Re: Cheap yeast

  • Lindsay Williams
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 4 4:42 AM
      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "DeanThomas" <deanlil@p...> wrote:
      And mean, as well!!

      > Wow peet, you sure are a thursty fella ?
      > LOL : )
      >
      > Dean.

    • DeanThomas
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 4 4:56 AM
        Hi, pete. I hope me last reply didnt sound mean I sure didnt intend it that
        way (I think thats what Lindsay thought). What average percentage are you
        fermenting to ? and how long do you expect it to take, what yeast ETC. are
        you using. I havent run a fermenting wash yet, havent even finished my still
        yet your answers will give me something to compare to when I actually get
        there.

        Thanks.
        Dean.

      • pthoma_nz
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 4 1:25 PM
          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "DeanThomas" <deanlil@p...> wrote:

          > Hi, pete. I hope me last reply didnt sound mean I sure didnt
          intend it that
          > way (I think thats what Lindsay thought).

          No offense taken... Its all good fun... You should see my mountain
          of homemade wine...

          I use code 6 Turbo. I leave all my washes for 2 weeks, this leaves
          them clear. All washes come out at 18-20% abv. I haven't used 1
          yeast for 1 wash in ages now. This way of using a 'starter' rather
          than half the yeast at the start seems to work better. I'll need to
          see if it finishes Ok since there is a chance it may run low on
          nutrient, if so I'll need to add more on the next batches.

          I have tried alcotec 12 hour but didn't like it but want to try
          alcotec 48 (this seems to be the most popular). Anybody tried both?
          what are your thoughts on tastes? I found code 6 had less flavours
          but it has become less of a concern now that I'm getting higher abv
          from my still.

          I shop around for the cheapest sugar I can get, and now I can use
          less yeast I figure I'm saving about $45 each time I start my
          washes.. that makes it worth trying for me...

          peet
        • DeanThomas
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 4 2:19 PM
            Your place sure sounds like a good place for a party. : ) I'm planing on 25
            litre washes and eventually after the initial few practices hope to do one
            run of each of the most popular spirits I.e. whiskey rum southern comfort
            vodka. ETC. I like your approach as I am on a budget/low income/tight. all
            of the above. And the cheaper we can make our little hobby the better.

            So keep all these little discoveries coming I'll give them a go.
            thanks.
            Dean.

            > > Hi, pete. I hope me last reply didnt sound mean I sure didnt
            > intend it that
            > > way (I think thats what Lindsay thought).
            >
            > No offense taken... Its all good fun... You should see my mountain
            > of homemade wine...
            >
            > I use code 6 Turbo. I leave all my washes for 2 weeks, this leaves
            > them clear. All washes come out at 18-20% abv. I haven't used 1
            > yeast for 1 wash in ages now. This way of using a 'starter' rather
            > than half the yeast at the start seems to work better. I'll need to
            > see if it finishes Ok since there is a chance it may run low on
            > nutrient, if so I'll need to add more on the next batches.
            >
            > I have tried alcotec 12 hour but didn't like it but want to try
            > alcotec 48 (this seems to be the most popular). Anybody tried both?
            > what are your thoughts on tastes? I found code 6 had less flavours
            > but it has become less of a concern now that I'm getting higher abv
            > from my still.
            >
            > I shop around for the cheapest sugar I can get, and now I can use
            > less yeast I figure I'm saving about $45 each time I start my
            > washes.. that makes it worth trying for me...
            >
            > peet

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Lindsay Williams
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 4 2:45 PM
              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "DeanThomas" <deanlil@p...> wrote:

              > Hi, pete. I hope me last reply didnt sound mean I sure didnt intend
              it that way (I think thats what Lindsay thought).

              No way, Dean. I was referring to Peet as being tight or mean with his
              money! But, then, that's a kiwi trait!! I should know!

              BTW, Peet, how can I save money on yeast, again???

              Cheers, Lindsay.
            • Lindsay Williams
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 4 3:01 PM
                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "pthoma_nz" <pthoma_nz@y...> wrote:
                > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "DeanThomas" <deanlil@p...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Hi, pete. I hope me last reply didnt sound mean I sure didnt
                > intend it that
                > > way (I think thats what Lindsay thought).
                >
                > No offense taken... Its all good fun...

                Hey, agreed, it sure is fun. Anyway, if an Aussie can't take the
                mickey out of a Kiwi, and vice versa, where would we be?! Hope you
                will be watching your lot go down again in Sydney Sat night, Dean!!

                >You should see my mountain of homemade wine...

                What's it taste like? Seems like you need more thirsty friends!

                > I use code 6 Turbo. I leave all my washes for 2 weeks, this leaves
                > them clear. All washes come out at 18-20% abv. I haven't used 1
                > yeast for 1 wash in ages now. This way of using a 'starter' rather
                > than half the yeast at the start seems to work better. I'll need to
                > see if it finishes Ok since there is a chance it may run low on
                > nutrient, if so I'll need to add more on the next batches.

                Interesting that you don't seem to need more nutrients. When I looked
                at yeast splitting I thought tomato paste (or other nutrient) and
                vitamin B would need adding thus making the cost difference pretty small.

                > I have tried alcotec 12 hour but didn't like it but want to try
                > alcotec 48 (this seems to be the most popular). Anybody tried both?
                > what are your thoughts on tastes? I found code 6 had less flavours
                > but it has become less of a concern now that I'm getting higher abv
                > from my still.

                I have only used Still Spirits yeast. I now use their Turbo Yeast.
                Don't have much of a caomparison but am happy with this stuff.

                > I shop around for the cheapest sugar I can get, and now I can use
                > less yeast I figure I'm saving about $45 each time I start my
                > washes.. that makes it worth trying for me...

                $45 is worth saving, for sure. I buy my sugar from Moshims for $20 for
                a 25kg bag (Thai sugar). Use it in the kitchen, too! I reckon 80c/kg
                is OK.

                Cheers, and thanks for info, Lindsay.
              • pthoma_nz
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 4 3:35 PM
                  The wine kits rock!! I've tried the sauv, chard, and the zinfindel,
                  all produce wines in the middle price bracket ($14-16) for about $5
                  a bottle. Even my partner who is a bit of a wine snob likes em, they
                  need to be left for 3 months though after bottling... hence the
                  small mountain... get Vintners Reserve (about$95), and aim for 25
                  bottles not the 30.I want to try a pricey kit next... mmmmm

                  You do need more nutrient...I use Youngs and Dap. They come in small
                  bottles. The DAP (gotta find a better source) cost $3.50. the Youngs
                  is better value at $7 but you need 1/4 amount. Works out about $1 /
                  25 litre wash. 1 tsp each for every 25 litre wash seems fine.

                  Bin Inn do 25 kg bags for $19.90

                  peet
                • DeanThomas
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 5 12:51 AM
                    Na, I'll be getting tanked with the father inlaw (his B'day) We'll see who
                    goes down though I dont think it will be the aussies. I hope its not the
                    aussies.