Re-using yeast

  • Robert Elliott
    Message 1 of 4 , May 2, 2001
      Hi Group,

      I've read with interest all the postings regarding the re-usage and storage of yeast and I find it interesting that there are opinions both for and against. It appears that there is no agreed answer to this question, so I guess it would come to personal decision/preference. It amazes me that we have expert distillers in the group with differing opinions (not being critical, as all the info provided is absorbed).

      One question I have regarding the storage of the yeast to be reused. I know that heat destroys yeast, but what about cold. Is it possible to fill a PET bottle and safely store it in the freezer for use at a latter date? From what I understand, yeast will lay dormant in that condition. True / False?

      Any comments appreciated.

      Regards,

      Bob.
    • Ted Palmer
      Message 2 of 4 , May 3, 2001
        Hi Bob,
        Those that oppose reusing yeast in this group seem to have financial reasons for their position without any scientific basis to back them up. Homebrew shops have had a problem that as the customers gain knowledge and expertise they buy less materials like yeast because they learn to reuse it and share it with others. This leaves the shops with excess supplies that are perishable and they take a hit to the bottom line. I've seen this close many shops over the decades. Since the subject is yeast, what can a shop owner do to keep the customers coming back? They could sell yeast slurry or vigorous starters grown in the shop. If there is a brewery nearby, work out a deal to get a 5 gallon bucket of slurry each week and sell it by the cup. I'm sure others in this group can think of ways the shop owners could add value and convenience to their offerings. So lets hear them everybody!

        In regards to freezing yeast, don't. The viability will suffer by more than 50% even if only stored for a short time. Freezing is however a useful method for storage of a year or more but the yeast must be brought back to life as if it were taken from a slant i.e. a few cells grown up to your needed pitching rate.
        _____________
        Ted Palmer
        tpalmer@...
        Message 3 of 4 , May 3, 2001
          On Thu, May 03, 2001 at 11:16:17AM +1000, Robert Elliott wrote:
          > One question I have regarding the storage of the yeast to be reused. I know that heat destroys yeast, but what about cold. Is it possible to fill a PET bottle and safely store it in the freezer for use at a latter date? From what I understand, yeast will lay dormant in that condition. True / False?

          Well Greg Noonan's _New Brewing Lager Beer_ does talk at length about how
          the industry does yeast culturing and storage, including freezing of
          cultures. I'll reread that part tonight to see if there's anything
          relevant. That is an excellent book, by the way, even if you're not a
          beer brewer. Very detailed breakdown of all the aspects of what enzyme is
          doing what action on what starch, and a good analysis of all-grain brewing
          and mashing.

          Another excellent all-purpose book is Rabin and Forget's _The Dictionary
          of Beer and Brewing_ 2nd Ed. It is more aimed at beer brewing of course
          but there's a lot of crossover information and it is really invaluable.
          It's even fun to just browse it :)

          Matthew @ psibercom
        • Pete Sayers
          Message 4 of 4 , May 3, 2001
            Hi Bob, as i understand it yeast is a very resilient beastie, with all sorts of bad habits, good habits and a whole raft of idiosincracies. There was the story a few years ago, that the poms found an old ship wreck, and upon investigation, found a number of verrrryyyy old English Porter bottles. Some of the scientists got together, and regenerated the sediment from the bottoms of these bottles, and produced a viable strain of this very ancient yeast. It had been at the bottom of the ocean for centuries, yet was still able to be regenerated. In general terms the storage of a yeast culture can be achieved, with specific requirements to be adhered to. Some of the others on this group have vast knowledge on this subject, and most of them are only too happy to assist. Most of this info has already been covered to some degree.
            regards Pete