Still with stripper

  • random9988
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 29, 2004
      I uploaded a sketch at
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Distillers/files/Johan/Still_with_strip
      per/

      This is just an example how to build it. I didn't actually build
      mine as this because I have the connector to the column on the side
      of the boiler and made two connections on the boiler instead, one
      for each column, anyway you get the idea.

      To connect the two columns is actually rather ease. You need a T
      connector 2" or whatever size you prefer, personally I like 35 mm
      since the price is much lower and the capacity is more than enough.

      The reducer used in the T connector is a T reducer, this kind of
      reducer have the same diameter as a pipe and fit inside the T
      connector. (btw I recommend you use those reducers if you want to
      build a SR head)

      To regulate power to column 2 you adjust the valve. How much you
      should open it is based on trial and error. The power needed for
      column 2 isn't much at all, I estimate it to be around 200W, check
      if the top gets hot, if it does you're about right.

      Insulate!

      There is an alternative way to build it as well, instead of having
      two condensers you can let the vapour from c2 come back to c1 and
      remove heads a litte bit further up on that column. So column 1 has
      an ethanol/heads outlet and let's say 30 cm above that a heads
      outlet.

      //Johan
    • Lindsay Williams
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 29, 2004
        Thanks very much for taking the trouble to do this, Johan. Very
        impressive. I will study it later!

        Cheers, Lindsay.

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "random9988" <mugg@h...> wrote:
        > I uploaded a sketch at
        > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Distillers/files/Johan/Still_with_strip
        > per/

        <snip>

        > //Johan
      • DeanThomas
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 29, 2004
          I agree Johan, You really are an ideas man, the still I am building is
          designed to have different head attachments and if I ever get it finished I
          think your little master piece will be the first modification. after testing
          the original set ups of coarse.
          Nice work.

          Dean

          > Thanks very much for taking the trouble to do this, Johan. Very
          > impressive. I will study it later!
          >
          > Cheers, Lindsay.
          >
          > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "random9988" <mugg@h...> wrote:
          > > I uploaded a sketch at
          > > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Distillers/files/Johan/Still_with_strip
          > > per/
          > >
          > <snip>
          > >
          > > //Johan

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • shinershane
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 30, 2004
            Anyone else have a problem getting this link to work? Thanks

            SS

            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "random9988" <mugg@h...> wrote:
            > I uploaded a sketch at

            > per/
            >
            > This is just an example how to build it. I didn't actually build
            > mine as this because I have the connector to the column on the side
            > of the boiler and made two connections on the boiler instead, one
            > for each column, anyway you get the idea.
            >
            > To connect the two columns is actually rather ease. You need a T
            > connector 2" or whatever size you prefer, personally I like 35 mm
            > since the price is much lower and the capacity is more than enough.
            >
            > The reducer used in the T connector is a T reducer, this kind of
            > reducer have the same diameter as a pipe and fit inside the T
            > connector. (btw I recommend you use those reducers if you want to
            > build a SR head)
            >
            > To regulate power to column 2 you adjust the valve. How much you
            > should open it is based on trial and error. The power needed for
            > column 2 isn't much at all, I estimate it to be around 200W, check
            > if the top gets hot, if it does you're about right.
            >
            > Insulate!
            >
            > There is an alternative way to build it as well, instead of having
            > two condensers you can let the vapour from c2 come back to c1 and
            > remove heads a litte bit further up on that column. So column 1 has
            > an ethanol/heads outlet and let's say 30 cm above that a heads
            > outlet.
            >
            > //Johan
          • animalpet2003
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 30, 2004
              click on the link and add "per/" at the end in the address bar
              (without the quotes). Just that the link is incomplete in the
              address, it doesn't read the whole thing.

              Eric

              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "shinershane" <shinershane@y...>
              wrote:
              > Anyone else have a problem getting this link to work? Thanks
              >
              > SS
              >

              > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "random9988" <mugg@h...> wrote:
              > > I uploaded a sketch at

              > > per/

            • Rana Pipiens
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 30, 2004
                Yeah Shiner. I can't get it either. Rana

                shinershane <shinershane@...> wrote:Anyone else have a problem getting this link to work? Thanks

                SS

                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "random9988" <mugg@h...> wrote:
                > I uploaded a sketch at

                > per/
                >
                > This is just an example how to build it. I didn't actually build
                > mine as this because I have the connector to the column on the side
                > of the boiler and made two connections on the boiler instead, one
                > for each column, anyway you get the idea.
                >
                > To connect the two columns is actually rather ease. You need a T
                > connector 2" or whatever size you prefer, personally I like 35 mm
                > since the price is much lower and the capacity is more than enough.
                >
                > The reducer used in the T connector is a T reducer, this kind of
                > reducer have the same diameter as a pipe and fit inside the T
                > connector. (btw I recommend you use those reducers if you want to
                > build a SR head)
                >
                > To regulate power to column 2 you adjust the valve. How much you
                > should open it is based on trial and error. The power needed for
                > column 2 isn't much at all, I estimate it to be around 200W, check
                > if the top gets hot, if it does you're about right.
                >
                > Insulate!
                >
                > There is an alternative way to build it as well, instead of having
                > two condensers you can let the vapour from c2 come back to c1 and
                > remove heads a litte bit further up on that column. So column 1 has
                > an ethanol/heads outlet and let's say 30 cm above that a heads
                > outlet.
                >
                > //Johan

                Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

              • K&J
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 30, 2004
                  SS,

                  Log onto the yahoo group home site and go to the files section ...I found it
                  under "Johan"

                  Cheers
                  Ken Mc

                  Thanks Rana, perhaps it will be fixed soon as I would like to have a
                  look as well.

                  SS

                  --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Rana Pipiens <ranawater@y...>
                  wrote:
                  > Yeah Shiner. I can't get it either. Rana
                  >
                  > shinershane <shinershane@y...> wrote:Anyone else have a problem
                  getting this link to work? Thanks

                  > SS
                  >

                  > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "random9988" <mugg@h...> wrote:
                  > > I uploaded a sketch at

                  > > per/
                  > >
                  > > This is just an example how to build it. I didn't actually build
                  > > mine as this because I have the connector to the column on the
                  side
                  > > of the boiler and made two connections on the boiler instead, one
                  > > for each column, anyway you get the idea.
                  > >
                  > > To connect the two columns is actually rather ease. You need a T
                  > > connector 2" or whatever size you prefer, personally I like 35 mm
                  > > since the price is much lower and the capacity is more than
                  enough.

                  > > The reducer used in the T connector is a T reducer, this kind of
                  > > reducer have the same diameter as a pipe and fit inside the T
                  > > connector. (btw I recommend you use those reducers if you want to
                  > > build a SR head)
                  > >
                  > > To regulate power to column 2 you adjust the valve. How much you
                  > > should open it is based on trial and error. The power needed for
                  > > column 2 isn't much at all, I estimate it to be around 200W,
                  check
                  > > if the top gets hot, if it does you're about right.
                  > >
                  > > Insulate!
                  > >
                  > > There is an alternative way to build it as well, instead of
                  having
                  > > two condensers you can let the vapour from c2 come back to c1 and
                  > > remove heads a litte bit further up on that column. So column 1
                  has
                  > > an ethanol/heads outlet and let's say 30 cm above that a heads
                  > > outlet.
                  > >
                  > > //Johan

                  > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                  Service.

                  http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/e8NolB/TM

                • abbababbaccc
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 31, 2004
                    Nice work Johan! I finally had some time to go through the skecth
                    and here's few questions:

                    How much power are you using? I understand that the 200W figure
                    depends on how much distillate you feed to the second column (ie.
                    power of the boiler comes to play via RR)?

                    From your drawing I assume that the control pipe of the first column
                    is sealed at the bottom and open at the top? Does it need to be open
                    at the top?

                    The second column is actually pretty straightforward, but I'd like
                    to know a bit more about the operation. First of all how much heads
                    do you get from one run? Do you need to remove them at all or could
                    you just let them buzz at the top of the column? Isn't there a
                    danger of overfilling column 2 if you withdraw the product slower
                    than you feed the second column (I guess this is one reason why you
                    need the buffer)? You mentioned that the second column couldn't cope
                    with high concentration of heads without the buffer, what exactly
                    happened? Did you get heads out from the product pipe? Did you try
                    to equilibrate the second column?

                    Could you actually give a short description how you run this thing
                    and what adjustments are required? I suppose once you get it
                    adjusted it runs by itself?

                    I guess I'll just have to build one sooner or later, I just want to
                    understand this more thoroughly before I start tearing down my
                    current rigs for spare parts :)

                    Greetz, Riku

                    --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "random9988" <mugg@h...> wrote:
                    > I uploaded a sketch at

                    > per/
                    >
                    > This is just an example how to build it. I didn't actually build
                    > mine as this because I have the connector to the column on the
                    side
                    > of the boiler and made two connections on the boiler instead, one
                    > for each column, anyway you get the idea.
                    >
                    > To connect the two columns is actually rather ease. You need a T
                    > connector 2" or whatever size you prefer, personally I like 35 mm
                    > since the price is much lower and the capacity is more than enough.
                    >
                    > The reducer used in the T connector is a T reducer, this kind of
                    > reducer have the same diameter as a pipe and fit inside the T
                    > connector. (btw I recommend you use those reducers if you want to
                    > build a SR head)
                    >
                    > To regulate power to column 2 you adjust the valve. How much you
                    > should open it is based on trial and error. The power needed for
                    > column 2 isn't much at all, I estimate it to be around 200W, check
                    > if the top gets hot, if it does you're about right.
                    >
                    > Insulate!
                    >
                    > There is an alternative way to build it as well, instead of having
                    > two condensers you can let the vapour from c2 come back to c1 and
                    > remove heads a litte bit further up on that column. So column 1
                    has
                    > an ethanol/heads outlet and let's say 30 cm above that a heads
                    > outlet.
                    >
                    > //Johan
                  • random9988
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 31, 2004
                      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "abbababbaccc"
                      <abbababbaccc@y...> wrote:
                      > Nice work Johan! I finally had some time to go through the sketch
                      > and here's few questions:

                      Thank you everyone for the encouraging replies :)

                      > How much power are you using? I understand that the 200W figure
                      > depends on how much distillate you feed to the second column
                      (i.e..
                      > power of the boiler comes to play via RR)?

                      I used 700W total and I haven't checked exactly the production rate
                      but It's about two drops per second, maybe more, I'll check next
                      time. Yes the power on column 2 should be adjusted according to the
                      feed. The more power you use the faster it can separate. When I
                      tested this I didn't know how much the valve should have been
                      opened, but it wasn't that hard to adjust, Maybe I use more power
                      than needed for that column, but it's not much power anyway so that
                      doesn't matter so much. Instead of having a valve at the bottom I
                      think you could make a plate that removes about half the flux as
                      product, remaining part reboils. It will self adjust the power
                      depending on the feed then. Since I haven't tested that I can't say
                      if it'll work.

                      > From your drawing I assume that the control pipe of the first
                      column
                      > is sealed at the bottom and open at the top? Does it need to be
                      open
                      > at the top?

                      The product enter a pipe that is soldered onto the column. It's an 8
                      mm pipe. It's sealed at the bottom. So it will fill up with product.
                      once it is filled remaining goes out via the liquid lock and speed
                      is controlled with the valve so the RR won't drop too much. On the
                      top of that is an air escape to prevent siphoning. I ought to take a
                      picture of this but it's I've insulated all so much that it won't
                      help much right now. When I disassemble the still I'll take a photo,
                      if someone is planning to build this right now let me know, I'll
                      take a photo right away then. I made the liquid lock with a hose,
                      the needle valve is on the hose. The air escape is made with a T
                      connector. The reaction time on this setup is good, When the mash is
                      getting weak the product in the soldered pipe will boil and
                      production rate stops. then it starts again, the cycles are just a
                      few seconds, the weaker it gets the longer the boiling period gets.

                      > The second column is actually pretty straightforward, but I'd like
                      > to know a bit more about the operation. First of all how much
                      heads
                      > do you get from one run?

                      I try to keep it at 10:1 at least, so 10 drops of product and one
                      drop of head. I'm not sure how concentrated you can have without
                      getting some in the product. Have to check that further. The longer
                      the stripper is the higher the concentration can be, the more power
                      you give column 2 the higher the concentration of heads can be. It
                      seems to do okay even at 30:1 but I need to make more runs to be
                      sure of that. I don't use a valve at the top, I use a pipe with
                      passive air cooling, check the pictures, so it a little bit
                      difficult to adjust.

                      >Do you need to remove them at all or could
                      > you just let them buzz at the top of the column?

                      That's what you do in a way but I suppose you mean without removing
                      any, I think you need to remove some continuously or have a buffer
                      at the top to make that work. An interesting approach would be to
                      have a small bottle at the top the act as a buffer. All reflux from
                      c2 enter the bottle first and overflow from that returns to the
                      still. When the run is over, empty the bottle. Or make a head that
                      keeps a lot of reflux at the top and empty it at the end of the run.

                      >Isn't there a
                      > danger of overfilling column 2 if you withdraw the product slower
                      > than you feed the second column (I guess this is one reason why
                      you
                      > need the buffer)?

                      Check the pictures again, you can't overfill c2 because some of the
                      reflux is fed to the boiler, the remaining comes out as product. If
                      you feed it faster, the same amount of reflux will go to the boiler
                      as before, and you get more product. The valve act like a power
                      controller. taking a certain amount of reflux and feed that to the
                      reboiler, overflow is product.

                      >You mentioned that the second column couldn't cope
                      > with high concentration of heads without the buffer, what exactly
                      > happened? Did you get heads out from the product pipe? Did you try
                      > to equilibrate the second column?

                      I made sure that there where alcohol in c2 to begin with so it where
                      warm and ready for feed. When I fed it with product from c1 the
                      product from c2 still contained some heads. I can't turn off product
                      in c2 completely and let it equilibrate for some time, If I would do
                      that c2 will get more and more alcohol and the power will rise more
                      and more. But if you use a buffer at the top of c2.. then you have a
                      different situation.. now you got me thinking.

                      > Could you actually give a short description how you run this thing
                      > and what adjustments are required? I suppose once you get it
                      > adjusted it runs by itself?

                      sure, I fill the boiler with mash. I turn on power and cooling. I
                      place a can at the product and a bottle for the heads. Then I don't
                      have to do anything more, the valves has been set for previous run
                      so I don't need to change them.
                      When I check back and see that it's done (product rate has dropped a
                      lot) I turn off power but not cooling!
                      Even if I turn off power c2 still has got power to run since that
                      column only needs warm mash to make the alcohol boil. After a while
                      the temperature in c2 drops as well since the mash in the boiler
                      cools down. A neat little thing is that some alcohol will be kept in
                      c2 so next time you start up the still, c2 is ready for feed even
                      before you start to feed it with product from c1.
                      oh.. there is one thing I have to do more with my setup, the
                      condensation tube for heads in my version of c2 can sometimes get
                      become a problem because of air that it trapped inside the
                      condensation tube. So I have to suck out the air manually.

                      First time you run the still you have to adjust the valve for c1 to
                      be what you think is approriate speed. then feed that to c2 and try
                      to figure out what the setting should be on that valve.

                      About the ARC head, as I said there are no tails, but apparently you
                      can't feed the boiler with just about anything. I tried to distil
                      some molasses mash to vodka, and it was okay until the end, then I
                      got rum taste anyway. So keep to good mash for vodka. Good length
                      and packing is essential. As you have probably seen some some
                      Swedish fellows and I are trying to develop the idea a bit further.
                      Maybe it's possible to achieve simple operation with one column
                      only, we'll see

                      > I guess I'll just have to build one sooner or later, I just want
                      > understand this more thoroughly before I start tearing down my
                      > current rigs for spare parts :)

                      Yep it would be interesting to get data from more people. You always
                      seems to make some interesting changes to the setup so I'm looking
                      forward to hear about the future designs. Don't forget that you can
                      use only one condenser insted if you feed the vapour from c2 back
                      to c1. Not sure but that could be an better design even though it
                      increases height some.

                      Using a stripper to remove heads is not my invention, it's something
                      done in the industry for many years but I guess I'm probably one of
                      the first to build a home version.

                      //Johan
                    • abbababbaccc
                      Message 10 of 10 , Aug 1, 2004
                        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "random9988" <mugg@h...> wrote:
                        > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "abbababbaccc"
                        > <abbababbaccc@y...> wrote:
                        >
                        > > The second column is actually pretty straightforward, but I'd
                        like
                        > > to know a bit more about the operation. First of all how much
                        > heads
                        > > do you get from one run?
                        >
                        > I try to keep it at 10:1 at least, so 10 drops of product and one
                        > drop of head. I'm not sure how concentrated you can have without
                        > getting some in the product. Have to check that further. The longer
                        > the stripper is the higher the concentration can be, the more power
                        > you give column 2 the higher the concentration of heads can be. It
                        > seems to do okay even at 30:1 but I need to make more runs to be
                        > sure of that. I don't use a valve at the top, I use a pipe with
                        > passive air cooling, check the pictures, so it a little bit
                        > difficult to adjust.

                        I think the concentration of head components in a mash is around 1%
                        of total alcohol. I couldn't find exact figures but 1% seems to be
                        close assumption. I have been able to concentrate heads into 100ml
                        from 4 liters of total, so 30:1 will propably work quite well.

                        > >Do you need to remove them at all or could
                        > > you just let them buzz at the top of the column?
                        >
                        > That's what you do in a way but I suppose you mean without removing
                        > any, I think you need to remove some continuously or have a buffer
                        > at the top to make that work. An interesting approach would be to
                        > have a small bottle at the top the act as a buffer. All reflux from
                        > c2 enter the bottle first and overflow from that returns to the
                        > still. When the run is over, empty the bottle. Or make a head that
                        > keeps a lot of reflux at the top and empty it at the end of the run.

                        You don't need a bottle, just make the LM collector large enough. I
                        think 1 dl should be plenty. Just empty it after the run is finished.

                        > >Isn't there a
                        > > danger of overfilling column 2 if you withdraw the product slower
                        > > than you feed the second column (I guess this is one reason why
                        > you
                        > > need the buffer)?
                        >
                        > Check the pictures again, you can't overfill c2 because some of the
                        > reflux is fed to the boiler, the remaining comes out as product. If
                        > you feed it faster, the same amount of reflux will go to the boiler
                        > as before, and you get more product. The valve act like a power
                        > controller. taking a certain amount of reflux and feed that to the
                        > reboiler, overflow is product.

                        So you direct some flow back to the boiler, not the lower part (can
                        be thought as a boiler) of the second column? A small hole at the
                        lower part of column 2 could propably be used as overflow protection.
                        What am aiming towards is to equlibrate the column 2 at the start to
                        really concentrate all the heads. May not be necessary though.

                        > >You mentioned that the second column couldn't cope
                        > > with high concentration of heads without the buffer, what exactly
                        > > happened? Did you get heads out from the product pipe? Did you
                        try
                        > > to equilibrate the second column?
                        >
                        > I made sure that there where alcohol in c2 to begin with so it
                        where
                        > warm and ready for feed. When I fed it with product from c1 the
                        > product from c2 still contained some heads. I can't turn off
                        product
                        > in c2 completely and let it equilibrate for some time, If I would
                        do
                        > that c2 will get more and more alcohol and the power will rise more
                        > and more. But if you use a buffer at the top of c2.. then you have
                        > different situation.. now you got me thinking.

                        Yup, you could eliminate the buffer bottle and make the system really
                        nice and compact. Large LM reservoir at the top of C2.

                        > About the ARC head, as I said there are no tails, but apparently
                        you
                        > can't feed the boiler with just about anything. I tried to distil
                        > some molasses mash to vodka, and it was okay until the end, then I
                        > got rum taste anyway. So keep to good mash for vodka. Good length
                        > and packing is essential. As you have probably seen some some
                        > Swedish fellows and I are trying to develop the idea a bit further.
                        > Maybe it's possible to achieve simple operation with one column
                        > only, we'll see

                        Yeah, I'll have to think this further as well. The rum taste is
                        propably caused by some leftover sugar in the mash getting burned by
                        the heating element.

                        > > I guess I'll just have to build one sooner or later, I just want
                        > > understand this more thoroughly before I start tearing down my
                        > > current rigs for spare parts :)
                        >
                        > Yep it would be interesting to get data from more people. You
                        always
                        > seems to make some interesting changes to the setup so I'm looking
                        > forward to hear about the future designs. Don't forget that you can
                        > use only one condenser insted if you feed the vapour from c2 back
                        > to c1. Not sure but that could be an better design even though it
                        > increases height some.

                        Thanks for your kind words. I was thinking along the lines of ~500-
                        1000W, 2 * 40mm columns, elimination of buffer bottle, condenser made
                        of convector pipes and so on. I'll try to post a sketch when I got it
                        figured out.

                        > Using a stripper to remove heads is not my invention, it's
                        something
                        > done in the industry for many years but I guess I'm probably one of
                        > the first to build a home version.

                        IIRC the idea was discussed ~two years ago, but you sure get the
                        credit for pioneering this approach for homedistillers.

                        Greetz, Riku