Re: [Distillers] Re: first batch o' scotch

  • Zarklan Zhaphedoix
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 2 9:32 AM
      I went to the Scotch Heritage Museum in Edinburgh
      Scotland and saw that the blended scotch was blended
      from Pot Still Products and Coffee Still products.

      The tourguide, an American, gave the impression that
      the blended scotch was essentially good scotch cut
      with industrial type alcohol.

      http://mail.yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 2 1:08 PM
        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "yttrium_nitrate" <incatare@h...>
        wrote:
        > A lot of scotch whisky is aged in barrels that have been used to
        age
        > sherry. If you add a wee bit of sherry to the whisky, it can
        simulate
        > part of aging in used barrel.

        There's no doubt that a wee 'splash' of sherry in your home-made
        poteen will give it a lift. However there's some debate about
        whether sherry barrels (specifically Oloroso sherry) from Spain
        actually do anything for the profile.

        Some sources say that the barrels are imported into
        Scotland 'complete' with a half litre of sherry still in the cask.
        Other sources say the barrels are broken down into staves for
        transportation, and re-cut and reassembled by the coopers when they
        take delivery.

        As to the 'sherried' finish that scotch whisky afficionados speak
        of, this post on Riannon's Celtic Malts forum is interesting...

        <quote>
        American oak and European oak have a significantly different impact
        on maturing whiskies.

        Much of what is commonly called a 'sherry' flavour actually derives
        not from a cask's former content, but from the European oak effect.
        I have tasted samples from European oak casks that had previously
        held no sherry or other fortified wines, yet the whisky had very
        obvious 'sherried' characteristics.
        </quote>
        (Source:
        http://www.celticmalts.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=25
        the last post on that page.

        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 2 2:28 PM
          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Maxime Belair
          <maxime_belair@y...> wrote:
          > Hi again,
          >
          > I forgot to talk about these "neutral
          > grain alcohol" they use for the blend. If this
          > "neutral grain alcohol" is made from barley, it means
          > that there is some spent flavour? This because they
          > don't take the tails, they only take the clean middle
          > run.
          >
          > Right?
          >
          > Maxime Belair
          >
          > ---------------------------------
          > Hi,
          >
          > I'm very surprised that blended scotch is
          > diluted with neutral spirit. Making scotch at home
          > might be twice less expensive than I though if a ratio
          > of 70neutral/30whisky gives enough flavour.
          >
          > But when you buy a bottle of single malt, is it
          > diluted with some neutral alcohol?

          all the whisky was distilled at the same distillery, and is not
          combined with grain whisky.

          > Is it the same for bourbon, irish whisky, rhum,
          > cognac, brandy...?

          > Thank you,
          >
          > Maxime Belair

          Max, you need a crash course in Scotch. :-)

          http://0url.com/www.whiskyweb.com-R

          http://www.wordiq.com/definition/Scotch_whisky

          HTH
        • yttrium_nitrate
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 2 6:24 PM
            It seems like it would be expensive to break apart a barrel and then
            reassemble it. Something that would not appeal to scotish
            sensibilities. I agree that the oak can have a tremendous inpact on
            the flavor, but American/European oak is not the only variabile when
            it comes to oak. The age of the tree, the location of the tree, and
            the part of the tree that is used to make the barrel all have an
            impact on the final taste. The time of year that tree was cut down may
            even change the flavor.