Re: [Distillers] Re: milk jugs

  • Rana Pipiens
    Message 1 of 28 , Jul 3, 2004
      Hello Spiderman. I didn't record the show but they advertised that copies could pe purchased through The History Channel. I saw this show last Thursday night in southern California. Rana

      Spiderfly <whperdix@...> wrote:Howdy folks

      Does anybody save that TV-show?
      Was that an EU TS-sender?

      Liam

      Message 2 of 28 , Jul 3, 2004
        Josh, I think that the concern is with high abv. I had a cylinder for testing specific gravity with hydrometer at normal beer and wine %abvs that started to dissolve at high % when checking distillate with an alcoholmetmeter. Rana

        Josh Wilson <lordwilson@...> wrote:Ive made wine form welch's grape juice and I allow it to ferment in the plastic jugs with screw on tops.. as long as I open them up every other day or so to let out some of the pressure, it works jsut fine.. it doesnt have an unpleasnat taste or anything..

        > > I saw a TV show involving moonshine. The 'shiners were collecting /
        > > storing / transportating their product in common plastic milk jugs.
        > >
        > > Maybe the abv wasn't that high - it looked like a pot still with a
        > > long worm coil. But I thought that plastic milk jugs made poor
        > > containers because of the reaction between the plastic and the
        > > alcohol.
        > >
        > > What's the deal?
        >
        > Yep, sounds fine to me if they are made from the same materials as NZ
        > ones. Ours are made from HDPE (high density polyethylene). Another
        > suitable plastic is PET (polyethylene terephthalate) as used for
        > softdrink and juice bottles and other products.
        >
        > Of course, many say that plastic should never be allowed near your
        > alcohol so ultimately you will have to decide for yourself!

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      • Grayson Stewart
        Message 3 of 28 , Jul 3, 2004
          I think most everyone ferments in plastic as the alcohol
          concentration is not that great.

          I recorded that show from the History Channel...but what is EU TS-
          sender?
        • Spiderfly
          Message 4 of 28 , Jul 4, 2004
            Howdy Grayson

            EU-TS sender is the same as like BBC.
            What is your location?

            Maybe can you making a dvd?
            and you can send me a copy of that file to my pigeon-hole?

            We cannot see US TV only CNN via the TV-cable.

            All the best from the Netherlands

            Liam
            > I think most everyone ferments in plastic as the alcohol
            > concentration is not that great.
            >
            > I recorded that show from the History Channel...but what is EU TS-
            > sender?

            > Yahoo! Groups Links
            >

            > --
            > Deze email is gecontroleerd door CAIWAY Internet Virusvrij.
            > Voor meer informatie, zie http://www.caiway.nl/

            ---
          • Spiderfly
            Message 5 of 28 , Jul 4, 2004
              Hello Rana

              In europe we cannot see that channel only via the cable CNN.

              In your location living some of my mates. (These are flyfishers)

              Thanx for your info

              Liam

              > Hello Spiderman. I didn't record the show but they advertised that copies
              could pe purchased through The History Channel. I saw this show last
              Thursday night in southern California. Rana

              > Spiderfly <whperdix@...> wrote:Howdy folks
              >
              > Does anybody save that TV-show?
              > Was that an EU TS-sender?
              >
              > Liam

            • deanthms
              Message 6 of 28 , Jul 4, 2004
                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Mark" <markgofast@h...> wrote:
                > I saw a TV show involving moonshine. The 'shiners were collecting /
                > storing / transportating their product in common plastic milk jugs.
                >
                > Maybe the abv wasn't that high - it looked like a pot still with a
                > long worm coil. But I thought that plastic milk jugs made poor
                > containers because of the reaction between the plastic and the
                > alcohol.
                >
                > What's the deal?

                Hi mark what was the name of the program I want to see if i can get it
                in the land of oz or if need be on the net.
                Thanks

                Dean
              • Zarklan Zhaphedoix
                Message 7 of 28 , Jul 5, 2004
                  One reason that the distillate was coming out so fast might be the size of the operation. Some moonshiners use 500+ gallon boilers. I have seen pictures of an octopus like still where many boilers fed a single worm.

                  Rana Pipiens <ranawater@...> wrote:
                  Mark, I saw that same History Channel documentary and thought the same thing. I think they said that the product was 160 proof too and I think that would mean a second time through the pot still. Notice how fast the distillate was coming out? Someone on a homebrewing site pointed out that the same channel has another documentary called "Distillers" which will air in the US on July 12. I'm not sure of the time. By the way do you agree that that was an interesting show? Rana

                  Mark <markgofast@...> wrote:I saw a TV show involving moonshine. The 'shiners were collecting /
                  storing / transportating their product in common plastic milk jugs.

                  Maybe the abv wasn't that high - it looked like a pot still with a
                  long worm coil. But I thought that plastic milk jugs made poor
                  containers because of the reaction between the plastic and the
                  alcohol.

                  What's the deal?

                  Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                  Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                • tmdellinger
                  Message 8 of 28 , Jul 5, 2004
                    --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Rana Pipiens <ranawater@y...>
                    wrote:
                    > Josh, I think that the concern is with high abv. I had a cylinder
                    for testing specific gravity with hydrometer at normal beer and wine
                    %abvs that started to dissolve at high % when checking distillate with
                    an alcoholmetmeter. Rana

                    At the laboratory where I work, we buy 200 Proof ethanol, and
                    it comes in HDPE (high density polyethylene) containers with
                    the little "2" recycling symbol on the bottom.

                    My feeling is that high-volume moonshine operations could
                    make much worse decisions about what to ship their product in
                    than food-grade polyethyhlene.

                    Tim Dellinger
                  • linw992003
                    Message 9 of 28 , Jul 5, 2004
                      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "tmdellinger" <tmdellinger@y...> wrote:

                      > At the laboratory where I work, we buy 200 Proof ethanol, and
                      > it comes in HDPE (high density polyethylene) containers with
                      > the little "2" recycling symbol on the bottom.
                      >
                      > My feeling is that high-volume moonshine operations could
                      > make much worse decisions about what to ship their product in
                      > than food-grade polyethyhlene.
                      >
                      > Tim Dellinger

                      200 proof! I think that answers the question about HDPE!

                      Cheers, Lindsay.
                    • Rana Pipiens
                      Message 10 of 28 , Jul 5, 2004
                        Thanks Tim. I'm looking for some items and will look for the symbols you mentioned at a lab supplier. Rana
                        tmdellinger <tmdellinger@...> wrote:--- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Rana Pipiens <ranawater@y...>
                        wrote:
                        > Josh, I think that the concern is with high abv. I had a cylinder
                        for testing specific gravity with hydrometer at normal beer and wine
                        %abvs that started to dissolve at high % when checking distillate with
                        an alcoholmetmeter. Rana

                        At the laboratory where I work, we buy 200 Proof ethanol, and
                        it comes in HDPE (high density polyethylene) containers with
                        the little "2" recycling symbol on the bottom.

                        My feeling is that high-volume moonshine operations could
                        make much worse decisions about what to ship their product in
                        than food-grade polyethyhlene.

                        Tim Dellinger

                        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                      • Andrew Forsberg
                        Message 11 of 28 , Jul 5, 2004
                          Hi Tim,

                          Except you wouldn't drink that ethanol, even after diluting it, would
                          you? Or would you?

                          What's the shelf life for pure ethanol in hdpe?

                          Cheers
                          Andrew

                          >At the laboratory where I work, we buy 200 Proof ethanol, and
                          >it comes in HDPE (high density polyethylene) containers with
                          >the little "2" recycling symbol on the bottom.
                          >
                          >My feeling is that high-volume moonshine operations could
                          >make much worse decisions about what to ship their product in
                          >than food-grade polyethyhlene.
                          >
                          >Tim Dellinger

                        • tmdellinger
                          Message 12 of 28 , Jul 5, 2004
                            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Forsberg <andrew@u...>
                            wrote:
                            > Hi Tim,
                            >
                            > Except you wouldn't drink that ethanol, even after diluting it,
                            would
                            > you? Or would you?

                            Ummm.... why not? It's pure ethanol. If there were any
                            impurities in there, then they might negatively effect our
                            experiments.

                            Only the stuff for sale at the hardware store has benzene,
                            methanol, etc. in it.

                            > What's the shelf life for pure ethanol in hdpe?

                            I have no idea... the bottles don't list a shelf life. I assume
                            it's years and years, as long as the cap stays sealed and
                            you store it in a cool, dark place.

                            The ethanol bottles are a little bit thicker than your standard
                            milk jug, but I assume that's to prevent breakage. Flammable
                            liquid spills are a little more dangerous than spilled milk.

                            Tim Dellinger
                          • Andrew Forsberg
                            Message 13 of 28 , Jul 5, 2004
                              >>What's the shelf life for pure ethanol in hdpe?
                              >>

                              >I have no idea... the bottles don't list a shelf life. I assume
                              >it's years and years, as long as the cap stays sealed and
                              >you store it in a cool, dark place.

                              I remember reading somewhere about how you can't reliably ferment drinks
                              like mead over a long period of time in plastic because the material is
                              slightly porous.

                              Ahh, I found it -- page 14 of the Compleat Distiller: 'Glass is
                              especially recommended because it's impervious to oxygen. A plastic
                              container would allow significant amounts of oxygen to diffuse through
                              the walls during the very long, quiet fementation traditional to mead.'

                              Not that that's the last word on the subject, and of course not all
                              plastics are made equal! However 100% alc would turn into 96% over a
                              period of time *if* hdpe were porous. If that is acceptable for some lab
                              experiment purposes, then perhaps so would small amounts of hdpe leached
                              into the solvent.

                              Cheers
                              Andrew
                            • Larry Bump
                              Message 14 of 28 , Jul 5, 2004
                                Andrew Forsberg wrote:

                                > However 100% alc would turn into 96% over a
                                > period of time *if* hdpe were porous. If that is acceptable for some lab
                                > experiment purposes, then perhaps so would small amounts of hdpe leached
                                > into the solvent.

                                Pretty much anything is porous to *something*.
                                You are asking the wrong question;
                                How large is an alcohol molecule?
                                How large is an oxygen atom?

                                HDPE can let oxygen into the brew, which is bad for mead. It does not
                                let the ethanol out.

                                Larry
                              • Andrew Forsberg
                                Message 15 of 28 , Jul 5, 2004
                                  >Pretty much anything is porous to *something*.
                                  >You are asking the wrong question;
                                  >How large is an alcohol molecule?
                                  >How large is an oxygen atom?
                                  >
                                  >HDPE can let oxygen into the brew, which is bad for mead. It does not
                                  >let the ethanol out.

                                  I wasn't thinking about letting ethanol out -- more about letting
                                  moisture (i.e., water) in. H2O is smaller than ethanol, but larger than
                                  oxygen. So it's reasonable to expect the abv to drop over time.

                                  At any rate, re: toxic substances in hdpe -- a quick google found this
                                  where a scientest suggests that it's not so much the hdpe istelf you
                                  should look to for in cases of ethanol contanimation, but the catalyst
                                  residue from the manufacture of hdpe:
                                  http://www.ivstandards.com/tech/advice/stability/12-03.asp

                                  <quote>
                                  Robert and his associates were working on a health problem that he
                                  assumed was caused by an unidentified contaminant in ethanol. The
                                  ethanol was 96%, shipped in 50 gallon HDPE barrels, and then diluted
                                  with water to 36% for drinking. Robert suggested a possible source for a
                                  toxic contaminant might be a substance in the polyethylene matrix. He
                                  asked Paul for any suggestions of what substances present in HDPE could
                                  be leached out by 96% ethanol.

                                  Paul Gaines answers:
                                  *RE: Contaminants of Ethanol in HDPE*
                                  Dear Robert,

                                  Hopefully the following will be of help in your investigation:

                                  1) Trace metals from the catalyst residue. HDPE is prepared by a
                                  catalytic process where the catalyst is incorporated (entrapped) in the
                                  final product. The catalyst is typically an alumina or alumina/silica
                                  based catalyst with a mixture of Ti, and Mg chlorides (Ziegler-Natta
                                  type catalyst) *plus* other elements. Therefore look for trace metals
                                  such as Si, Al, Ti, Mg, Cr, Zn, Fe, etc. ICP-OES is a good technique to
                                  use for both qualitative and quantitative purposes.

                                  2) If the drum has a 'color' then a dye or pigment is used. Take a
                                  sample of the drum HDPE and ash it in a Pt crucible by first igniting
                                  the HDPE with a propane flame and then taking the ash up to 500 °C in a
                                  muffle furnace. If there is no ash then a dye is the color agent. The
                                  presence of an ash that has the color of the drum is an indication of a
                                  pigment. In the case of a pigment the use of EDXRF can identify the
                                  elemental components and indicate the pigment used. Many pigments
                                  contain toxic elements such as As, Pb, Sb, and Cd. If an organic dye is
                                  used then extraction of the HDPE with a more non-polar solvent (such as
                                  methylene chloride) and identification by molecular spectroscopy
                                  (UV/VIS, IR and NMR) is adequate for identification (i.e., current data
                                  bases may allow for identification by IR alone).

                                  In summary, catalyst residues and certain inorganic pigments should be
                                  of concern. Please note that contaminants do not have to be soluble
                                  (i.e., biological systems can be poisoned by particulate matter when
                                  ingested as could be the case with inorganic pigments and catalyst
                                  residuals). Organic dyes may have long term health problems but are less
                                  likely to be a problem.
                                  </quote>

                                  Cheers
                                  Andrew
                                • Larry Bump
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Jul 5, 2004
                                    Andrew Forsberg wrote:

                                    > I wasn't thinking about letting ethanol out -- more about letting
                                    > moisture (i.e., water) in. H2O is smaller than ethanol, but larger than
                                    > oxygen. So it's reasonable to expect the abv to drop over time.

                                    Hmm. I have never seen alcohol or water migrate through HDPE, but
                                    diesel does readily.

                                    > At any rate, re: toxic substances in hdpe -- a quick google found this
                                    > where a scientest suggests that it's not so much the hdpe istelf you
                                    > should look to for in cases of ethanol contanimation, but the catalyst
                                    > residue from the manufacture of hdpe:
                                    > http://www.ivstandards.com/tech/advice/stability/12-03.asp

                                    That was quite good, thanks. People forget just what could contaminate
                                    and ruin their "stuff".

                                    Larry
                                  • the1foy
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Jul 6, 2004
                                      > Someone on a homebrewing site pointed out that the same channel
                                      >has another documentary called "Distillers" which will air in the
                                      >US on July 12. I'm not sure of the time. By the way do you agree
                                      >that that was an interesting show? Rana

                                      Just out of curiosity, do you have any idea where they got their
                                      information? Because I can't find any listing for a Distillers show
                                      on the 12th, or any day near, and would really like to catch it if
                                      it's coming on.
                                    • Rana Pipiens
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Jul 6, 2004
                                        I've e-mailed the person who posted the announcemnet to find out his source and what time it is airing and will let you know when he answers. He did say that it was part of the "Modern Marvels" series. Rana

                                        the1foy <the1foy@...> wrote:> Someone on a homebrewing site pointed out that the same channel
                                        >has another documentary called "Distillers" which will air in the
                                        >US on July 12. I'm not sure of the time. By the way do you agree
                                        >that that was an interesting show? Rana

                                        Just out of curiosity, do you have any idea where they got their
                                        information? Because I can't find any listing for a Distillers show
                                        on the 12th, or any day near, and would really like to catch it if
                                        it's coming on.

                                        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                                      • Don Rickles
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Jul 6, 2004
                                          also there is a video in the store called "Rumrunners, Moonshiners And Bootleggers " that apparently aired on the "Time Machine" series. Description of the video is "
                                          They raced through the back roads and sailed the high seas for a decade, delivering a precious liquid cargo to a nation whose thirst could not be quenched by legislation. From high-toned clubs and hidden speakeasies to backwoods shacks, Prohibition did little to stop America's consumption of liquor--it just diverted the flow to different channels.

                                          RUMRUNNERS, MOONSHINERS AND BOOTLEGGERS revisits the rough-and-tumble days of Prohibition for a candid, inside look at the legacy of this tumultuous time. Former Rumrunners talk of their run-ins with the Coast Guard, and we'll see how NASCAR owes its existence to the failed attempt to dry out the nation. Authors like Philip P. Mason (Rumrunning and the Roaring Twenties) and Gary Regan (The Book of Bourbon) provide a historical perspective, while retired agents and prosecutors reflect on their difficult, dangerous and ultimately futile efforts to enforce a law that America clearly did not support.

                                          Filled with extraordinary tales, rarely-seen footage and a host of captivating photos, RUMRUNNERS, MOONSHINERS AND BOOTLEGGERS is an unforgettable portrait of one of the most compelling eras in our history."

                                          I've e-mailed the person who posted the announcemnet to find out his source and what time it is airing and will let you know when he answers. He did say that it was part of the "Modern Marvels" series. Rana

                                          the1foy <the1foy@...> wrote:> Someone on a homebrewing site pointed out that the same channel
                                          >has another documentary called "Distillers" which will air in the
                                          >US on July 12. I'm not sure of the time. By the way do you agree
                                          >that that was an interesting show? Rana

                                          Just out of curiosity, do you have any idea where they got their
                                          information? Because I can't find any listing for a Distillers show
                                          on the 12th, or any day near, and would really like to catch it if
                                          it's coming on.

                                          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                                          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                        • Don Rickles
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Jul 6, 2004
                                            Oh, and one more called "The prohibition Era" description:
                                            "
                                            It's remembered as a glamorous era of bootleggers, bathtub gin, illicit speakeasies and Al Capone's whiskey-fueled empire. Journey from the mining towns of Kansas to the rum-running island of St. Pierre to learn the real, unvarnished story of Prohibition.

                                            Take a fascinating look at the saloon-smashing Carrie Nation, the teetotalling tycoon Henry Ford and lawyer-turned-bootlegger George Remus. Discover how Prohibition's first President, Warren G. Harding, served cocktails in the White House. And meet Al Capone's oldest brother a successful enforcement agent in Nebraska!

                                            Filled with the evocative sounds of "Sweet Georgia Brown," "Stompin' at the Savoy" and Duke Ellington's toe-tapping "It Don't Mean a Thing if it Ain't Got That Swing," THE PROHIBITION ERA is a stirring trip through one of American history's most uninhibited times."

                                            Message 21 of 28 , Jul 7, 2004
                                              O.K., the scheduling for "Distillers" on the History Channel has been changed twice and is now scheduled for Wednesday August 4at around 7 or 8 PM. The video you are mentioning is the show I was talking about in my original post. Rana

                                              Don Rickles <drickles37388@...> wrote:also there is a video in the store called "Rumrunners, Moonshiners And Bootleggers " that apparently aired on the "Time Machine" series. Description of the video is "

                                              Message 22 of 28 , Jul 7, 2004
                                                wrote:
                                                > O.K., the scheduling for "Distillers" on the History Channel has
                                                been changed twice and is now scheduled for Wednesday August 4at
                                                around 7 or 8 PM. The video you are mentioning is the show I was
                                                talking about in my original post. Rana

                                                My latest source (got an email this morning) says that "Distillers"
                                                is scheduled for:

                                                THE CORRECTED DATE: WEDNESDAY, JULY 14, 2004 at 7pm in most cities:
                                                check your local listings to be sure.

                                                It looks to me like they're shuffling things around a lot, so I
                                                personally won't believe anything I hear until I actually see the
                                                program air.

                                                Tim Dellinger
                                              • Rana Pipiens
                                                Message 23 of 28 , Jul 7, 2004
                                                  I agree Tim. I got the July 14th date and then later got the August 4th date. But as you said check your schedules. Rana