Re: Copper mesh supplier...Mike

  • mwmccaw
    Message 1 of 22 , Aug 1, 2004
      Grayson,
      The problem is that knitted mesh is somewhat variable in density
      (due to tension settings of the knitting machinery), and everyone
      has a different idea of what "reasonable" tension for winding rolls
      is.
      One of the reasons for picking the mesh we did was that you cannot
      wind it so tight that you create high resistance to vapor flow.
      We started out measuring by length, but found that that did not work
      well. Weight is the consistent measure for quantity and surface
      area. What we suggest is simply placing your column (or a bit of
      tubing of the same size, and rolling up from the long piece of mesh
      until your roll slides into the column and holds itself in place
      gently by friction.

      Mike

    • hjsargent518@netscape.net
      Message 2 of 22 , Aug 1, 2004
        Not having any other reference, I improvised a procedure pretty much identical to what Mike suggests in his posting. After installing the mesh, the still runs absolutely great.

        "mwmccaw" <mwmccaw@...> wrote:

        >Grayson,
        >The problem is that knitted mesh is somewhat variable in density
        >(due to tension settings of the knitting machinery), and everyone
        >has a different idea of what "reasonable" tension for winding rolls
        >is.
        >One of the reasons for picking the mesh we did was that you cannot
        >wind it so tight that you create high resistance to vapor flow.
        >We started out measuring by length, but found that that did not work
        >well. Weight is the consistent measure for quantity and surface
        >area. What we suggest is simply placing your column (or a bit of
        >tubing of the same size, and rolling up from the long piece of mesh
        >until your roll slides into the column and holds itself in place
        >gently by friction.
        >
        >Mike
        >

        >> I would like to suggest that a chart be placed on the Amphora
        >> site listing suggested lengths which the mesh would need to be cut
        >> and then rolled to properly fit some of the more popular column
        >> diamtrs. We've seen several posts asking what length or what
        >> density to roll the mesh for a column. I'd be interested in the
        >> density that you found best. Like I mentioned above, I used 48
        >inch
        >> lengths of the new mesh but I would think that would be far too
        >much
        >> of the Amphora mesh to roll into a 2 inch diamter.

        Switch to Netscape Internet Service.

        Netscape. Just the Net You Need.

      • Grayson Stewart
        Message 3 of 22 , Aug 3, 2004
          > Not having any other reference, I improvised a procedure pretty
          much identical to what Mike suggests in his posting. After
          installing the mesh, the still runs absolutely great.

          Yep, I did something similiar to what Mike suggested and you did
          when I ordered my mesh. I sent an email to Amphora asking for a
          suggested amount of mesh giving them a diameter and length of column
          to go by. I received a reply of an amount to purchase and bought
          that from them. After measuring the width of the mesh I
          received ....then dividing my column length by the width....I got a
          length to cut the mesh. I just thought that Amphora posting a
          length for each segment for individual column diamters might help
          everyone know how much to order (given that everyone follows
          the "roll until friction holds" directions ).