Re: Cloudy

  • tmdellinger
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 11, 2004
      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rcp112000" <lcphil@c...> wrote:
      > I produced my first run yesterday and it came out 93% and crystal
      > clear. I diluted one jar down to 40% and it is clear as well.
      > Today I diluted another jar down to 40% and it is milky.
      >
      > any thoughts?

      My guess is that it's "chill haze"... not minerals or stuff
      leeched from plastic, but rather organic stuff that came over
      in the distillation. Stuff that's soluble at high proof but
      not at low proof. It's seen all the time when you dilute
      high-proof whiskies with water. It's also a function of
      temperature... haze will occur more easily at lower
      temperatures.

      Companies that bottle whisk/e/y will chill filter after
      dilution in order to prevent it.

      There's absolutely nothing wrong with haze... it's a cosmetic
      problem only. As a matter of fact, chill filtering is
      nowadays criticized as detrimental to quality, as it takes
      away some of taste from whiskies.

      On the other hand if you're going for the "absolutely as pur
      as possible" asthetic, then put it in the freezer, let the haze
      settle, then decant. Or you could rig up a filter of some sort to
      filter it out.

      Tim Dellinger