RE: [Distillers] Re: Copper mesh supplier...Mike

  • hjsargent518@netscape.net
    Message 1 of 22 , Aug 1, 2004
      Not having any other reference, I improvised a procedure pretty much identical to what Mike suggests in his posting. After installing the mesh, the still runs absolutely great.

      "mwmccaw" <mwmccaw@...> wrote:

      >Grayson,
      >The problem is that knitted mesh is somewhat variable in density
      >(due to tension settings of the knitting machinery), and everyone
      >has a different idea of what "reasonable" tension for winding rolls
      >is.
      >One of the reasons for picking the mesh we did was that you cannot
      >wind it so tight that you create high resistance to vapor flow.
      >We started out measuring by length, but found that that did not work
      >well. Weight is the consistent measure for quantity and surface
      >area. What we suggest is simply placing your column (or a bit of
      >tubing of the same size, and rolling up from the long piece of mesh
      >until your roll slides into the column and holds itself in place
      >gently by friction.
      >
      >Mike
      >

      >> I would like to suggest that a chart be placed on the Amphora
      >> site listing suggested lengths which the mesh would need to be cut
      >> and then rolled to properly fit some of the more popular column
      >> diamtrs. We've seen several posts asking what length or what
      >> density to roll the mesh for a column. I'd be interested in the
      >> density that you found best. Like I mentioned above, I used 48
      >inch
      >> lengths of the new mesh but I would think that would be far too
      >much
      >> of the Amphora mesh to roll into a 2 inch diamter.

      Switch to Netscape Internet Service.

      Netscape. Just the Net You Need.

    • Grayson Stewart
      Message 2 of 22 , Aug 3, 2004
        > Not having any other reference, I improvised a procedure pretty
        much identical to what Mike suggests in his posting. After
        installing the mesh, the still runs absolutely great.

        Yep, I did something similiar to what Mike suggested and you did
        when I ordered my mesh. I sent an email to Amphora asking for a
        suggested amount of mesh giving them a diameter and length of column
        to go by. I received a reply of an amount to purchase and bought
        that from them. After measuring the width of the mesh I
        received ....then dividing my column length by the width....I got a
        length to cut the mesh. I just thought that Amphora posting a
        length for each segment for individual column diamters might help
        everyone know how much to order (given that everyone follows
        the "roll until friction holds" directions ).