The Great Yeast Debate

  • glennnat@southwest.com.au
    Message 1 of 2 , May 4, 2001
      It seems to me that the reusing of old yeast seems for the beer
      brewers ........if i was to reuse my 20 % yeast i would still have to
      get the exact nutrients any way so $7.10 for a pack of Turbo extra is
      pretty cheap for 10 ltres of spirit.

      My two cents worth!!

      Glenn
    • Tony & Elle Ackland
      Message 2 of 2 , May 4, 2001
        >It seems to me that the reusing of old yeast seems for the beer
        >brewers ........if i was to reuse my 20 % yeast i would still have to
        >get the exact nutrients any way so $7.10 for a pack of Turbo extra is
        >pretty cheap for 10 ltres of spirit.

        I've reached the same conclusion myself - using grains/malt etc you have a
        fairly healthy supply of nutrients already present, and just reusing the
        yeast is sufficient. But the cost of finding some decent diammonium
        phosphate or high strength ammonia to supply the nutrients for a
        sugar-water wash puts it on a par with just buying the Turbo packs, which
        (for me) have the greater reliability/repeatability.

        Tony