Re: New Type of Yeast

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 12, 2004
      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Mr. Brew Diggity Dog"
      <wacdog@y...> wrote:
      > Hey all, I haven't been here in a while, but i caught a tiny
      > article in the latest BusinessWeek about a new strain of yeast and
      > immediately thought of the group. In a nutshell: they genetically
      > engineered yeast to process glucose AND xylose. They claim a
      > increase in yield. Wow! But we won't get our hands on it anytime
      > soon. It's the property of Purdue University & they're going to
      > license the hell out of it.
      > If you care about the details: Xylose makes up roughly 30~40% of
      > celluloid materials like corn stalks, grass, wood chips, leaves,
      > They added just three genes to plain old Saccharomyces yeast so
      > it can break down both sugars at the same time.
      > This is something that's been worked on for a looong time & it
      > that Nancy Ho (the Purdue scientist who figured all this out) did
      > this in 1993. That means they've been fiddling with that yeast for
      > the last ten years.
      > They've leased the yeast to a Canadian company http://www.Iogen.ca
      > that uses it to produce ethanol suitable for mixing with gas. If
      > anyone wants to break the numbers down: they claim 75 Gallons per
      > of straw. with roughly 2/3 of the straw being converted. Sorry I
      > can't give more hard #'s but i didn't have access to the full text
      > her paper.
      > Would this stuff be drinkable w/no funny taste? Something just
      > wrong about raking the yard then tossing the leaves into the
      > fermenter. Still, any
      > Canadians wanna slip over to to Ottowa and grab us a sample?

      Nancy and Purdue aren't the only players in that lucrative
      bioethanol arena.

      "The race to create new microbes capable of fermenting the full
      range of sugars found in biomass has followed several successful
      pathways. Dr. Lonnie Ingram at the University of Florida started
      with an E. coli bacterium capable of metabolizing multiple sugars
      and added the ability to make ethanol—a feat for which he received
      U.S. Patent #5,000,000 in 1990. His work was sponsored by the
      Biofuels Program and others.

      Taking an approach that complements Dr. Ingram's E. coli, other DOE
      researchers started with the bacterium Zymomonas, a naturally
      efficient ethanol-producing bacterium, and added the capability for
      utilizing multiple sugars. (see "Zymomonas recognized by scientific

      DOE also helped support Purdue's Dr. Nancy Ho, who started with
      the "industrial workhorse" for ethanol production—the yeast
      Saccharomyces—and added the capability for utilizing multiple sugars.

      All three organisms are now being tested by industrial partners for
      use in bioethanol production."

      Full article here...

      Other related articles...

      Transcriptional profiling of