RE: [Distillers] Re-using yeast

  • Pete Sayers
    Message 1 of 4 , May 3, 2001
      Hi Bob, as i understand it yeast is a very resilient beastie, with all sorts of bad habits, good habits and a whole raft of idiosincracies. There was the story a few years ago, that the poms found an old ship wreck, and upon investigation, found a number of verrrryyyy old English Porter bottles. Some of the scientists got together, and regenerated the sediment from the bottoms of these bottles, and produced a viable strain of this very ancient yeast. It had been at the bottom of the ocean for centuries, yet was still able to be regenerated. In general terms the storage of a yeast culture can be achieved, with specific requirements to be adhered to. Some of the others on this group have vast knowledge on this subject, and most of them are only too happy to assist. Most of this info has already been covered to some degree.
      regards Pete