RE: [Distillers] Results of first run

  • Ted Sims
    Message 1 of 4 , May 3 5:46 AM
      In answer to Pete's question, the original gravity was
      1.080, the final gravity was 1.015, which would
      predict 8.5%.

      I have kept the portions I collected separated, so I
      can't answer your third question except to suggest
      adding the numbers I gave, which comes out to 1250mL.
      If it were say, 90%, then I think the amount I
      collected before the tails seems smaller than would be
      expected. Do you think so?

      By the way, I didn't have enough of (6) to get a
      hydrometer reading on it, but it still burns. It
      smells like all heck though. I guess if I were using a
      pot still, this would be more pronounced throughout
      the run.

      So, I wondering...is this all my flavor in (5) and
      (6), and should I add it back to the rest of the run?
      The smell is strong, but it doesn't have wet cardboard
      even diluted. I would hate to throw the flavor out.

      Ted

      http://us.click.yahoo.com/TtO.UB/YKfCAA/tvCFAA/ePJVlB/TM

      > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      http://auctions.yahoo.com/
    • Ted Sims
      Message 2 of 4 , May 3 5:36 PM
        I don't think that using a reflux design necessarily
        negates the use of a malt wash. I think it depends on
        how you use the still. I don't think it matters
        technically whether you use a pot still or a reflux
        still, if when using a reflux still you save the right
        "fractions". This is the essence of what I am trying
        to achieve. I am trying to duplicate the results
        roughly equivalent of running three times through a
        pot still, by using a reflux still, saving the
        "fractions" separately, and recombining them in an
        appropriate way. I collected almost neutral spirit
        below 80 degrees, and strongly smelling (but not
        off-smelling) spirit up to about 84 degrees. I am
        going to combine everything I saved below 84 degrees,
        and see if it will make decent whiskey after it is
        matured.
        Is this logical or am I missing something?

        Ted

        http://auctions.yahoo.com/