Re: Removing Methanol

  • justin_dittmann
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 6 6:47 PM
      Your right Maxime,
      but James is using the amazing still which
      doesn't really have an easily separated heads. It's not like just
      collecting and discarding your first 100ml that comes out of the
      still in a reflux or pot still because the separation is no where
      near as good. I think with the amazing still you just have to work
      off the fact that with a sugar wash the methanol content is so low
      that it's not worth worrying about. Methanol production is more of a
      concern from fermentables containg lots of pectins.

      James, do a search in the archives for "sugar methanol" and you'll
      spot quite a bit of info on the amazing still and methanol as well
      as info about methanol production. From what I can see from a quick
      search through the archives this topic has been done to death. Also
      do a search in the archive for the "amazing still" and you'll find
      ideas and improvements and it'll answer all your questions. Use the
      archives, that's what they're there for.

      As for the activated carbon absorbing methanol, I don't think it can
      remove the methanol, but I haven't check up on this for quite a
      while and I forget now.

      Cheers, JD

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Maxime Belair