Re: Cheap yeast

  • DeanThomas
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 3, 2004
      Wow peet, you sure are a thursty fella ?
      LOL : )

      Dean.

      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 4, 2004
        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "DeanThomas" <deanlil@p...> wrote:
        And mean, as well!!

        > Wow peet, you sure are a thursty fella ?
        > LOL : )
        >
        > Dean.

      • DeanThomas
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 4, 2004
          Hi, pete. I hope me last reply didnt sound mean I sure didnt intend it that
          way (I think thats what Lindsay thought). What average percentage are you
          fermenting to ? and how long do you expect it to take, what yeast ETC. are
          you using. I havent run a fermenting wash yet, havent even finished my still
          yet your answers will give me something to compare to when I actually get
          there.

          Thanks.
          Dean.

        • pthoma_nz
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 4, 2004
            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "DeanThomas" <deanlil@p...> wrote:

            > Hi, pete. I hope me last reply didnt sound mean I sure didnt
            intend it that
            > way (I think thats what Lindsay thought).

            No offense taken... Its all good fun... You should see my mountain
            of homemade wine...

            I use code 6 Turbo. I leave all my washes for 2 weeks, this leaves
            them clear. All washes come out at 18-20% abv. I haven't used 1
            yeast for 1 wash in ages now. This way of using a 'starter' rather
            than half the yeast at the start seems to work better. I'll need to
            see if it finishes Ok since there is a chance it may run low on
            nutrient, if so I'll need to add more on the next batches.

            I have tried alcotec 12 hour but didn't like it but want to try
            alcotec 48 (this seems to be the most popular). Anybody tried both?
            what are your thoughts on tastes? I found code 6 had less flavours
            but it has become less of a concern now that I'm getting higher abv
            from my still.

            I shop around for the cheapest sugar I can get, and now I can use
            less yeast I figure I'm saving about $45 each time I start my
            washes.. that makes it worth trying for me...

            peet
          • DeanThomas
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 4, 2004
              Your place sure sounds like a good place for a party. : ) I'm planing on 25
              litre washes and eventually after the initial few practices hope to do one
              run of each of the most popular spirits I.e. whiskey rum southern comfort
              vodka. ETC. I like your approach as I am on a budget/low income/tight. all
              of the above. And the cheaper we can make our little hobby the better.

              So keep all these little discoveries coming I'll give them a go.
              thanks.
              Dean.

              > > Hi, pete. I hope me last reply didnt sound mean I sure didnt
              > intend it that
              > > way (I think thats what Lindsay thought).
              >
              > No offense taken... Its all good fun... You should see my mountain
              > of homemade wine...
              >
              > I use code 6 Turbo. I leave all my washes for 2 weeks, this leaves
              > them clear. All washes come out at 18-20% abv. I haven't used 1
              > yeast for 1 wash in ages now. This way of using a 'starter' rather
              > than half the yeast at the start seems to work better. I'll need to
              > see if it finishes Ok since there is a chance it may run low on
              > nutrient, if so I'll need to add more on the next batches.
              >
              > I have tried alcotec 12 hour but didn't like it but want to try
              > alcotec 48 (this seems to be the most popular). Anybody tried both?
              > what are your thoughts on tastes? I found code 6 had less flavours
              > but it has become less of a concern now that I'm getting higher abv
              > from my still.
              >
              > I shop around for the cheapest sugar I can get, and now I can use
              > less yeast I figure I'm saving about $45 each time I start my
              > washes.. that makes it worth trying for me...
              >
              > peet

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Lindsay Williams
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 4, 2004
                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "DeanThomas" <deanlil@p...> wrote:

                > Hi, pete. I hope me last reply didnt sound mean I sure didnt intend
                it that way (I think thats what Lindsay thought).

                No way, Dean. I was referring to Peet as being tight or mean with his
                money! But, then, that's a kiwi trait!! I should know!

                BTW, Peet, how can I save money on yeast, again???

                Cheers, Lindsay.
              • Lindsay Williams
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 4, 2004
                  --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "pthoma_nz" <pthoma_nz@y...> wrote:
                  > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "DeanThomas" <deanlil@p...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hi, pete. I hope me last reply didnt sound mean I sure didnt
                  > intend it that
                  > > way (I think thats what Lindsay thought).
                  >
                  > No offense taken... Its all good fun...

                  Hey, agreed, it sure is fun. Anyway, if an Aussie can't take the
                  mickey out of a Kiwi, and vice versa, where would we be?! Hope you
                  will be watching your lot go down again in Sydney Sat night, Dean!!

                  >You should see my mountain of homemade wine...

                  What's it taste like? Seems like you need more thirsty friends!

                  > I use code 6 Turbo. I leave all my washes for 2 weeks, this leaves
                  > them clear. All washes come out at 18-20% abv. I haven't used 1
                  > yeast for 1 wash in ages now. This way of using a 'starter' rather
                  > than half the yeast at the start seems to work better. I'll need to
                  > see if it finishes Ok since there is a chance it may run low on
                  > nutrient, if so I'll need to add more on the next batches.

                  Interesting that you don't seem to need more nutrients. When I looked
                  at yeast splitting I thought tomato paste (or other nutrient) and
                  vitamin B would need adding thus making the cost difference pretty small.

                  > I have tried alcotec 12 hour but didn't like it but want to try
                  > alcotec 48 (this seems to be the most popular). Anybody tried both?
                  > what are your thoughts on tastes? I found code 6 had less flavours
                  > but it has become less of a concern now that I'm getting higher abv
                  > from my still.

                  I have only used Still Spirits yeast. I now use their Turbo Yeast.
                  Don't have much of a caomparison but am happy with this stuff.

                  > I shop around for the cheapest sugar I can get, and now I can use
                  > less yeast I figure I'm saving about $45 each time I start my
                  > washes.. that makes it worth trying for me...

                  $45 is worth saving, for sure. I buy my sugar from Moshims for $20 for
                  a 25kg bag (Thai sugar). Use it in the kitchen, too! I reckon 80c/kg
                  is OK.

                  Cheers, and thanks for info, Lindsay.
                • pthoma_nz
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 4, 2004
                    The wine kits rock!! I've tried the sauv, chard, and the zinfindel,
                    all produce wines in the middle price bracket ($14-16) for about $5
                    a bottle. Even my partner who is a bit of a wine snob likes em, they
                    need to be left for 3 months though after bottling... hence the
                    small mountain... get Vintners Reserve (about$95), and aim for 25
                    bottles not the 30.I want to try a pricey kit next... mmmmm

                    You do need more nutrient...I use Youngs and Dap. They come in small
                    bottles. The DAP (gotta find a better source) cost $3.50. the Youngs
                    is better value at $7 but you need 1/4 amount. Works out about $1 /
                    25 litre wash. 1 tsp each for every 25 litre wash seems fine.

                    Bin Inn do 25 kg bags for $19.90

                    peet
                  • DeanThomas
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 5, 2004
                      Na, I'll be getting tanked with the father inlaw (his B'day) We'll see who
                      goes down though I dont think it will be the aussies. I hope its not the
                      aussies.