Results of first run

  • Ted Sims
    Message 1 of 4 , May 2, 2001
      I want to make a report here on the first run of my
      still, soliciting comments. Please let me know if you
      think this went well.

      I'll send in a report about the still itself after I
      get the pictures back, but basically, it is a column
      still with a five gallon boiler, an insulated column
      about 24 inches high, made out of 1 inch copper pipe,
      filled with copper pot scrubbers. Above the column,
      there is short jacketed condenser for reflux. The main
      condenser is made of 3/4" pipe surrounding a 1/2"
      pipe.

      I had 5 gallons of "beer" made of plain malt extract.

      When vapor began to appear in the top of the column,
      the temperature oscillated erratically for about an
      hour and a half, and finally stabilized at 78 degrees.
      At this point, there had been no output. I became
      impatient, and turned up the heat slightly.

      By the, way, I have no idea how good my thermometer
      is, actually. I mean to say, I haven't calibrated it.

      I started getting condensate when I increased the
      heat. The temp. then went to 78.8 degrees and stayed
      within a few tenths of this for a couple of hours.

      Here is the output...the percent numbers are hydometer
      readings.

      (1) The first 70 mL I threw out
      (2) below 79 degrees., collected 430 mL, 93%, mild
      odor
      (3) 79 to 79.6 degrees, collected 330mL, 92%, mild
      odor
      (4) 79.6 to 81.1 degrees,collected 260mL, 89%,
      distinct malt spirits odor
      (5) 81 to 84 degrees, collected 130 mL, 87%, strong
      malt spirits odor
      (6) 84-90 degrees, collected <100mL, strong and
      unpleasant malt spirits odor.

      I stopped at this point. I'm inclined to throw out (6)
      and maybe (5) also.

      I diluted all of the collections above to 50% alcohol,
      and the character of the odor stayed about the same,
      but was stronger.

      The stuff of (2), I sipped on a bit, and a brave
      friend insisted on taking a shot of it before I could
      stop him. You can drink it and it tastes ok, but it
      isn't exactly what one would call smooth.

      Ted S.

      http://auctions.yahoo.com/
    • Pete Sayers
      Message 2 of 4 , May 2, 2001
        Ted, i have a couple of questions.
        1 What was your original gravity.
        2 What was your final gravity.
        3 And what was the total volume collected, after adding 2,3,4,5,6,together,
        and at what strength.
        Pete

        Message 3 of 4 , May 3, 2001
          In answer to Pete's question, the original gravity was
          1.080, the final gravity was 1.015, which would
          predict 8.5%.

          I have kept the portions I collected separated, so I
          can't answer your third question except to suggest
          adding the numbers I gave, which comes out to 1250mL.
          If it were say, 90%, then I think the amount I
          collected before the tails seems smaller than would be
          expected. Do you think so?

          By the way, I didn't have enough of (6) to get a
          hydrometer reading on it, but it still burns. It
          smells like all heck though. I guess if I were using a
          pot still, this would be more pronounced throughout
          the run.

          So, I wondering...is this all my flavor in (5) and
          (6), and should I add it back to the rest of the run?
          The smell is strong, but it doesn't have wet cardboard
          even diluted. I would hate to throw the flavor out.

          Ted

          http://us.click.yahoo.com/TtO.UB/YKfCAA/tvCFAA/ePJVlB/TM

          > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          http://auctions.yahoo.com/
        • Ted Sims
          Message 4 of 4 , May 3, 2001
            I don't think that using a reflux design necessarily
            negates the use of a malt wash. I think it depends on
            how you use the still. I don't think it matters
            technically whether you use a pot still or a reflux
            still, if when using a reflux still you save the right
            "fractions". This is the essence of what I am trying
            to achieve. I am trying to duplicate the results
            roughly equivalent of running three times through a
            pot still, by using a reflux still, saving the
            "fractions" separately, and recombining them in an
            appropriate way. I collected almost neutral spirit
            below 80 degrees, and strongly smelling (but not
            off-smelling) spirit up to about 84 degrees. I am
            going to combine everything I saved below 84 degrees,
            and see if it will make decent whiskey after it is
            matured.
            Is this logical or am I missing something?

            Ted

            http://auctions.yahoo.com/