Re: [Distillers] Re-using yeast

  • Matt
    Message 1 of 4 , May 3, 2001
      On Thu, May 03, 2001 at 11:16:17AM +1000, Robert Elliott wrote:
      > One question I have regarding the storage of the yeast to be reused. I know that heat destroys yeast, but what about cold. Is it possible to fill a PET bottle and safely store it in the freezer for use at a latter date? From what I understand, yeast will lay dormant in that condition. True / False?

      Well Greg Noonan's _New Brewing Lager Beer_ does talk at length about how
      the industry does yeast culturing and storage, including freezing of
      cultures. I'll reread that part tonight to see if there's anything
      relevant. That is an excellent book, by the way, even if you're not a
      beer brewer. Very detailed breakdown of all the aspects of what enzyme is
      doing what action on what starch, and a good analysis of all-grain brewing
      and mashing.

      Another excellent all-purpose book is Rabin and Forget's _The Dictionary
      of Beer and Brewing_ 2nd Ed. It is more aimed at beer brewing of course
      but there's a lot of crossover information and it is really invaluable.
      It's even fun to just browse it :)

      Matthew @ psibercom
    • Pete Sayers
      Message 2 of 4 , May 3, 2001
        Hi Bob, as i understand it yeast is a very resilient beastie, with all sorts of bad habits, good habits and a whole raft of idiosincracies. There was the story a few years ago, that the poms found an old ship wreck, and upon investigation, found a number of verrrryyyy old English Porter bottles. Some of the scientists got together, and regenerated the sediment from the bottoms of these bottles, and produced a viable strain of this very ancient yeast. It had been at the bottom of the ocean for centuries, yet was still able to be regenerated. In general terms the storage of a yeast culture can be achieved, with specific requirements to be adhered to. Some of the others on this group have vast knowledge on this subject, and most of them are only too happy to assist. Most of this info has already been covered to some degree.
        regards Pete
        I've read with interest all the postings regarding the re-usage and storage of yeast and I find it interesting that there are opinions both for and against. It appears that there is no agreed answer to this question, so I guess it would come to personal decision/preference. It amazes me that we have expert distillers in the group with differing opinions (not being critical, as all the info provided is absorbed).

        One question I have regarding the storage of the yeast to be reused. I know that heat destroys yeast, but what about cold. Is it possible to fill a PET bottle and safely store it in the freezer for use at a latter date? From what I understand, yeast will lay dormant in that condition. True / False?

        Any comments appreciated.

        Regards,

        Bob.