Re: [Distillers] reusing yeast

  • Ted Palmer
    Message 1 of 5 , May 3, 2001
      I have found the problem often comes when people use too little yeast, don't
      build it up correctly or do not aerate their wort enough.
      You hit the nail on the head!
      I used to brew for the Thomas Kemper brewery and they were bought by Hart Brewing but the name didn't change to Thomas Hart Brewing. Perhaps it should have! :)
      _____________
      Ted Palmer
      tpalmer@...
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 29, 2004
        i like to make bourbon but i always use fresh yeast, how do i go
        about reusing what is in the mash, and do i have to add any fresh??
      • Scott Petrinec
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 29, 2004
          Keep the sludge that is on the bottom of the fermenter, add new wash to it, don't add any more yeast.

          crack <stinkypeepuss@...> wrote:i like to make bourbon but i always use fresh yeast, how do i go
          about reusing what is in the mash, and do i have to add any fresh??

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        • Spencer Ostrom
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 3, 2004
            From what I know each time you brew yeast multiplies.

            Only a small portion of yeast from a preceeding brew is required for to start the next. Even in continuous batch fermentation provision is made to draw off yeast.

            Also be aware that yeast will mutate after multiple generations perhaps developing undesirable properties. I do know that using some yeast from a preceeding brew will work for about 4-5 times from the original culture without problem.

            A benefit of doing this is that as long as the same brew is being made under the same environmental conditions the fermentation time will decrease as the yeast adapts.