Re: Reusing

  • justin_dittmann
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 9, 2004
      Yep, your right there is no concern about salmonella in your final
      product. I just mearly cut and pasted that info from the first
      google page that came up on "egg white and fining". I didn't
      deliberately include the salmonella thing, it was just in the
      paragraph. If I was drinking the wash straight I might be concerned.
      Nothing will live through a boil or 70% ethanol, both are incredibly
      effective sanitizers/sterilizers. Which brings me to:

      Grayson Stewart said also:
      "I've been told by someone on the board here that he has even taken
      the spent wash after running a batch through his still and simply
      used that as a base for another batch and didn't even require adding
      another charge of yeast. I always thought the yeast would have died
      in the still at operating temperatures but he claims it works. I
      haven't tried it yet though."

      I think your mate probably meant that he just makes up a wash and
      adds it onto the spent yeast of the first wash (ie. doesn't throw
      the yeast cake away-there is still a huge amount of live yeast in
      there). This should work, though probably best if you added
      nutrients if it's just a sugar wash. In homebrewing beer it's common
      place to rack the fermented beer of the yeast cake and then just
      transfer a new fresh batch of unfermented beer straight on top of
      the yeast cake. This next brew flies along because of the huge yeast
      cell count. This process is especially useful when fermenting cold
      for lagers (8-10C).

      Cheers, Justin

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Allan Goldsmith <goldsmith@w...>

      <shinershane@y...>
      > > wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I use it for a Nutrient, what else would it be used for?
      > > >
      > > > SS
      > > >
      > > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Scott Petrinec
      <crazycro2@y...>

      > > freezer
      > > still
      > > out
      > > > warm
      > > two
      > > get
      > > Later
      > > > am
      > > far
      > > comments

      > > > Service.

      > > *Yahoo! Groups Sponsor*
      > > click here

      <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129snnmpd/M=295196.4901138.6071305.30011
      76/D=groups/S=1705041694:HM/EXP=1089441471/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf
      6/*http://companion.yahoo.com>

      subject=Unsubscribe>