belair@y...> wrote:
            > Hi Peet,
            >
            > It is not clear to me how you
            > distilled your gin and from what. It seems like you
            > added the spices to the wash before distillation.

            I did pretty much what you did... the final result was better than I
            thought it was going to be, I needed to blend all product together
            heads,main,tails to get better flavours. I also diluted back to 40%
            but its too much juniper , I will do as you suggest and add more 40%
            vodka. The flavours are also not particularly balanced... I can see
            this will take a while...

            ta
            peet
          • pthoma_nz
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 31 12:00 AM
              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "pthoma_nz" <pthoma_nz@y...>
              wrote:
              > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Maxime Belair
              > <maxime_belair@y...> wrote:
              > > Hi Peet,
              > >
              > > It is not clear to me how you
              > > distilled your gin and from what. It seems like you
              > > added the spices to the wash before distillation.
              > >

              > I did pretty much what you did... the final result was better than
              > thought it was going to be, I needed to blend all product together
              > heads,main,tails to get better flavours. I also diluted back to
              40%
              > but its too much juniper , I will do as you suggest and add more
              40%
              > vodka. The flavours are also not particularly balanced... I can
              see
              > this will take a while...
              >
              > ta
              > peet

              What do ya know!!! I diluted it and it just started getting
              better... the bitterness from junipers disappeared and it took on a
              sweet cinnamon flavour... I probally overcut it in the end and its
              lost a edgyness but it is now a fairly passable gin... thanx Maxime,
              I can't wait to finish this 5 litres so I can do another batch...
            • maxime_belair
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 31 4:16 PM
                I'm happy to hear that this also works for you. All the recipes from homedistillers.org
                talk about using 25-35gr of spices/liter of 40% gin. This is way too strong! In fact
                this is a gin essence which you need to blend 30ml essence/720ml 40% neutral
                alcohol. This way, it really comes close to commercial gins depending on the spice
                blend you use.

                Maxime Belair

                ======