Re: first batch o' scotch

    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 2, 2004
      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Maxime Belair
      <maxime_belair@y...> wrote:
      > Hi again,
      >
      > I forgot to talk about these "neutral
      > grain alcohol" they use for the blend. If this
      > "neutral grain alcohol" is made from barley, it means
      > that there is some spent flavour? This because they
      > don't take the tails, they only take the clean middle
      > run.
      >
      > Right?
      >
      > Maxime Belair
      >
      > ---------------------------------
      > Hi,
      >
      > I'm very surprised that blended scotch is
      > diluted with neutral spirit. Making scotch at home
      > might be twice less expensive than I though if a ratio
      > of 70neutral/30whisky gives enough flavour.
      >
      > But when you buy a bottle of single malt, is it
      > diluted with some neutral alcohol?

      all the whisky was distilled at the same distillery, and is not
      combined with grain whisky.

      > Is it the same for bourbon, irish whisky, rhum,
      > cognac, brandy...?

      > Thank you,
      >
      > Maxime Belair

      Max, you need a crash course in Scotch. :-)

      http://0url.com/www.whiskyweb.com-R

      http://www.wordiq.com/definition/Scotch_whisky

      HTH
    • yttrium_nitrate
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 2, 2004
        It seems like it would be expensive to break apart a barrel and then
        reassemble it. Something that would not appeal to scotish
        sensibilities. I agree that the oak can have a tremendous inpact on
        the flavor, but American/European oak is not the only variabile when
        it comes to oak. The age of the tree, the location of the tree, and
        the part of the tree that is used to make the barrel all have an
        impact on the final taste. The time of year that tree was cut down may
        even change the flavor.