Re: Copper mesh supplier...Mike

  • Grayson Stewart
    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 31 8:40 PM
      First and only run of an 18% sugar batch using 1000 W power on 2"
      diameter column with 43 inches of mesh packing. Yes, 0.7
      ounces/minute is about 1.2 litres /hour. I may have been able to
      run it faster but I left the reflux where I usually do (slow
      takeoff) because I didn't want to constantly get up and check it
      today...just had surgery on Friday :-)

      > How much power did you use?
      > was this from stripped mash?
      > 2" diameter?
      >
      > 0.7 ounces per minute is about 1.2 litres per hour?
      >
      > //Johan
    • Levi Langershank
      Message 2 of 22 , Aug 1, 2004
        Get yourself a couple of cheap surveilance cameras,such as the X-10s and a
        good remote thermometer (Nu-Temp makes a good one)...I can sit in my
        recliner and watch everything thats going on in my shop,where I do my
        'cooking'...:>)

        I may have been able to
        >run it faster but I left the reflux where I usually do (slow
        >takeoff) because I didn't want to constantly get up and check it
        >today...just had surgery on Friday :-)

      • mwmccaw
        Message 3 of 22 , Aug 1, 2004
          Grayson,
          The problem is that knitted mesh is somewhat variable in density
          (due to tension settings of the knitting machinery), and everyone
          has a different idea of what "reasonable" tension for winding rolls
          is.
          One of the reasons for picking the mesh we did was that you cannot
          wind it so tight that you create high resistance to vapor flow.
          We started out measuring by length, but found that that did not work
          well. Weight is the consistent measure for quantity and surface
          area. What we suggest is simply placing your column (or a bit of
          tubing of the same size, and rolling up from the long piece of mesh
          until your roll slides into the column and holds itself in place
          gently by friction.

          Mike

        • hjsargent518@netscape.net
          Message 4 of 22 , Aug 1, 2004
            Not having any other reference, I improvised a procedure pretty much identical to what Mike suggests in his posting. After installing the mesh, the still runs absolutely great.

            "mwmccaw" <mwmccaw@...> wrote:

            >Grayson,
            >The problem is that knitted mesh is somewhat variable in density
            >(due to tension settings of the knitting machinery), and everyone
            >has a different idea of what "reasonable" tension for winding rolls
            >is.
            >One of the reasons for picking the mesh we did was that you cannot
            >wind it so tight that you create high resistance to vapor flow.
            >We started out measuring by length, but found that that did not work
            >well. Weight is the consistent measure for quantity and surface
            >area. What we suggest is simply placing your column (or a bit of
            >tubing of the same size, and rolling up from the long piece of mesh
            >until your roll slides into the column and holds itself in place
            >gently by friction.
            >
            >Mike
            >

            >> I would like to suggest that a chart be placed on the Amphora
            >> site listing suggested lengths which the mesh would need to be cut
            >> and then rolled to properly fit some of the more popular column
            >> diamtrs. We've seen several posts asking what length or what
            >> density to roll the mesh for a column. I'd be interested in the
            >> density that you found best. Like I mentioned above, I used 48
            >inch
            >> lengths of the new mesh but I would think that would be far too
            >much
            >> of the Amphora mesh to roll into a 2 inch diamter.

            Switch to Netscape Internet Service.

            Netscape. Just the Net You Need.

          • Grayson Stewart
            Message 5 of 22 , Aug 3, 2004
              > Not having any other reference, I improvised a procedure pretty
              much identical to what Mike suggests in his posting. After
              installing the mesh, the still runs absolutely great.

              Yep, I did something similiar to what Mike suggested and you did
              when I ordered my mesh. I sent an email to Amphora asking for a
              suggested amount of mesh giving them a diameter and length of column
              to go by. I received a reply of an amount to purchase and bought
              that from them. After measuring the width of the mesh I
              received ....then dividing my column length by the width....I got a
              length to cut the mesh. I just thought that Amphora posting a
              length for each segment for individual column diamters might help
              everyone know how much to order (given that everyone follows
              the "roll until friction holds" directions ).