Re: first batch o' scotch

    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 2, 2004
      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "yttrium_nitrate" <incatare@h...>
      wrote:
      > A lot of scotch whisky is aged in barrels that have been used to
      age
      > sherry. If you add a wee bit of sherry to the whisky, it can
      simulate
      > part of aging in used barrel.

      There's no doubt that a wee 'splash' of sherry in your home-made
      poteen will give it a lift. However there's some debate about
      whether sherry barrels (specifically Oloroso sherry) from Spain
      actually do anything for the profile.

      Some sources say that the barrels are imported into
      Scotland 'complete' with a half litre of sherry still in the cask.
      Other sources say the barrels are broken down into staves for
      transportation, and re-cut and reassembled by the coopers when they
      take delivery.

      As to the 'sherried' finish that scotch whisky afficionados speak
      of, this post on Riannon's Celtic Malts forum is interesting...

      <quote>
      American oak and European oak have a significantly different impact
      on maturing whiskies.

      Much of what is commonly called a 'sherry' flavour actually derives
      not from a cask's former content, but from the European oak effect.
      I have tasted samples from European oak casks that had previously
      held no sherry or other fortified wines, yet the whisky had very
      obvious 'sherried' characteristics.
      </quote>
      (Source:
      http://www.celticmalts.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=25
      the last post on that page.

      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 2, 2004
        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Maxime Belair
        <maxime_belair@y...> wrote:
        > Hi again,
        >
        > I forgot to talk about these "neutral
        > grain alcohol" they use for the blend. If this
        > "neutral grain alcohol" is made from barley, it means
        > that there is some spent flavour? This because they
        > don't take the tails, they only take the clean middle
        > run.
        >
        > Right?
        >
        > Maxime Belair
        >
        > ---------------------------------
        > Hi,
        >
        > I'm very surprised that blended scotch is
        > diluted with neutral spirit. Making scotch at home
        > might be twice less expensive than I though if a ratio
        > of 70neutral/30whisky gives enough flavour.
        >
        > But when you buy a bottle of single malt, is it
        > diluted with some neutral alcohol?

        all the whisky was distilled at the same distillery, and is not
        combined with grain whisky.

        > Is it the same for bourbon, irish whisky, rhum,
        > cognac, brandy...?

        > Thank you,
        >
        > Maxime Belair

        Max, you need a crash course in Scotch. :-)

        http://0url.com/www.whiskyweb.com-R

        http://www.wordiq.com/definition/Scotch_whisky

        HTH
      • yttrium_nitrate
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 2, 2004
          It seems like it would be expensive to break apart a barrel and then
          reassemble it. Something that would not appeal to scotish
          sensibilities. I agree that the oak can have a tremendous inpact on
          the flavor, but American/European oak is not the only variabile when
          it comes to oak. The age of the tree, the location of the tree, and
          the part of the tree that is used to make the barrel all have an
          impact on the final taste. The time of year that tree was cut down may
          even change the flavor.