Distillation Column.htm

  • Brian Poke
    Message 1 of 1 , May 4, 2001
      Distillation Column

      Distillation Column Example

      Temperature control of a distillation column is an important industrial application of process control. It is important to have tight temperature control of a column in order to optimize separation, avoid flooding, minimize steam costs, and maximize profit.

      Temperature Control

      The temperature control of the distillation column involves taking a temperature measurement and sending it to a distributed control system (DCS). The DCS contains software which manipulates a control valve that regulates steam flow to the reboiler. The block diagram is below:

      Transfer Function

      For this example, we'll assume that the process is second-order with the following transfer function:

      Gp = 1/(s2 + 10s + 20)

      For simplicity's sake we are assuming no gains in the instrumentation. The goal for this example is to control the distillation column temperature to 100 °F, minimize response time, and minimize overshoot.

      Open Loop Response

      The open loop response tells us what we need to work on with our controller. As most steam control valves fail to a closed position, without any control, the temperature will only rise 5 °F.

      P Control

      Proportional control is used to improve the rise time. It does bring the temperature close to the setpoint, but there is still a steady-state error. The following graph has a proportional gain, Kc = 300.

      PI Control

      The proportional-integral control response shows the steady-state error is eliminated. However, the settling time is still very large. We reduce the proportional gain to 30 because integral control accomplishes the same functon (reduces rise time and increases overshoot). The following graph displays the response of Kc = 30 and tI = 0.429.

      PD Control

      Proportional-derivative control improves the overshoot, but fails to improve the steady-state error. The following graph displays the response of PD control with Kc = 300 and tD = 0.033.

      PID Control

      Tuning proves the best response with Kc = 350 and tI = 1.17 and tD = 0.143. As shown below, the closed loop response for the combined proportional-integral-derivative control gives the quickest response with no overshoot and converges to the desired 100 °F.

      Thus, we can see that PID control is the optimal technique for temperature control of a distillation column.

      Go home.