Re: Reflux condenser Practice run

  • switchman34
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 30, 2004
      Dean,

      My set up is pretty similar so you shouldn't have too many problems,
      just shove some leftover amphora mesh down the centre, and watch it
      over several runs. Your cooling water temp will give you a good idea
      of how effciently its working, if it gets way hot, then you may start
      to get some bypass as the effeciency of the condensor drops

      I use a 2400w element and very rarely have an issue, only if I'm
      trying to keep the cooling water flow to slow.

      hope that helps

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "DeanThomas" <deanlil@p...> wrote:
      > Hi, guys just did a practice attempt at forming up a reflux
      condenser the salt idea really works. I formed it around a piece of 1
      3/8" copper pipe it flattened a little on the loop at the bottom but
      all in all it would still be usable. My questions

      > 1.My practice condenser has 18 turns instead of the 20 -30 turns
      mostly recommended, does any one think that 18 would not be enough
      for say at the most a 2400w heater Probably a 2000w If I can find
      one. (don't want to waste copper might need it for future creations).

      > 2. Formed around 1 3/8 it has 1/4" clearance inside the 2 1/2"
      column is that to much.

      > 3. I was also thinking of soldering a piece of 7/8" up the centre
      onto the bottom loop Kind of like a cold finger inside the reflux
      condenser this gives 1/4" clearance between the coil and the finger.
      Got that of Tony's site. Is this a good move for efficiency.

      > Thanks
      >
      > Dean.

    • DeanThomas
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 30, 2004
        Thanks switchman

        Ill give it a go With the 7/8" up the centre of the reflux condenser kind of
        like a cold finger (hopefully increasing the efficiency) it doesn't leave
        alot of room for packing but I'll do one or two water runs first to see if
        it will cope, wouldn't want to waste any would I.

        Thanks it helps knowing someone else has had success with this size
        condenser.