RE: [Distillers] Re: Copper mesh supplier...Mike

  • Levi Langershank
    Message 1 of 22 , Aug 1, 2004
      Get yourself a couple of cheap surveilance cameras,such as the X-10s and a
      good remote thermometer (Nu-Temp makes a good one)...I can sit in my
      recliner and watch everything thats going on in my shop,where I do my
      'cooking'...:>)

      I may have been able to
      >run it faster but I left the reflux where I usually do (slow
      >takeoff) because I didn't want to constantly get up and check it
      >today...just had surgery on Friday :-)

    • mwmccaw
      Message 2 of 22 , Aug 1, 2004
        Grayson,
        The problem is that knitted mesh is somewhat variable in density
        (due to tension settings of the knitting machinery), and everyone
        has a different idea of what "reasonable" tension for winding rolls
        is.
        One of the reasons for picking the mesh we did was that you cannot
        wind it so tight that you create high resistance to vapor flow.
        We started out measuring by length, but found that that did not work
        well. Weight is the consistent measure for quantity and surface
        area. What we suggest is simply placing your column (or a bit of
        tubing of the same size, and rolling up from the long piece of mesh
        until your roll slides into the column and holds itself in place
        gently by friction.

        Mike

      • hjsargent518@netscape.net
        Message 3 of 22 , Aug 1, 2004
          Not having any other reference, I improvised a procedure pretty much identical to what Mike suggests in his posting. After installing the mesh, the still runs absolutely great.

          "mwmccaw" <mwmccaw@...> wrote:

          >Grayson,
          >The problem is that knitted mesh is somewhat variable in density
          >(due to tension settings of the knitting machinery), and everyone
          >has a different idea of what "reasonable" tension for winding rolls
          >is.
          >One of the reasons for picking the mesh we did was that you cannot
          >wind it so tight that you create high resistance to vapor flow.
          >We started out measuring by length, but found that that did not work
          >well. Weight is the consistent measure for quantity and surface
          >area. What we suggest is simply placing your column (or a bit of
          >tubing of the same size, and rolling up from the long piece of mesh
          >until your roll slides into the column and holds itself in place
          >gently by friction.
          >
          >Mike
          >

          >> I would like to suggest that a chart be placed on the Amphora
          >> site listing suggested lengths which the mesh would need to be cut
          >> and then rolled to properly fit some of the more popular column
          >> diamtrs. We've seen several posts asking what length or what
          >> density to roll the mesh for a column. I'd be interested in the
          >> density that you found best. Like I mentioned above, I used 48
          >inch
          >> lengths of the new mesh but I would think that would be far too
          >much
          >> of the Amphora mesh to roll into a 2 inch diamter.

          Switch to Netscape Internet Service.

          Netscape. Just the Net You Need.

        • Grayson Stewart
          Message 4 of 22 , Aug 3, 2004
            > Not having any other reference, I improvised a procedure pretty
            much identical to what Mike suggests in his posting. After
            installing the mesh, the still runs absolutely great.

            Yep, I did something similiar to what Mike suggested and you did
            when I ordered my mesh. I sent an email to Amphora asking for a
            suggested amount of mesh giving them a diameter and length of column
            to go by. I received a reply of an amount to purchase and bought
            that from them. After measuring the width of the mesh I
            received ....then dividing my column length by the width....I got a
            length to cut the mesh. I just thought that Amphora posting a
            length for each segment for individual column diamters might help
            everyone know how much to order (given that everyone follows
            the "roll until friction holds" directions ).