Peaty Taste

  • S B
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 3, 2004
      G'day all,

      For those of us who like a strong peat flavour (think
      Islay - Laphroaig, Ardbeg etc) what is the best method
      of getting the taste into your whisky? That is to say
      somthing a bit easier than drying your malted barley
      with a peat fire.
      If I steep some peat in alcohol and then re-distil at
      a low percentage would this bring the flavour through
      well?

      Thanks for your replies.

      http://au.movies.yahoo.com
    • Héctor A. Landaeta C.
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 11, 2004
        On 8/3/04 6:32 PM, "S B" <smbawhisky@...> wrote:

        > G'day all,
        >
        > For those of us who like a strong peat flavour (think
        > Islay - Laphroaig, Ardbeg etc) what is the best method
        > of getting the taste into your whisky? That is to say
        > somthing a bit easier than drying your malted barley
        > with a peat fire.
        > If I steep some peat in alcohol and then re-distil at
        > a low percentage would this bring the flavour through
        > well?
        >
        > Thanks for your replies.

        Hola SB!
        Tony Ackland even made a very good recipe on what you are looking for. I
        tried it and it works. Search the archives for details. What do Islay
        Scots call peat is not your regular run-of the-shelf kind, it¹s a kind of
        lichen that grows in the swampy lands over there that they harvest by
        cutting it out in squares and then drying them out. It¹s their primary
        source of burning fuel because there is very little timber there. I got
        some similar material from a nearby high jungle, mostly small branches and
        dried out ferns, but with a very strong damp, mossy smell from being exposed
        to a lot of humidity. This you smoke out over a BBQ grill with a small coal
        fire to the point that it almost burns, then place it in some 60% ABV
        alcohol (I used malt poitin) for a couple of months and you get a very
        strongly peaty flavored extract to round-up your Islay clone.
        Hope it helped.
        Salud!
        --
        Hector Landaeta