sugar suspension.

  • moonshiyner
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 28, 2004
      G'day all

      just wondering if anyone can tell me if there's a trick to keeping
      sugar in suspension when making liquers.
      I made a bottle of Prestige creme de cacao & on the lablel it states
      add 280g granulated sugar and shake untill disolved (750ml bottle)
      Trouble is, the sugar is always setling out to the bottom of the
      botttle,
      there's got to be a better way ??
      Thanks
      Doug
    • Brewhaus
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 28, 2004
        Put the sugar and alcohol into a blender for a couple of minutes on high.
        Not only is this far easier and faster, but does a much better job of
        dissolving the sugar than you can do by simply shaking the bottle.

        Rick

        Brewhaus (America) Inc.
        Keller, TX 76248
        (817) 271-8041

        check us out on the web: www.brewhaus.com

        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 28, 2004
          I you do not have access to finely granulated sugar (caster sugar
          (fine granulated), pure icing sugar (pure confectioner's), you can
          grind it down yourself to a powder which will dissolve quickly.
          Temperature effects solubility also (as in tea and coffee).
          wal
          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Brewhaus" <rmorris@b...> wrote:
          > Put the sugar and alcohol into a blender for a couple of minutes on
          high.
          > Not only is this far easier and faster, but does a much better job of
          > dissolving the sugar than you can do by simply shaking the bottle.
          >
          > Rick
          >
          > Brewhaus (America) Inc.
          > Keller, TX 76248
          > (817) 271-8041
          >
          > check us out on the web: www.brewhaus.com

        • yttrium_nitrate
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 28, 2004
            Instead of adding sugar directly to the liquer, create sugar syrup
            but heating a bit of water and adding a hell of a lot of sugar to
            it.

            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 28, 2004
              1 cup of sugar dissolved in 1/2 cup of water is equivalent to 1 cup
              of granulated sugar.
              wal
              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "yttrium_nitrate" <incatare@h...>
              wrote:
              > Instead of adding sugar directly to the liquer, create sugar syrup
              > but heating a bit of water and adding a hell of a lot of sugar to
              > it.
              >
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > G'day all
              > >
              > > just wondering if anyone can tell me if there's a trick to
              keeping
              > > sugar in suspension when making liquers.
              > > I made a bottle of Prestige creme de cacao & on the lablel it
              > states
              > > add 280g granulated sugar and shake untill disolved (750ml bottle)
              > > Trouble is, the sugar is always setling out to the bottom of the
              > > botttle,
              > > there's got to be a better way ??
              > > Thanks
              > > Doug
            • Levi Langershank
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 28, 2004
                ....wouldnt one cup of sugar dissolved in any amount of water equal 1 cup of
                sugar???...:>)

                >From: "waljaco" <waljaco@...>
                >To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
                >Subject: [Distillers] Re: sugar suspension.
                >Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 15:51:59 -0000
                >
                >1 cup of sugar dissolved in 1/2 cup of water is equivalent to 1 cup
                >of granulated sugar.

              • Scott Petrinec
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 28, 2004
                  LMFAO!!!!

                  Levi Langershank <unit_77@...> wrote:....wouldnt one cup of sugar dissolved in any amount of water equal 1 cup of
                  sugar???...:>)

                  >From: "waljaco"
                  >To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
                  >Subject: [Distillers] Re: sugar suspension.
                  >Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 15:51:59 -0000
                  >
                  >1 cup of sugar dissolved in 1/2 cup of water is equivalent to 1 cup
                  >of granulated sugar.

                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Levi Langershank
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 28, 2004
                    ...:>)...not exactly advanced calculus...is it?...:>)

                    >From: Scott Petrinec <crazycro2@...>
                    >To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
                    >Subject: RE: [Distillers] Re: sugar suspension.
                    >Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 11:00:18 -0700 (PDT)
                    >
                    >LMFAO!!!!
                    >
                    >Levi Langershank <unit_77@...> wrote:....wouldnt one cup of sugar
                    >dissolved in any amount of water equal 1 cup of
                    >sugar???...:>)
                    >

                    > >From: "waljaco"
                    > >To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
                    > >Subject: [Distillers] Re: sugar suspension.
                    > >Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 15:51:59 -0000
                    > >
                    > >1 cup of sugar dissolved in 1/2 cup of water is equivalent to 1 cup
                    > >of granulated sugar.

                    >Yahoo! Groups Links

                    >Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Levi Langershank
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 29, 2004
                      ...so 125ml of water is weightless?......sorry if I offended you with my
                      attempt at a little humour...:>).......I would think,if I were to want to
                      store dissolved sugar,I would store it at the SG at which I planned to use
                      it.....:>)...but that said,I only use sugar to make Turbo/Sugar washs....I
                      dont drink artifically sweetened drinks,which is what,I beleive you are
                      making the syrup for...again,I appologize for the humour...:>)

                      >I cup (250ml) of sugar weighs about 110g. Dissolve this in 125ml
                      >water and it still weighs 110g. This is not the case if you use more
                      >water which dilutes your alcohol too.
                      >wal

                    • Héctor A. Landaeta C.
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 29, 2004
                        On 7/28/04 2:00 PM, "Scott Petrinec" <crazycro2@...> wrote:

                        > LMFAO!!!!

                        Say Scott, what does that mean?

                        Sucrose-water solutions tend to precipitate (sugar re-crystallizes) on time,
                        specially in the presence of ethanol and cold storage. The only sure way to
                        avoid this is to invert sucrose in a slightly acidic solution with some
                        heat. I use citric, but other food grade acids are perfectly suitable
                        (phosphoric, ascorbic, sulphuric, et al), until reaching a pH of 4-4.5.
                        This acidity goes well with fruit liqueurs and it opposes and complements
                        sugar's sweetness, increasing their drinkability by reducing the cloying
                        perception. The acidity of your fruit extract (if you're doing a fruit
                        liqueur) could invert the sucrose by itself but heat is a prerequisite in
                        this reaction that runs contrary to maintaining the freshness of fruit taste
                        on one hand and the presence of ethanol in that solution in the other.
                        Hope this helps.
                        Salud!
                        --
                        Hector Landaeta
                        Colonia Tovar - Venezuela.
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jul 30, 2004
                          We need humour.
                          Oops, sorry - 1 cup (250ml) of sugar weighs 225g; see msg 720.
                          wal
                          -- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Levi Langershank" <unit_77@h...>
                          wrote:
                          > ...so 125ml of water is weightless?......sorry if I offended you
                          with my
                          > attempt at a little humour...:>).......I would think,if I were to
                          want to
                          > store dissolved sugar,I would store it at the SG at which I planned
                          to use
                          > it.....:>)...but that said,I only use sugar to make Turbo/Sugar
                          washs....I
                          > dont drink artifically sweetened drinks,which is what,I beleive you
                          are
                          > making the syrup for...again,I appologize for the humour...:>)
                          >

                          > >I cup (250ml) of sugar weighs about 110g. Dissolve this in 125ml
                          > >water and it still weighs 110g. This is not the case if you use
                          more
                          > >water which dilutes your alcohol too.
                          > >wal

                          > MSN Toolbar provides one-click access to Hotmail from any Web page –
                          FREE
                          > download! http://toolbar.msn.click-
                          url.com/go/onm00200413ave/direct/01/