Re: milk jugs

  • Grayson Stewart
    Message 1 of 28 , Jul 3, 2004
      I think most everyone ferments in plastic as the alcohol
      concentration is not that great.

      I recorded that show from the History Channel...but what is EU TS-
      sender?
    • Spiderfly
      Message 2 of 28 , Jul 4, 2004
        Howdy Grayson

        EU-TS sender is the same as like BBC.
        What is your location?

        Maybe can you making a dvd?
        and you can send me a copy of that file to my pigeon-hole?

        We cannot see US TV only CNN via the TV-cable.

        All the best from the Netherlands

        Liam
        > I think most everyone ferments in plastic as the alcohol
        > concentration is not that great.
        >
        > I recorded that show from the History Channel...but what is EU TS-
        > sender?

        > Yahoo! Groups Links
        >

        > --
        > Deze email is gecontroleerd door CAIWAY Internet Virusvrij.
        > Voor meer informatie, zie http://www.caiway.nl/

        ---
      • Spiderfly
        Message 3 of 28 , Jul 4, 2004
          Hello Rana

          In europe we cannot see that channel only via the cable CNN.

          In your location living some of my mates. (These are flyfishers)

          Thanx for your info

          Liam

          Message 4 of 28 , Jul 4, 2004
            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Mark" <markgofast@h...> wrote:
            > I saw a TV show involving moonshine. The 'shiners were collecting /
            > storing / transportating their product in common plastic milk jugs.
            >
            > Maybe the abv wasn't that high - it looked like a pot still with a
            > long worm coil. But I thought that plastic milk jugs made poor
            > containers because of the reaction between the plastic and the
            > alcohol.
            >
            > What's the deal?

            Hi mark what was the name of the program I want to see if i can get it
            in the land of oz or if need be on the net.
            Thanks

            Dean
          • Zarklan Zhaphedoix
            Message 5 of 28 , Jul 5, 2004
              One reason that the distillate was coming out so fast might be the size of the operation. Some moonshiners use 500+ gallon boilers. I have seen pictures of an octopus like still where many boilers fed a single worm.

              Rana Pipiens <ranawater@...> wrote:
              Mark, I saw that same History Channel documentary and thought the same thing. I think they said that the product was 160 proof too and I think that would mean a second time through the pot still. Notice how fast the distillate was coming out? Someone on a homebrewing site pointed out that the same channel has another documentary called "Distillers" which will air in the US on July 12. I'm not sure of the time. By the way do you agree that that was an interesting show? Rana

              Mark <markgofast@...> wrote:I saw a TV show involving moonshine. The 'shiners were collecting /
              storing / transportating their product in common plastic milk jugs.

              Maybe the abv wasn't that high - it looked like a pot still with a
              long worm coil. But I thought that plastic milk jugs made poor
              containers because of the reaction between the plastic and the
              alcohol.

              What's the deal?

              Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

              Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

            • tmdellinger
              Message 6 of 28 , Jul 5, 2004
                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Rana Pipiens <ranawater@y...>
                wrote:
                > Josh, I think that the concern is with high abv. I had a cylinder
                for testing specific gravity with hydrometer at normal beer and wine
                %abvs that started to dissolve at high % when checking distillate with
                an alcoholmetmeter. Rana

                At the laboratory where I work, we buy 200 Proof ethanol, and
                it comes in HDPE (high density polyethylene) containers with
                the little "2" recycling symbol on the bottom.

                My feeling is that high-volume moonshine operations could
                make much worse decisions about what to ship their product in
                than food-grade polyethyhlene.

                Tim Dellinger
              • linw992003
                Message 7 of 28 , Jul 5, 2004
                  --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "tmdellinger" <tmdellinger@y...> wrote:

                  > At the laboratory where I work, we buy 200 Proof ethanol, and
                  > it comes in HDPE (high density polyethylene) containers with
                  > the little "2" recycling symbol on the bottom.
                  >
                  > My feeling is that high-volume moonshine operations could
                  > make much worse decisions about what to ship their product in
                  > than food-grade polyethyhlene.
                  >
                  > Tim Dellinger

                  200 proof! I think that answers the question about HDPE!

                  Cheers, Lindsay.
                • Rana Pipiens
                  Message 8 of 28 , Jul 5, 2004
                    Thanks Tim. I'm looking for some items and will look for the symbols you mentioned at a lab supplier. Rana
                    tmdellinger <tmdellinger@...> wrote:--- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Rana Pipiens <ranawater@y...>
                    wrote:
                    > Josh, I think that the concern is with high abv. I had a cylinder
                    for testing specific gravity with hydrometer at normal beer and wine
                    %abvs that started to dissolve at high % when checking distillate with
                    an alcoholmetmeter. Rana

                    At the laboratory where I work, we buy 200 Proof ethanol, and
                    it comes in HDPE (high density polyethylene) containers with
                    the little "2" recycling symbol on the bottom.

                    My feeling is that high-volume moonshine operations could
                    make much worse decisions about what to ship their product in
                    than food-grade polyethyhlene.

                    Tim Dellinger

                    Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                  • Andrew Forsberg
                    Message 9 of 28 , Jul 5, 2004
                      Hi Tim,

                      Except you wouldn't drink that ethanol, even after diluting it, would
                      you? Or would you?

                      What's the shelf life for pure ethanol in hdpe?

                      Cheers
                      Andrew

                      >At the laboratory where I work, we buy 200 Proof ethanol, and
                      >it comes in HDPE (high density polyethylene) containers with
                      >the little "2" recycling symbol on the bottom.
                      >
                      >My feeling is that high-volume moonshine operations could
                      >make much worse decisions about what to ship their product in
                      >than food-grade polyethyhlene.
                      >
                      >Tim Dellinger

                    • tmdellinger
                      Message 10 of 28 , Jul 5, 2004
                        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Forsberg <andrew@u...>
                        wrote:
                        > Hi Tim,
                        >
                        > Except you wouldn't drink that ethanol, even after diluting it,
                        would
                        > you? Or would you?

                        Ummm.... why not? It's pure ethanol. If there were any
                        impurities in there, then they might negatively effect our
                        experiments.

                        Only the stuff for sale at the hardware store has benzene,
                        methanol, etc. in it.

                        > What's the shelf life for pure ethanol in hdpe?

                        I have no idea... the bottles don't list a shelf life. I assume
                        it's years and years, as long as the cap stays sealed and
                        you store it in a cool, dark place.

                        The ethanol bottles are a little bit thicker than your standard
                        milk jug, but I assume that's to prevent breakage. Flammable
                        liquid spills are a little more dangerous than spilled milk.

                        Tim Dellinger
                      • Andrew Forsberg
                        Message 11 of 28 , Jul 5, 2004
                          >>What's the shelf life for pure ethanol in hdpe?
                          >>

                          >I have no idea... the bottles don't list a shelf life. I assume
                          >it's years and years, as long as the cap stays sealed and
                          >you store it in a cool, dark place.

                          I remember reading somewhere about how you can't reliably ferment drinks
                          like mead over a long period of time in plastic because the material is
                          slightly porous.

                          Ahh, I found it -- page 14 of the Compleat Distiller: 'Glass is
                          especially recommended because it's impervious to oxygen. A plastic
                          container would allow significant amounts of oxygen to diffuse through
                          the walls during the very long, quiet fementation traditional to mead.'

                          Not that that's the last word on the subject, and of course not all
                          plastics are made equal! However 100% alc would turn into 96% over a
                          period of time *if* hdpe were porous. If that is acceptable for some lab
                          experiment purposes, then perhaps so would small amounts of hdpe leached
                          into the solvent.

                          Cheers
                          Andrew
                        • Larry Bump
                          Message 12 of 28 , Jul 5, 2004
                            Andrew Forsberg wrote:

                            > However 100% alc would turn into 96% over a
                            > period of time *if* hdpe were porous. If that is acceptable for some lab
                            > experiment purposes, then perhaps so would small amounts of hdpe leached
                            > into the solvent.

                            Pretty much anything is porous to *something*.
                            You are asking the wrong question;
                            How large is an alcohol molecule?
                            How large is an oxygen atom?

                            HDPE can let oxygen into the brew, which is bad for mead. It does not
                            let the ethanol out.

                            Larry
                          • Andrew Forsberg
                            Message 13 of 28 , Jul 5, 2004
                              >Pretty much anything is porous to *something*.
                              >You are asking the wrong question;
                              >How large is an alcohol molecule?
                              >How large is an oxygen atom?
                              >
                              >HDPE can let oxygen into the brew, which is bad for mead. It does not
                              >let the ethanol out.

                              I wasn't thinking about letting ethanol out -- more about letting
                              moisture (i.e., water) in. H2O is smaller than ethanol, but larger than
                              oxygen. So it's reasonable to expect the abv to drop over time.

                              At any rate, re: toxic substances in hdpe -- a quick google found this
                              where a scientest suggests that it's not so much the hdpe istelf you
                              should look to for in cases of ethanol contanimation, but the catalyst
                              residue from the manufacture of hdpe:
                              http://www.ivstandards.com/tech/advice/stability/12-03.asp

                              <quote>
                              Robert and his associates were working on a health problem that he
                              assumed was caused by an unidentified contaminant in ethanol. The
                              ethanol was 96%, shipped in 50 gallon HDPE barrels, and then diluted
                              with water to 36% for drinking. Robert suggested a possible source for a
                              toxic contaminant might be a substance in the polyethylene matrix. He
                              asked Paul for any suggestions of what substances present in HDPE could
                              be leached out by 96% ethanol.

                              Paul Gaines answers:
                              *RE: Contaminants of Ethanol in HDPE*
                              Dear Robert,

                              Hopefully the following will be of help in your investigation:

                              1) Trace metals from the catalyst residue. HDPE is prepared by a
                              catalytic process where the catalyst is incorporated (entrapped) in the
                              final product. The catalyst is typically an alumina or alumina/silica
                              based catalyst with a mixture of Ti, and Mg chlorides (Ziegler-Natta
                              type catalyst) *plus* other elements. Therefore look for trace metals
                              such as Si, Al, Ti, Mg, Cr, Zn, Fe, etc. ICP-OES is a good technique to
                              use for both qualitative and quantitative purposes.

                              2) If the drum has a 'color' then a dye or pigment is used. Take a
                              sample of the drum HDPE and ash it in a Pt crucible by first igniting
                              the HDPE with a propane flame and then taking the ash up to 500 °C in a
                              muffle furnace. If there is no ash then a dye is the color agent. The
                              presence of an ash that has the color of the drum is an indication of a
                              pigment. In the case of a pigment the use of EDXRF can identify the
                              elemental components and indicate the pigment used. Many pigments
                              contain toxic elements such as As, Pb, Sb, and Cd. If an organic dye is
                              used then extraction of the HDPE with a more non-polar solvent (such as
                              methylene chloride) and identification by molecular spectroscopy
                              (UV/VIS, IR and NMR) is adequate for identification (i.e., current data
                              bases may allow for identification by IR alone).

                              In summary, catalyst residues and certain inorganic pigments should be
                              of concern. Please note that contaminants do not have to be soluble
                              (i.e., biological systems can be poisoned by particulate matter when
                              ingested as could be the case with inorganic pigments and catalyst
                              residuals). Organic dyes may have long term health problems but are less
                              likely to be a problem.
                              </quote>

                              Cheers
                              Andrew
                            • Larry Bump
                              Message 14 of 28 , Jul 5, 2004
                                Andrew Forsberg wrote:

                                > I wasn't thinking about letting ethanol out -- more about letting
                                > moisture (i.e., water) in. H2O is smaller than ethanol, but larger than
                                > oxygen. So it's reasonable to expect the abv to drop over time.

                                Hmm. I have never seen alcohol or water migrate through HDPE, but
                                diesel does readily.

                                > At any rate, re: toxic substances in hdpe -- a quick google found this
                                > where a scientest suggests that it's not so much the hdpe istelf you
                                > should look to for in cases of ethanol contanimation, but the catalyst
                                > residue from the manufacture of hdpe:
                                > http://www.ivstandards.com/tech/advice/stability/12-03.asp

                                That was quite good, thanks. People forget just what could contaminate
                                and ruin their "stuff".

                                Larry
                              • the1foy
                                Message 15 of 28 , Jul 6, 2004
                                  > Someone on a homebrewing site pointed out that the same channel
                                  >has another documentary called "Distillers" which will air in the
                                  >US on July 12. I'm not sure of the time. By the way do you agree
                                  >that that was an interesting show? Rana

                                  Just out of curiosity, do you have any idea where they got their
                                  information? Because I can't find any listing for a Distillers show
                                  on the 12th, or any day near, and would really like to catch it if
                                  it's coming on.
                                • Rana Pipiens
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Jul 6, 2004
                                    I've e-mailed the person who posted the announcemnet to find out his source and what time it is airing and will let you know when he answers. He did say that it was part of the "Modern Marvels" series. Rana

                                    the1foy <the1foy@...> wrote:> Someone on a homebrewing site pointed out that the same channel
                                    >has another documentary called "Distillers" which will air in the
                                    >US on July 12. I'm not sure of the time. By the way do you agree
                                    >that that was an interesting show? Rana

                                    Just out of curiosity, do you have any idea where they got their
                                    information? Because I can't find any listing for a Distillers show
                                    on the 12th, or any day near, and would really like to catch it if
                                    it's coming on.

                                    Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                                  • Don Rickles
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Jul 6, 2004
                                      also there is a video in the store called "Rumrunners, Moonshiners And Bootleggers " that apparently aired on the "Time Machine" series. Description of the video is "
                                      They raced through the back roads and sailed the high seas for a decade, delivering a precious liquid cargo to a nation whose thirst could not be quenched by legislation. From high-toned clubs and hidden speakeasies to backwoods shacks, Prohibition did little to stop America's consumption of liquor--it just diverted the flow to different channels.

                                      RUMRUNNERS, MOONSHINERS AND BOOTLEGGERS revisits the rough-and-tumble days of Prohibition for a candid, inside look at the legacy of this tumultuous time. Former Rumrunners talk of their run-ins with the Coast Guard, and we'll see how NASCAR owes its existence to the failed attempt to dry out the nation. Authors like Philip P. Mason (Rumrunning and the Roaring Twenties) and Gary Regan (The Book of Bourbon) provide a historical perspective, while retired agents and prosecutors reflect on their difficult, dangerous and ultimately futile efforts to enforce a law that America clearly did not support.

                                      Filled with extraordinary tales, rarely-seen footage and a host of captivating photos, RUMRUNNERS, MOONSHINERS AND BOOTLEGGERS is an unforgettable portrait of one of the most compelling eras in our history."

                                      I've e-mailed the person who posted the announcemnet to find out his source and what time it is airing and will let you know when he answers. He did say that it was part of the "Modern Marvels" series. Rana

                                      the1foy <the1foy@...> wrote:> Someone on a homebrewing site pointed out that the same channel
                                      >has another documentary called "Distillers" which will air in the
                                      >US on July 12. I'm not sure of the time. By the way do you agree
                                      >that that was an interesting show? Rana

                                      Just out of curiosity, do you have any idea where they got their
                                      information? Because I can't find any listing for a Distillers show
                                      on the 12th, or any day near, and would really like to catch it if
                                      it's coming on.

                                      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                                      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                    • Don Rickles
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Jul 6, 2004
                                        Oh, and one more called "The prohibition Era" description:
                                        "
                                        It's remembered as a glamorous era of bootleggers, bathtub gin, illicit speakeasies and Al Capone's whiskey-fueled empire. Journey from the mining towns of Kansas to the rum-running island of St. Pierre to learn the real, unvarnished story of Prohibition.

                                        Take a fascinating look at the saloon-smashing Carrie Nation, the teetotalling tycoon Henry Ford and lawyer-turned-bootlegger George Remus. Discover how Prohibition's first President, Warren G. Harding, served cocktails in the White House. And meet Al Capone's oldest brother a successful enforcement agent in Nebraska!

                                        Filled with the evocative sounds of "Sweet Georgia Brown," "Stompin' at the Savoy" and Duke Ellington's toe-tapping "It Don't Mean a Thing if it Ain't Got That Swing," THE PROHIBITION ERA is a stirring trip through one of American history's most uninhibited times."

                                        Message 19 of 28 , Jul 7, 2004
                                          O.K., the scheduling for "Distillers" on the History Channel has been changed twice and is now scheduled for Wednesday August 4at around 7 or 8 PM. The video you are mentioning is the show I was talking about in my original post. Rana

                                          Don Rickles <drickles37388@...> wrote:also there is a video in the store called "Rumrunners, Moonshiners And Bootleggers " that apparently aired on the "Time Machine" series. Description of the video is "

                                          Message 20 of 28 , Jul 7, 2004
                                            wrote:
                                            > O.K., the scheduling for "Distillers" on the History Channel has
                                            been changed twice and is now scheduled for Wednesday August 4at
                                            around 7 or 8 PM. The video you are mentioning is the show I was
                                            talking about in my original post. Rana

                                            My latest source (got an email this morning) says that "Distillers"
                                            is scheduled for:

                                            THE CORRECTED DATE: WEDNESDAY, JULY 14, 2004 at 7pm in most cities:
                                            check your local listings to be sure.

                                            It looks to me like they're shuffling things around a lot, so I
                                            personally won't believe anything I hear until I actually see the
                                            program air.

                                            Tim Dellinger
                                          • Rana Pipiens
                                            Message 21 of 28 , Jul 7, 2004
                                              I agree Tim. I got the July 14th date and then later got the August 4th date. But as you said check your schedules. Rana