adventures in flavoring

  • Matt
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 30, 2001
      Essay the First: 30g lemon peel, 3g ginger, all crushed. Place in flask
      in approx 350ml distilled water and boil over approx 100ml to receiving
      flask. Stirbar kept things moving in boiling flask, and cooling water was
      used in the distillation tube. Large amount of oil collected on receiving
      side. Added some grain alcohol to 40% abv, and then added 10:1 to vodka.
      Smelled lemony, but essentially (no pun intended) awful, overtones of
      sulfur compounds. 20:1, less lemony, still awful. Conclusion: the ginger
      has to go. try again.

      This was my attempt to recreate the lemon/galanga root vodka flavoring by
      Gert Strand. Suffice to say it was a failure. Maybe using actual Galanga
      Root and not its poor cousin would have helped :-) But this is how we
      learn, eh? Scientific glassware is expensive, and a pain to clean up, but
      it is so nice to use, I highly recommend it.

      Next I'll try a "Citron" extract of lemon/lime/orange. Any suggestions on
      ratios?

      -matt

      Matthew @ psibercom