Re: [Distillers] Re: Gin botanicals

  • Andrew Forsberg
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 5, 2004
      Lindsay Williams wrote:

      >>I will put on my shroud and head out tomorrow....
      >>

      >Going on your broomstick? Hope you don't come back as a black cat or
      >sumpin'!!
      >I don't know whether Wellington has a witches shop. But then, it's not
      >exactly likely I would know!
      >
      >Cheers, Lindsay.

      You're welcome to any of our black cats... We have far too many animals
      at the moment.

      As far as witch shops go -- the idea might sound silly, but don't mock
      it until you try it. The women take their spells quite seriously, and
      often request ingredients to be harvested at specific times of the year,
      month, week, or night. The orris I got from Dragonspace six months back
      is still aromatic, a fine fresh fragrance. The angelica's all gone now,
      but I pulled up one of my own plants this morning so that's not such a
      big deal.

      Besides, I always feel a bit like a monk measuring and grinding up gin
      botanicals in a mortar and pestle, then throwing them into a pot of alc
      to macerate. It seems fitting that there should be a witch or apothecary
      somewhere higher up the food chain. :-)

      That said, if you find a reliable source of orris and/or angelica
      (seeing as dragonspace is no more), then I'd appreciate a heads up!

      One last thing, for Peet: you might want to be a bit wary of tinctures
      of angelica from harvest wholefoods. The seeds have the greatest
      quantity of essential oil, so are most likely to be used for that sort
      of thing, while the roots have the finest aromatic qualities of the
      plant. Also, tinctures like that don't sound like they're designed to be
      consumed... Again, it's quite easy to grow -- the six month old plant I
      uprooted this morning yielded nearly 300gms of root (not dried), while
      leaving enough root stock to grow another four or five plants easily.

      Orris, on the other hand, might be a bit more work. Not that Iris
      Germanica is an unattractive plant...

      Cheers
      Andrew
    • Lindsay Williams
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 5, 2004
        Hi, Andrew. Have you had success with the home made botanicals? I
        mean, does it smell like 'real' gin? I am an essence man, myself (so far).

        Cheers, Lindsay.

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Forsberg <andrew@u...> wrote:
        > Lindsay Williams wrote:
        >
        > >>I will put on my shroud and head out tomorrow....
        > >>

        > >Going on your broomstick? Hope you don't come back as a black cat or
        > >sumpin'!!
        > >I don't know whether Wellington has a witches shop. But then, it's not
        > >exactly likely I would know!
        > >
        > >Cheers, Lindsay.
        > >

        > You're welcome to any of our black cats... We have far too many animals
        > at the moment.
        >
        > As far as witch shops go -- the idea might sound silly, but don't mock
        > it until you try it. The women take their spells quite seriously, and
        > often request ingredients to be harvested at specific times of the
        year,
        > month, week, or night. The orris I got from Dragonspace six months back
        > is still aromatic, a fine fresh fragrance. The angelica's all gone now,
        > but I pulled up one of my own plants this morning so that's not such a
        > big deal.
        >
        > Besides, I always feel a bit like a monk measuring and grinding up gin
        > botanicals in a mortar and pestle, then throwing them into a pot of alc
        > to macerate. It seems fitting that there should be a witch or
        apothecary
        > somewhere higher up the food chain. :-)
        >
        > That said, if you find a reliable source of orris and/or angelica
        > (seeing as dragonspace is no more), then I'd appreciate a heads up!
        >
        > One last thing, for Peet: you might want to be a bit wary of tinctures
        > of angelica from harvest wholefoods. The seeds have the greatest
        > quantity of essential oil, so are most likely to be used for that sort
        > of thing, while the roots have the finest aromatic qualities of the
        > plant. Also, tinctures like that don't sound like they're designed
        to be
        > consumed... Again, it's quite easy to grow -- the six month old plant I
        > uprooted this morning yielded nearly 300gms of root (not dried), while
        > leaving enough root stock to grow another four or five plants easily.
        >
        > Orris, on the other hand, might be a bit more work. Not that Iris
        > Germanica is an unattractive plant...
        >
        > Cheers
        > Andrew
      • Andrew Forsberg
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 5, 2004
          Hi Lindsay,

          Yes, it does smell and taste like 'real' gin. For some commercial
          recipes take a look at Wal's post:
          http://archive.nnytech.net/sgroup/DISTILLERS/13497/

          As always, the cut is possibly as important as the type and quality of
          ingredients used. e.g.: last weekend I had to rush a batch in order to
          get a bottle ready for some friends at their beach house. Ended up only
          taking the first 1/4 of the run. It was an interestingly flavoured
          spirit, but not gin by any stretch of the imagination.

          If you're going to experiment with botanicals I suggest you use a very
          light hand with star anise, fennel, and cardamom. It's surprisingly easy
          to turn a delicately flavoured gin into ouzo with star anise... :-)

          Cheers
          Andrew

          Lindsay Williams wrote:

          >Hi, Andrew. Have you had success with the home made botanicals? I
          >mean, does it smell like 'real' gin? I am an essence man, myself (so far).
          >
          >Cheers, Lindsay.

        • K&J
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 5, 2004
            A simple gin I make uses 8 juniper berries/teaspoon of coriander and 2 drops
            of Code imports( Country Squire) gin enhancer which you steep in the bottle
            for a week ( needs this time allow the flavour to develop....don't leave any
            longer or the juniper overpower it )then take out the spices..great with ice
            tonic and a slice of lemon...suits me and most of my friends...not to
            floral which some can be but a good dry gin.

            cheers Ken Mc

            Lindsay Williams wrote:

            >Hi, Andrew. Have you had success with the home made botanicals? I
            >mean, does it smell like 'real' gin? I am an essence man, myself (so far).
            >
            >Cheers, Lindsay.

            http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/e8NolB/TM

            .

          • pthoma_nz
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 6, 2004
              wrote:
              the idea might sound silly, but don't mock
              > it until you try it.

              Stranger than fiction...
              An ex. has become ... not a witch ... but interested in such
              things... I have emailed her in the hopes she may know of others in
              her group (coven ?? ;) ) with strange herbs...

              I was given some angelica recently but it has only just started so
              not an option as yet... what is the process once it grows? Do you
              dry it first? grind it up? I pulled it out of the pot and it has
              quite a large root for the amount of leaf...

              I was pleasantly surprised by the shops like harvest... they
              specifically state root, plant or seed... perhaps they are witches
              as well..... maybe witches were the first chemists? anyway...

              I made a quick tincture last night , smells great, i want to finish
              my new still so I can run it through with no reflux. I have been
              using the essences but this smells much better ....

              thanx for ya help
              peet
            • Lindsay Williams
              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 6, 2004
                Errr, I think I will stay an essence man for a while!! Actually, the
                gin essences are damn good now, I find.

                Cheers, Lindsay.

                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Forsberg <andrew@u...> wrote:
                > Hi Lindsay,
                >
                > Yes, it does smell and taste like 'real' gin. For some commercial
                > recipes take a look at Wal's post:
                > http://archive.nnytech.net/sgroup/DISTILLERS/13497/
                >
                > As always, the cut is possibly as important as the type and quality of
                > ingredients used. e.g.: last weekend I had to rush a batch in order to
                > get a bottle ready for some friends at their beach house. Ended up only
                > taking the first 1/4 of the run. It was an interestingly flavoured
                > spirit, but not gin by any stretch of the imagination.
                >
                > If you're going to experiment with botanicals I suggest you use a very
                > light hand with star anise, fennel, and cardamom. It's surprisingly
                easy
                > to turn a delicately flavoured gin into ouzo with star anise... :-)
                >
                > Cheers
                > Andrew
                >

                > Lindsay Williams wrote:
                >
                > >Hi, Andrew. Have you had success with the home made botanicals? I
                > >mean, does it smell like 'real' gin? I am an essence man, myself
                (so far).

                > >Cheers, Lindsay.

              • Lindsay Williams
                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 6, 2004
                  Sounds interesting, Ken. Got it filed.

                  Cheers, Lindsay.

                  --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, K&J <macandjo@p...> wrote:
                  > A simple gin I make uses 8 juniper berries/teaspoon of coriander and
                  2 drops
                  > of Code imports( Country Squire) gin enhancer which you steep in the
                  bottle
                  > for a week ( needs this time allow the flavour to develop....don't
                  leave any
                  > longer or the juniper overpower it )then take out the spices..great
                  with ice
                  > tonic and a slice of lemon...suits me and most of my friends...not to
                  > floral which some can be but a good dry gin.
                  >
                  > cheers Ken Mc

                • Campbell Ritchie
                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 6, 2004
                    --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Forsberg <andrew@u...>
                    wrote:
                    Snipped:
                    > That said, if you find a reliable source of orris and/or angelica
                    > (seeing as dragonspace is no more), then I'd appreciate a heads up!

                    I got everything I needed from www.botanical.com. A lot of herb
                    suppliers in the states will not ship to Australia but they do.
                    Prices are good and postage was quick and cheap. Ordering from them
                    was cheaper( for the things I wanted) than sourcing them from shops
                    in Oz!

                    Cheers
                    Campbell
                  • Lindsay Williams
                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 6, 2004
                      I'm surprised your agriculture inspectors let this stuff in. Doubt
                      whether ours (NZ) would.

                      Cheers, Lindsay.

                      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Campbell Ritchie" <ritchiec@t...>

                      Message 10 of 16 , Mar 15, 2016