Leibig condenser

  • DeanThomas
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 26, 2004
      Hi guys
      I'm having trouble finding the info on correctly sizing a Liebig condenser.
      I've looked on Tony's site and found a calculator but it didn't work. Maybe because Im using Mozilla instead of internet explorer.
      In building A Home Distillation apparatus it states a 1 inch inner and 1 1/2 inch outer tube and a total length of 2 foot.
      I would have thought that these diameters were overkill. the length sounds OK.
      I was planning on 1/2 or 5/8 inch inner and maybe 7/8 inch outer tube at approx 2 foot long.
      My element will be no bigger than 2400 w my column is 2 1/5 inch diameter. Later on I will be adding a reflux condenser.
      Any suggestions or links to the required info would be appreciated.

      On a steep blurry learning curve.
      Dean.

    • Robert N
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 26, 2004
        Hi Dean, at best the Liebig that you are thinking of building will speed up
        the vapour as it goes through the Liebig part. At worst it will become a
        bottle neck and cause flooding. Personally I would make it bigger ie 1 5/8"
        with a 2" outer shell.

        Yours in spirit

        Robert

        _____

        I'm having trouble finding the info on correctly sizing a Liebig condenser.
        I've looked on Tony's site and found a calculator but it didn't work. Maybe
        because Im using Mozilla instead of internet explorer.
        In building A Home Distillation apparatus it states a 1 inch inner and 1 1/2
        inch outer tube and a total length of 2 foot.
        I would have thought that these diameters were overkill. the length sounds
        OK.
        I was planning on 1/2 or 5/8 inch inner and maybe 7/8 inch outer tube at
        approx 2 foot long.
        My element will be no bigger than 2400 w my column is 2 1/5 inch diameter.
        Later on I will be adding a reflux condenser.
        Any suggestions or links to the required info would be appreciated.

        On a steep blurry learning curve.
        Dean.

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129b6f6hc/M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/D=gr
        oups/S=1705041694:HM/EXP=1090932975/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*http:/compa
        nion.yahoo.com> click here

        :HM/A=2128215/rand=692123120>

        _____

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 26, 2004
          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "DeanThomas" <deanlil@p...> wrote:
          > Hi guys
          > I'm having trouble finding the info on correctly sizing a Liebig
          condenser.
          > I've looked on Tony's site and found a calculator but it didn't
          work. Maybe because Im using Mozilla instead of internet explorer.
          > In building A Home Distillation apparatus it states a 1 inch inner
          and 1 1/2 inch outer tube and a total length of 2 foot.
          > I would have thought that these diameters were overkill. the
          length sounds OK.
          > I was planning on 1/2 or 5/8 inch inner and maybe 7/8 inch outer
          tube at approx 2 foot long.
          > My element will be no bigger than 2400 w my column is 2 1/5 inch
          diameter. Later on I will be adding a reflux condenser.
          > Any suggestions or links to the required info would be appreciated.
          >
          > On a steep blurry learning curve.
          > Dean.

          Basically it's 'power in = power out'. If you're pumping in 2400
          watts per hour then you need a condenser that can remove same.

          2400 watts/hr = 8,190 BTU's/hr = 2,064 Kcal/hr = 8,640 Kj/hr

          You need to either have a large enough contact area for the heat
          transfer, or a high enough coolant throughput, or a compromise and
          combination of both. As to the actual workings of this, I don't
          really know. I've never bothered with it, just used a big enough
          liebig (like 1 metre x 18 mm inner x 25 mm outer).

          I know it's to do with 'heat transfer coefficient'. Maybe Tony or
          the Mikes could chime in here.

          A couple of figures worth consideration:
          Assuming you are at boiling point, then in an ideal system...
          it takes 630 watts/hr to vaporize 1 litre/hr of water.
          it takes 240 watts/hr to vaporize 1 litre/hr of pure alcohol.

          Assuming you are using a simple distillation (i.e. no reflux) and a
          standard abv of wash (15%) you could expect your vapour to be around
          55% alcohol. So the required power to cause this vaporization is
          about halfway between the two above figures, about 435 watts/hr. for
          each 1 litre/hr of distillate.

          So for 2400 watts input you will get something around 5.5 litres/hr
          distillate @ 55%abv. You will also need to remove that amount of
          heat per hour or all you'll be getting is vapour.

          Of course if you're using a reflux condenser coil as well, then the
          requirements for the liebig change dramatically to the smaller.

          HTH
        • Robert N
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 27, 2004
            Hi Dean I wrote the first message as I ducked out to work this morning. What
            I should have added is I am writing from experience, although I don’t
            profess to know the maths behind it. I use the lemon engineering method,
            suck it and see??? This is a link to the distiller’s files section; under
            “heat exchange unit” I am running a 2400 watt element in this stripping keg.
            That hose in and out is ¾” and is connected to a pond pump. That 200 litre
            drum of water will heat up from 25 degrees Celsius to around the 55~60
            Degrees Celsius in the 6 ~7 hours it takes to strip the 45 litres of 15~18%
            wash. Follow either link below to the photo.

            http://tinyurl.com/3zvq2

            or

            http://f4.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/cP0FQbew7Rcyev77ovS5Hbact-4F1W3uHW0JEBNM1y3W9a4
            _eQvhWAFiJ1UL_QN1qFUTg-lIn0p7sMeXkI3hJvr5fAQ/Heat%20Exchange%20Unit/pot%20st
            ill.jpg

            Yours in Spirit

            Robert

            _____

            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 27, 2004
              Hi Robert, I tried your links and they didn't work ill find them the old
              fashioned way in the files section.

              Dean

              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 27, 2004
                Hi Robert I have 1 7/8" and 1 1/8" at my disposal do you think this would do
                the job? if not Ill have to go to the place were my column came from the
                scrap yard and do some more shopping. We generally don't use any larger than
                1 1/8" in the domestic A/C market.
                How long is your Liebig ? no pun intended : ) with a smaller diameter I
                should make mine longer shouldn't I ?

                Thanks.

                Gee I luv bourbon

                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 27, 2004
                  The Liebig is 500mm long, and I would go visit the scrap yard if I were you.

                  Robert

                  _____

[...]

                  <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129ttan61/M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/D=gr
                  oups/S=1705041694:HM/EXP=1091017074/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*http:/compa
                  nion.yahoo.com> click here

                  :HM/A=2128215/rand=349318955>

                  _____

                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                • DeanThomas
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 27, 2004
                    Done Ill see if i can get to the scrap yard today Im getting closer to a
                    complete still and cant wait to see the finished product.
                    Ill have to borrow a digital camera so i can pop some photos in the files
                    section when im finished.

                    Thanks for your help.
                    Dean.

                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 27, 2004
                      Dean,
                      Just a lille idea, that I used to keep the size of Liebig condensor
                      smaler.
                      If you cut a strip of cu, the same width as your product tube and a
                      bit långer, then twist it so it looks like a skrew solder it inside
                      the condensor inner tube, and now all the vapor have to gå round and
                      merrily round to condense and get out.
                      Little bit more efficient this way.
                      Regards, Reima

                      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "DeanThomas" <deanlil@p...> wrote:
                      > Done Ill see if i can get to the scrap yard today Im getting closer
                      to a
                      > complete still and cant wait to see the finished product.
                      > Ill have to borrow a digital camera so i can pop some photos in the
                      files
                      > section when im finished.
                      >
                      > Thanks for your help.
                      > Dean.

                      > Yahoo! Groups Links
                    • DeanThomas
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 27, 2004
                        I'm actually thinking of making a double barrel sort of arrangement That is
                        two separate Liebig running side by side but joined at the top and the
                        bottom.
                        This will allow me to use smaller diameter tube and also to keep it shorter
                        than the original requirement. haven't really thought this through as yet if
                        you can pick holes in this idea let me know.

                        Dean.

                        Just a lille idea, that I used to keep the size of Liebig condensor
                        smaler.
                        If you cut a strip of cu, the same width as your product tube and a
                        bit långer, then twist it so it looks like a skrew solder it inside
                        the condensor inner tube, and now all the vapor have to gå round and
                        merrily round to condense and get out.
                        Little bit more efficient this way.
                        Regards, Reima

                        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "DeanThomas" <deanlil@p...> wrote:
                        > Done Ill see if i can get to the scrap yard today Im getting closer
                        to a
                        > complete still and cant wait to see the finished product.
                        > Ill have to borrow a digital camera so i can pop some photos in the
                        files
                        > section when im finished.
                        >
                        > Thanks for your help.
                        > Dean.

                        > Yahoo! Groups Links

                        Yahoo! Groups Links
                      • linw992003
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jul 28, 2004
                          Hi, Dean.
                          You mentioned earlier that you were going to add a reflux coil later.
                          Why not do it now and reduce the Liebig to a very manageable size? I
                          have just made my first reflux coil and it is a piece of the
                          proverbial. Not expensive, either. It will then do most of the work
                          taking the load off the Liebig. Just a thought.

                          Cheers, Lindsay.

                          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "DeanThomas" <deanlil@p...> wrote:
                          > I'm actually thinking of making a double barrel sort of arrangement
                          That is
                          > two separate Liebig running side by side but joined at the top and the
                          > bottom.
                          > This will allow me to use smaller diameter tube and also to keep it
                          shorter
                          > than the original requirement. haven't really thought this through
                          as yet if
                          > you can pick holes in this idea let me know.
                          >
                          > Dean.

                        • DeanThomas
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jul 28, 2004
                            Hi, Lindsay.
                            You make a good point I think i might just do that. its amazing what you
                            dont see when its right in front of you.
                            I'll Have to look into how many turns to make the reflux condenser I was
                            thinking twenty turns should do it But ill confirm that first, dont want to
                            over do it.

                            Thanks for the pointer.

                            Yahoo! Groups Links
                          • linw992003
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jul 28, 2004
                              Hi, Dean, no worries! I made mine from specs in Mike Nixon and Mike
                              McCaw's "The Compleat Distiller" (BTW, best money I have spent on this
                              hobby! No financial interest!!). The recipe is (are you feet and
                              inches or metric?) 14 ft of 3/16" tubing wound on 1 1/2" former for 2"
                              shroud. Gets you 27 turns allowing for the tails and the input tube
                              going from bottom to top. Stretch out coils to give space between
                              each coil. QED!

                              Have fun, Lindsay.