Re: [Distillers] Re: Absinthe Distillation, thujone

  • Rik
    Message 1 of 27 , Jul 6, 2004
      At 01:13 AM 7/6/2004 +0000, the1foy wrote:
      > > >Also, sage has thujone in it, and no one seems to
      > >>report "secondary effects" from sage.
      > > Actually, they do. See Ott, 1993 (389), cited above.
      >
      >I stand corrected, I was unaware of this.

      It's amazing how many things can have some psychoactive properties,
      if you take *enough* of them. Unfortunately, for most folks, the body
      load usually outweighs these effects.

      >I would also like to add that, regardless of the effects or lack
      >thereof of thujone, I hope that we can both agree that most of the
      >brands marketing their absinthe on high thujone content are not
      >focusing on making quality absinthe.

      Unfortunately, I've been unable to sample very many of the "new" Absinthes.
      Instead, I've been trying various recipes--all of which wind up tasting
      pretty similar.

      >None of the highly rated absinthes that I know of even mention thujone in
      >their marketing,

      Probably don't have to. Their market is educated enough to know
      what's in it, without having to be told.

      >....and quite a few of the ones that I know to be bad do.

      If you've got a bad product, you've got to depend on marketing to generate
      sales.
      Convince the suckers that "bad" is "good," and continually bring in fresh meat,
      to replace those gravitating towards other's quality products.

      "Absinthe, mother of happiness, O infinite liquor,
      you shimmer in my glass pale and green like the eyes
      of the mistress I once loved...."
      -- Gustave Kahn, "Absinthe"

      Rik