Re: 55 gallon of mash
- I think you are missing the point.
The traditional beer was often made with open fermenters.
If you want to keep a fermented wort (beer term for wash) for an
extended period of time, you simply MUST follow scrutinuous
(1) sanitize everything that will touch the wort before you start.
(2) Boil the wort (or wash) and chill before pitching (CRITICAL to
kill anything in it). Be sure your wort chiller (if used) is
sanitixed as well.
(3) Use air locks to keep nasties out. NO Openfermentation.
(4) Sanitize everything you use for racking wort after it has
(5) High gravity wort keeps better.
After you worry about the above, then you can worry about racking off
the yeat cake and avoiding off flavors assocaited with prolonged