Re: 55 gallon of mash

  • Sven Pfitt
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 3, 2004
      I think you are missing the point.

      The traditional beer was often made with open fermenters.

      If you want to keep a fermented wort (beer term for wash) for an
      extended period of time, you simply MUST follow scrutinuous
      sanitization procedures.

      (1) sanitize everything that will touch the wort before you start.
      (2) Boil the wort (or wash) and chill before pitching (CRITICAL to
      kill anything in it). Be sure your wort chiller (if used) is
      sanitixed as well.
      (3) Use air locks to keep nasties out. NO Openfermentation.
      (4) Sanitize everything you use for racking wort after it has
      fermented.
      (5) High gravity wort keeps better.

      After you worry about the above, then you can worry about racking off
      the yeat cake and avoiding off flavors assocaited with prolonged
      yeast exposure.