Soldering Al to Cu

  • Steve
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 11 11:46 PM
      While not an easy operation, it is possible to Solder Aluminum to Copper.
      As an Electrician I have had call to perform this a few times on circuit
      boards and control panels.

      The first thing one must do is to clean both elements very well, and this
      means with sand paper till bright, and then with a chemical cleaner.

      Then apply a heavy coating of flux, and separately "tin" each element. I.E.
      solder each piece alone and let cool.

      After cool enough to handle, you must sand or even file off the excess
      solder until both fit pieces together cold. This thin coating od solder
      will make it MUCH easier to join the elements

      After you have tinned and sanded these elements, and they fit tightly; then
      you may flux again, and solder together as normal, you will find this will
      work, but with some added effort.

      FYI from your not-so-local friend,
      Steve