Return liquid distribution over column packing

  • Bennett, Mark E
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 29, 2001
      People
      Over the week end I completed and tested my new design. From the
      testing that I carried out I have noticed a drop in output quality for the
      same column dimensions. Previously I had a vertical condenser mounted on
      top of a 2 metre 100 mm column. This condenser would condenser the vapour
      back into the column and the liquid would return to the column from the
      inside edge of a 35 mm tube. The new design feeds the liquid back into the
      column via a 10mm tube inserted in the side of a 50mm tube above the
      packing. I believe that the output quality drop has been caused from the
      liquid dropping directly into the centre of the packing and then needing to
      distribute out over the packing. I also believe that this heavy flow rate
      into the centre of the scrubbers is tending to create a stream effect and
      this is pulling the liquid straight through the centre of the column and the
      liquid is falling straight into the boiler . The previous design
      distributed the liquid evenly over the packing at the top of the column via
      a piece of packing stuffed into the bottom of the 35 mm condenser tube.
      This distributed the liquid evenly over all of the packing at the top of the
      column at a quite low flow rates ( Many more drop of points into the
      packing ) and thus stoped the stream effect

      My current thoughts on resolving this problem are
      I have considered using a 30 mm disk just below the return line in the top
      of the column but I believe that the liquid would flow to the lowest edge of
      the disk and fall from that point into the packing (No better). I have also
      considered a hollow cone mounted just below the return line. This cone
      would have the lower edge jagged so that it would form multiple drop points
      but I think that this would also fail as the return rate is approximately
      100ml - 200 ml per min and the liquid would tend to wash down the side of
      the cone and fall from the one point. I have also considered the suggestion
      from the Nixon Stone design of flattening the end of the pipe out but
      believe that the liquid would still fall from a single point. Another
      solution that I have been considering is a small multi bladed fan mounted
      below the return pipe in the top of the column. The fan would rotate via
      the steam rising and or the liquid falling onto it. The liquid would then
      fall from the tips of the rotating fan and be distributed evenly over the
      packing. I have not tried this design as it would be very complex to build.

      What I would like to know is what techniques people may have used to evenly
      distribute the returned liquid over the packing. I have

      > Regards,
      > Mark E Bennett

    • Tony & Elle Ackland
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 29, 2001
        How about a disk that fits across the full width, with a pattern of say 5mm holes drilled in it ?
        or some coarse packing (say only 2-3 cm deep) over your regular packing ?

        Tony